Notices

For Chronic Relapsers, or just relapsers

Old 09-15-2005, 01:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For Chronic Relapsers, or just relapsers

Got a book called Staying Sober and Straight.

It is designed to get "patients" past that annoying thing we call relapses. It is a cognitive, behavioural approach that works on thinking and beliefs about booze.

Dont be put off by the cheap, flimsy look of the book - it is well written and based on six years of goverment research.

As far as I can tell it is compatable with any recovery journey.

For those who find it difficult "not picking" up - then it maybe a well needed tool in the box, so to speak.

I am certainly pleased I have got it.

(Also, it mentions AA three times, and is neither anti or pro). Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Old 09-15-2005, 02:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In Paradise!

There are a lof of good reads out there.
Hazeldon publication has great recovery reads

I will have to check this one out.

I see your in London, ever hear of a movie called "What the bleep do we know"

Science andispirituality come togetheriin this mind-bending trip down theirabbit hole.

Embark onia life-changing journey with Amanda (Marlee Matlin),ia divorced photographer who tumbles downia metaphysical rabbit hole. Her mind-bending voyage through theiworlds of science andispirituality includes revelations byiquantum physics experts, playful animation, andievenia conversation withia wise, 35,000 year-old being. Ultimately, Amanda's perception of reality isiturned inside out anditheimeaning of life becomes clear. Seeifor yourself why this groundbreaking movie became one of theimost compelling anditalked about films of theiyear.

The reason I mention this flick is it caiters (sp?) to the intellectual part of the "Why" question that somes up so often in life.
I dont know if they have it PAL and in your region, maybe only NTSC but you can check

~GB

note to self: get off the "What the bleep do we know" thing. Third time mentioning it.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sounds interesting pal...will check it out if I get the chance.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I liked it. It didn't change my mind about anything, but it was good food for thought. It's kind of a documentary style movie. I'd like to watch it again. Maybe even pick up a used copy.

Paul
Old 09-15-2005, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Like the sound of the book and the movie, thanks!
Old 09-15-2005, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
learning

Thanks Mill,

That book outlines a tool that we employ at SMART recovery called an ABC. For those of you who wish to read about it before buying a book it can be found HERE .

Lapse prevention is the primary focus of early sobriety. When someone has a maladaptive behavior pattern, breaking it involves retraining your mind and finding alternative actions. The good news is that this gets much easier with practice.

FORWARD STEPS TO RECOVERY

CONSTRUCTIVE (RELAPSE PREVENTIVE) THINKING
1. Thought Stopping: I’m not going to think about that; I’ve already made my decision.
2. Thought Substitution: I’m in danger — I’d better be alert; I think I’ll call Bob; I think I’ll plan my vacation.
3. Debating/Disputing/Challenging Your Addictive Voice: Where is the evidence? Is this thought or belief true or valid? How does this thought or belief serve my best interest?
4. Coping Statements: This feeling will eventually pass; It’s hard, but not too hard; Condemn the behavior, not the person.
5. Positive Affirmation: I have said no to myself before — I can do so again; I’m going to treasure my sobriety; Even if I have lapsed, I can accept myself
6. Review of Goals (Desirable Outcomes): I want to stop drinking — it’s my goal; I have already decided that I want to keep my relationship with my wife; I want to go home sober.
7. Review of Negative Consequences (Undesirable Outcomes): Eventually, I will lose my job; I can’t take two drinks without taking several more and getting drunk; My relationships will suffer.
8. Do Written Homework (Problem Sheet, ABC Sheet, or Drinking Sheet).
9. Refraining: Look at the situation from another angle or another person’s viewpoint. Look at the benefits of choosing not to engage in the addictive behavior.
10. Rational-Emotive Imagery: Imagine yourself behaving or feeling differently about the situation. Close your eyes and practice responding to someone in a different, more rational, more effective manner.

CONSTRUCTIVE (RELAPSE PREVENTIVE) ACTIONS
1. Get involved in a project or a recreational activity.
2. Walk the other way.
3. If there are any remaining liquor, drugs, sweets, or other addictive substances in the house, throw them out or flush them down the toilet.
4. Call a friend.
5. Fill in a worksheet.
6. Do something intentionally to lift your spirits other than drinking or drugging: e.g., climb a mountain, go for a brisk walk.
7. Have some seltzer or other non-alcoholic beverage.
8. Go to a SMART Recovery meeting.
9. Read a chapter from Ellis and Velten’s When AA Doesn’t Work for You or another REBT self-help book.
10. Divert/enjoy yourself: Exercise, go for a walk, watch TV, play a game, cook, take a hot bath, have a cup of coffee, read the newspaper, listen to music.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
In Paradise!

Thats the country code DVD are used for....

Originally Posted by Millwallj
sounds interesting pal...will check it out if I get the chance.
PAL is the code that is used for the different regions around the world to play different media. PAL is an acronym so is NTSC what it stands for ...no idea

Information on PAL and NTSC

Oh the little things, That was funny!
Old 09-16-2005, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
fire dancer

"what the bleep do we know?".......oh yyes, check out any of his stuff!