Notices

W W W

Old 06-13-2005, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chy

W W W

I'm one who used the information highway to find a solution to my problem. Eventually, I was led here to find some help, which led me to a program that has worked for me.

The benefits of using the web to seek out help and achieve sobriety is how I did it. When thinking about alternatives there was no way in hell I'd have gotten the courage to go to my first AA meeting. There's no way I would have been able to "face" anyone and discuss my issues. There's no way I would have probably come back to learn, read, listen to the several thousands online discussing their problems finding some sort of common bond with others like me.

There's a great deal to be said about the world wide web, some accuse people like me of being chicken, unwilling, and to sick to do what it really takes... which is another point of discussion. What does it take?

In believing each of us has individual choices, options, solutions available in the grand scheme it doesn't matter what it took, or how I got here, just so long as I did right?

When browsing the internet looking for an answer this was the site that eventually led me here... you know.. the one that helps you decide if your concern over drinking/using is warranted. No doubt about it for me, not for the WWW, I'd still be out there.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/DrinkTooMuch.html
Old 06-13-2005, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hiya Chy,

Weird thing, I don't remember ever being scared to go to an AA meeting. I've always liked the adrenaline and exitement of trying something new and putting myself in new situations. However, I found that it didn't fit me, and my mom, who was a couple of states away, went to an open meeting, and understood exactly why. She then hit the internet and sent me info on alternatives. Then she helped me get a computer and get online. Now, about 3 years later, I am realizing that I may have to move back to a less rural area to find the help I need. Anyway, no accusations here.

Doorknob
Old 06-13-2005, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Chy --
and oddly (Godly?) enough -- the URL you posted is Potsdam College's domain I suppose. State University of New York at Potsdam is where I really began to drink hard as a Freshman in college... way back when.

God, I have some horrid drinking memories from those days. I was like a lion let out of a cage, going from High School and living at home to going away to college "on my own." Drinking almost every night, failing out of school.

I was actually on my way to audition for a pretty esteemed choir on campus (I was a voice major at Crane School of Music) and I was vomiting the entire way there. It actually helped clear out my throat and I got the audition. But I sure couldn't appreciate it. I showed up for finals drunk, ugh.... many lessons learned...

Ken
Old 06-13-2005, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Chy,

I too got sober online. I just couldn't manage to NOT stop at a liquor store when I went out to face to face (f2f) meetings. I will forever be grateful to the online chat rooms such as the old Another Empty Bottle and Another 24 Hours. Sober Recovery has such an awesome message board! I learn something everytime I visit.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Chy,
I also first went online to look for information and help, and found that forums provided me with the support that proved most helpful.
The first web site I really explored was Dr. Sarmiento's:
http://www.cyberpsych.com/
It's got a lot of useful articles based on cognitive approaches, and it linked to SMART Recovery.
Don S
Old 06-13-2005, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Greetings Chy,

My road to recovery started here at SR and is all I have used thus far. Been cigarette free over 11 weeks, off the pot and tequila for around 45 day's. I did a search on google to see how long it would take to feel the effects of not smoking cigarettes. That landed me here.

Before I found this site, and then read my life long story on addictions, lived, and written by other people. I never would have admitted to having a addiction problem. I have had issues with just about any kind of drug or alcohol you can name. I could quit any of the "hard drugs" and just smoke my pot and drink straight Tequila from the bottle. I have had more difficulty laying down the pot then the booze.

I had an eight year affair with Vicodin and Soma after a accident at work. Did a massive amount of Cocaine for a couple of years. Vodka, Gin, Tequila, Sodium Phenobarbital, Seconal, Tuinal, Speed (pills and meth), were mixed in for good measure.

But just smoking pot was no big deal right? I had smoked pot for 37 years, daily for over 30 years. I suspect if I had never smoked pot I would have never touched the other stuff. I also believe if I had never drank I would have never smoked pot. So searching for cigarette info that landed me here got me to look at these other things.

Reading your life story written, and lived by others is a very powerful thing.

Sorry if the drug stuff is off topic in a alcohol thread, but to me it’s all the same.

Long live the Internet!
Old 06-13-2005, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Michael

Chy,

I am with you all the way in admiration for the web and the opportunities it provides for people like us. How else could we communicate so effortlessly from one side of the world to the other and meet so many people sharing similar experiences?
I expect there are purists who will argue that the use of this medium is not as good as face to face meetings. All I can say to them is that if something works then don't knock it. AA doesn't do it for me but the web does. It keeps me focussed on sobriety and I for one am grateful for its existence.
Best wishes
Michael
Old 06-13-2005, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chy,

Your words are great and I totally agree that, all that really matters, is that we got here. We found sobriety. And SR allows us to help ourselves and maybe sometimes to help others. I had been sober for a couple of years before I found SR and my life had improved, but finding the wisdom and love here at SR has been incomparable in helping me. It's hard to imagine life with the internet now and I am surely grateful that it is here.

