Notices

antabuse

Old 04-26-2005, 05:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

antabuse

hi , im thinking of starting to take this drug , i have no medical insurance so im buying it online. I dont have a doctor so i have a couple questions for the board. Im a bartender so im in constant contact with alcohol , if it gets on my hands will it get me sick?
Old 04-26-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Loving Life and LVNitUP!

Hi there....

I have taken antabuse in the past and it worked great, mostly because of the risks my doctor explained to me about drinking while on it, including death.

I do not recall him ever saying that I could not get alcohol on my skin but I found this online:

AVOID ALL ALCOHOL INCLUDING alcohol found in sauces, vinegar, mouthwash, liquid medicines, lotions, after shave, or backrub products. A reaction to alcohol may cause flushing, nausea, thirst, abdominal pain, chest pain, dizziness, vomiting, fast breathing, fast heartbeat, fainting, difficult breathing, or confusion. Use caution when using topical products containing alcohol, such as cologne or perfume. Before using alcohol-containing products on the skin, test the product by applying some to a small area of the skin. If no redness, itching, headache, or nausea occur after 1 to 2 hours, you should be able to use the product.

Patients should be informed of the type of reaction which will be encountered if alcohol is taken overtly or as a component of food or other products

They should also be warned that reactions may occur with alcohol up to 14 days after ingestion of disulfiram.

Patients having a history of industrial contact dermatitis who currently work or have previously worked in the rubber industry should be evaluated for hypersensitivity to thiuram derivatives before receiving disulfiram (see Contraindications).

Patients exposed to organic solvents which may contain alcohol, acetaldehyde, paraldehyde or structural analogues are at risk of experiencing disulfiram alcohol reactions. Such exposure should be eliminated prior to treatment.

Should never be administered until the patient has abstained from alcohol for at least 12 hours.

I hope this will help!
I would never recommend anyone get this drug online, it's a very scary medication to try and self-dose. Please think about getting a doctor first....insurance or not!
Have a wonderful day!
PEACE
Old 04-26-2005, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!!

It is not a simple yes or no question. It depemds in your dosage and your senstivity to the antabuse.

You really should not begin antabuse ubless you have a few test done medically. When I was taking it..my doctor kept checking each 2 months for liver damage.

Please reconsider as antabuse can be dangerous.

Go to a doctor 1st..would you ask a doc to make a Long Island Iced Tea? We eaxh have our own professions!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Bump