Notices

Night Sweats

Old 07-01-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Yeah. I got sober a few months ago. My doc was a great help. Lots of advice, Ativan and B1 and 2.

Of course, this past week my wife left town to vacation with her sister; so I thought I could afford a couple days indulgence. Oops. I drank for two days and now am going through the whole aspect of withdrawl again. The Ativan helps with the shakes, but these hot flashes, particularly right after I eat, are really driving me nuts.

The upside is, having been through this crud before, I recall the stages. The downside is just going through them. I hadn't heard about "kindling" where the withdrawl gets worse the more times you go through it. Now that I know, hopefully it will be yet another item in the "reasons to maintain recovery" bad.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Recoverying Chef

D
Old 07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Originally Posted by Pick-a-name View Post
My A/H used to do that during the night after drinking.......YUCK!
Wow, that makes me feel like Sh*t-- I wonder if my BF was thinking how yucky I was when I was sweating. How unattractive- I think I really do not want the answer to that.

He never said anything, but you probably didn't as well.

Hangs her head in shame, again..

Anyhow, I obviously sweated a lot when I stopped first few nights, and when I drank a lot. maybe it is our body trying to sweat out the booze?
Old 07-01-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

RecoveryingChef.....Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum

Hope this will be your final go round with alcohol...
Old 07-01-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
100,000th Registered Member

The sweats I can live with, it's the absolute terror that keeps me in the trap.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
100,000th Registered Member

Just copped on to what's under my username. Have I won an i-phone?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

The first 5 days, I sweat horribly at night and did not sleep well at all. I was lucky (in my mind) as my husband is not here right now. I am glad he wasn't around for that because I felt so gross. However, I knew the possibility of it happening because of SR. I read a lot before I decided to quit and expected to have a tough time. Finishing up day 12, and looking forward to waking up sober again!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Zee

Originally Posted by sober2bee View Post
Congratulations!!!!!!

woop woop xxx
Old 07-01-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I have an unfortunate condition known as hyperhidrosis, which causes increased sweating all of the time, including occasional soaking night sweats. However, I have noticed that since stopping drinking a month ago I have experienced less profuse sweating and I am not sweating as often.

Gurujake, Sometimes twitching while drifting to sleep is perfectly normal. If you've ever heard of sniglets, they referred to these as "napjerks"
Old 07-01-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by sober2bee View Post
Not that I am aware of sober2bee
but welcome to our recovery community..

We do give away our information and support..
glad you found us...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I seem to have night sweats which have gone on for months (3 now) less severe than at the start when i had three or four dry teashirts so I could take off the soaked shirts through the night and put something dry on - and rotate the duvet and change pillows - the volume of fluid is mind boggling - now usually one change per night and not every night. Initially was definitely drink related for me - now it may be more to do with the new AD I am on as I have had this before with ADs (especially for the first few months)
As others have mentioned you can end up VERY dehydrated- this can leave you very weak, fatigued, tired and confused when you get up. Obviously keep the fluids coming and plenty of B vitamins - (my GP prescribed fortified B complex and extra folate - also a B vitamin: long term alcohol apparently affects the receptors in the gut for absorbing some B vitamins so alcoholics are often B vit depleted- this can have serious deliterious consequences. So even if you have used multivits long term (when drinking) it may not have been enough and you could be depleted. For this reason a long course of high dose B vits was recommended to me during the first 3 months of recovery)
David
Old 07-07-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I am not looking forward to these at all! I was going wash the sheets today , but guess that would be kinda dumb.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

You might not get them Woot. I had them for a week and a half and had to change my sheets everyday, but then I got them when I was drinking towards the end too.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I think with the amount and frequency of my current use, Ill be happy if I am not hugging a toliet dry heaving hours on end my first week.
After reading a bit more on detox, night sweats should be the least of my worries.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Just talk to your doctor Woot. Second guessing what might happen will drive you crazy (I speak from experience ) x
Old 11-30-2012, 01:18 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecoveryingChef View Post

The upside is, having been through this crud before, I recall the stages. The downside is just going through them. I hadn't heard about "kindling" where the withdrawl gets worse the more times you go through it. Now that I know, hopefully it will be yet another item in the "reasons to maintain recovery" bad.
First, hi everyone....it is a tremendous relief to see so many people describing exactly what i've been going through for the last 3 days (not my first time either sadly), because your non-afflicted friends will never understand not only the physical discomfort but the helplessness, the shame, the crushing anxiety, the etc etc etc. So: thanks for sharing.

And 2nd, yes, they are well-defined stages, and you do get through them. i'm on day four, haven't slept more than an hour a night since i stopped, have the horrible jiggly leg, night sweats, can't really eat, horrible general anxiety/confusion. i really second the recommendations about vitamins and water. i would also recommend not eating much and letting your body focus on cleaning itself rather than ingesting new stuff. yesterday i went for a four-hour walk to try and tire my legs out, it helped (also made me feel slightly more "normal"), but it felt like i could've walked all night. ben-gay is also a good idea for the legs.

but it's all a little better today. luckily i work from home and my wife is out of town so i can feel as crazy as i like without anyone but the cats having to watch.

oh right: the reason i made this first post at all was to tell RecoveryingChef that yeah, kindling exists. i hope i've really and truly decided that i don't want a "next" one of these.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:54 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR jo3nkitty

D
Old 11-30-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I have never had the REALLY BAD withdrawals. Yes, anxiety, night sweats and insomnia and those are awful. But I am fine after 1 day. So I am amazed at people getting through physical illness, seizure, hallucinations, etc for 3 or 4 days. I would have just started drinking again.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

Seeing a Dr is probably a better bet

D
Old 11-30-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

after a couple times of trying that approach you realize you're just prolonging the really really unpleasant part and the drinking's not much fun by that point anyway
during my worst ever, five years ago or so, i was having very bad looping aural hallucinations, hadn't slept in days...i went the doctor route, and it was such a wise (if desperate) decision, even if only to have someone tell you they knew how to help you. give you a big ol thiamine pill, some temazepam, appt at rehab, etc. i don't want to say that it was "great", but...you know what i mean. actually it was pretty great.