Love, Anna
Old 06-13-2005, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow!! I am so impressed that so many got sober online. That is wonderful.

I find it a tool, an adjunct, of sorts. I guess I still need the f2f stuff, but my hat's off to anyone who does this thing on the Internet. I luv the Internet. There is so much information out there about so many different things.

I myself got to a point in my drinking where I had NO life, outside the Internet. So I guess that's why I need the other stuff, in order to get me a life.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Interesting Thread Chy....

I have a different take on internet recovery.

I was sober for 5 years before I touched a computer.

I started to used Chat and Discussion in Another Empty Bottle and what is now About.com.
Of course...being an addict of MORE soon I was zipping in and out of many!

These days I use a program named Zoom. It allows me to read and type with voice.

I now read my AA books on line. I use SR for the daily readings. I go to AAOnline for meeting topics for F2F. I print out oddles of info and take to my home group..most members do not have a CP.

And I enhance my AA program by sharing on line.

I just bet Bill is tickled to see how AA and WWW mesh!
Old 06-13-2005, 03:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My internet recovery is just as important as my face to face stuff...
In fact when I came here to SR.. i was not leaving my home and it was my only connection to the world and the starting place for my true recovery from alcohol..... I mean with complete sincerity when I say that this place literally saved my life.....
Old 06-13-2005, 05:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chy

Yup me to Kel!
Old 06-13-2005, 10:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I wanted to add, the guy who founded Lifering had never even been to an AA meeting. I was really surprised to learn this. I don't know which came first, the online component at Unhooked or the F2F meetings, but I do know many there got sober strictly online with Lifering. I say whatever works. I am just a bit more treatment resistant than most folks. And it has been my experience that this forum is much more compassionate than any other I have come across -- read loving, tolerant, and supportive.

I told my sponsor tonight I hadn't had 60 days sober in 15 years and I think I kind of blew him away. He's got a tough case on his hands, but between AA and this, I am shooting for 60 and beyond.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Pheonix

You hit the nail on the head....

Right on, Chy! I would not be six days sober if not for SR. A lot of home drunks become more than a touch agoraphobic, and the idea of just waltzing into an AA meeting and saying " Honey, I'm home! " gave me a case of the extreme horrors. I don't feel that way now (well, OK, not that bad, anyway) and I have found that a couple of hours in the morning reading posts and making the occasional reply makes the rest of the day smoooooth.... thanks you guys!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Great thread, Chy! I have to say that I never looked on the internet for anything to help me stop drinking until I had already been through treament and been sober for a little while. I think I didn't seek out any info because then I would truly have to admit to myself that I didn't have a problem. I did use the internet to seek out new relationships, though, because I used to think if I could only find love then everything else would be okay! LOL

Since I have found SR, I have expanded my circle of recovery friends in ways I never could have possibly imagined. Thank you, Jon, for getting this thing started!

Hugs--

P.S. I was reading the stuff on that link you posted and the instructions for how to reduce your drinking and actually felt a little bit ill! LOL I cannot imagine trying to control my drinking in that way. For me, it is so much easier to just not drink at all. If I tried those methods I would be going insane. I would never be thinking about anything except when I would be able to have my daily drink. Sounds like he!!. Kinda reminds me of something I heard at a meeting--"I wish I could drink like normal people because then I would drink all the time!!"
Old 06-14-2005, 12:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

It never occured to me to use the net to get sober when, I first went to AA. I wasn't using the net back then. I found this site by accident looking either for inspiration and found the site I post on or, the recovery follies. I was pretty happy to have found this site. The site that several of us on S/R was on at the time went down and as far as I know, never came back on.

After chatting with people on here from Canada and some of our less populated stated that don't have meetings this is a blessing from God. I've learned so much from everyone on here. We do become like family on here.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dan

I was one of those people that thought the internet was going to pull people apart rather than bring them together. I never really had much use for it until I got home from rehab.
One morning, with the kids off to school, feeling a little less than certain about my life, I googled two words: sober and recovery.

A combination of faith and fate, I guess. Of course, the first search result was a link to the front door here. I had never seen a recovery website before, much less a message board.
I'll never forget nor regret coming here, and trying to find my place in this loving community. And through all the emotional highs and lows associated with being a member of a community, I retain a boundless gratitude for all that I have learned from the people here, friends that I have come to cherish.

So yeah, hats off to the internet and the world wide web.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hey Dan,

Not sure when you came back in, but sure good to see your screen name!

Doorknob
Old 06-20-2005, 02:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Dan)))

Chy;
Great thread!
And I agree, for what it's worth. It doesn't matter how anyone gets sober/clean/non-codie/mentally and physically healthier. What matters is that we DO.
Thank you SR!!!
L'Chaim!