Notices

Want (have) to quit, need to taper off though...

Old 08-20-2005, 01:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info on drugs folks. Sleeping has been a real issue for me. No sleep at all 2 nights ago, about 3 hours last night after finally breaking down and taking two over the counter unisom. I hope you are having better luck sleeping Junkyard. This is hard enoughwithout thinking you need to nod off all the time (and can't) especially with all the stresses in your life JDog. Best of luck.

Marilyn
Old 08-20-2005, 05:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob
How do you feel about the mandated AA meetings?

Doorknob
I am not a fan of mandated ANYTHING. AA meetings worked well for me the first time. But they started to wear on me after while.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Arrow

Originally Posted by michaelj
Junkyard dog,
I hope you slept well. I am impressed by the clarity of your thinking despite detoxing and clearly being under stress. If you continue in this way you will certainly be successful. I wish you and your family the very best.
Michael
I got 7 hours of sleep, finally. I think I will sleep better tonight.

I am told I am a "little" grumpy today
I am working on that.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chy
( do you look real mean or something? *LOL*)
LOL, I play hockey and I am very aggressive. I was nicknamed that 8 years ago by my team leader that said I played like a Junkyard Dog that has not been fed in weeks.

Talking with all of you is keepig me well distracted. Isn't it amazing how many liquer stores you see when you just quit drinking - lol.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It has been a good 18 hours. Following docs advice to the tee. Shakes has subsided quite a bit. A little grumpy but that will pass too. Trying to be more careful there.

Valium is definately helping me cope with the shakes. I am going to ask for naltrexone to curb urges. I am also taking antabuse as prescribed.

So far, all is well. Thanks for listening.

- Michael (father of 2)
Old 08-21-2005, 08:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Been over 2 days!

I got over 12 hours sleep last night. Feeling MUCH better. Shakes are minimal, even before valium. But doc says to kep taking it to stave off siezures. Which he is not worrying too much about.

Luckily I am in great shape to begin with. I think this is helping me get through this faster.

I am taking many supplements to help remove the toxins and drinking a gallon of water a day. I also added 2 protein shakes to my 3 meals.

Still taking antabuse (will for months).

Finally coming out of the fog a little.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Glad to see you're doing well JD. The valium sure does help doesn't it?

I'm sure I don't have to warn you of the dangers of drinking on top of antabuse. I was suprised to see you took it only 12 hours after drinking. Here in the UK most docs won't prescribe it until you've been clean 72 hours.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RovingStar
Glad to see you're doing well JD. The valium sure does help doesn't it?

I'm sure I don't have to warn you of the dangers of drinking on top of antabuse. I was suprised to see you took it only 12 hours after drinking. Here in the UK most docs won't prescribe it until you've been clean 72 hours.

Good luck to you.
Thanks.

Valium does help A LOT!

I did have a headache for 12 hours of so after taking antabuse so early. But that was better than relapsing.

I felt the first hit today getting in truck after work and realizing there was no bottle in the glove box

Ate handful of hard candy instead
Old 08-22-2005, 03:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good for you JD.

Scarey to think how many times my glovebox has contained anything but gloves lol Driving to work whilst swigging out of a small bottle of my glovebox??? How crazy is that!!! Hope I don't find myself there again. Keep on trying, it's all we can do. I have hope and I hope to act on it.

RS.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Day 5

Shakes are all but gone. Cravings will be there for some time but it is easier to drive by liquer stores without wanting to turn in and buy

I started taking valium just in morning and at at night before bed. No need to 2 doses during day. Shakes are not bad enough to warrant that. Plus I was starting to forget things, can't have that.

I have been around people drinking and I do not feel uncomfortable. I am getting used to it. Still taking Antabuse so even if I was tempted to do it, I couldn't. I will take that for at least 6 months.

Starting to smile again, starting to laugh, starting to get my sense of humor again - it feels good. Soon my life will be be back to normal.

Thanks again for all your support. I will be checking in regularly and offering support to others.

I started a supplement detox program (ran it by my doctor) and it seems to be cleansing me out well. Judging by the amount of time I spend in the bathroom ==nuff detail there==

Talk to you all soon.

Love you guys!