Notices

I Did It!

Old 03-04-2005, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Did It!

After drinking at least 12 beers a day for about seven years I started cutting back last summer and got myself down to 4 or 5 a day. About two months ago I got my wisdom teeth pulled and realized I was able to go 9 days with no alcohol at all. I only drink on Saturdays and Sundays now, two or three beers at night. The old cravings are gone, shakes are gone, blood pressure is back to normal, just waiting for my liver panel results next week and hoping it's normal.

My doctor says I probably wasn't really addicted because I was able to "stop" or at least drink like a normal person without any outside help, (except that dentist visit). I just did it on my own. I realize that not everyone would find it this easy and I sure didn't think it would be this easy for me. But if you know you are drinking too much and are scared to quit, don't be scared! You may realize that you are able to control yourself, able to sleep normally, able to have fun socially without drinking; and you'll feel great when you wake up in the morning.

This forum helped while I was cutting back and not too happy about it at the time. The whole "I'm not alone" thing. I doubt that I'll be coming back here so I wanted to thank soberrecovery as well.

Good Luck everyone!
Old 03-04-2005, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Kev,
Congratulations on making recovery progress. I agree that SR is a great place to get a foothold on an addiction. It sounds like you're definitely making some healthy lifestyle changes by drinking in moderation. I wish I could drink in moderation; but, alas, I know I would lose control. I can't even entertain the idea of having one drink. How depressing! You're so lucky!
I can barely go a day without coming here and getting support. Glad you stopped by and made me depressed.
Val
Old 03-04-2005, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

G;ad you are doing so well.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, i am like Val. moderation will just never happen for me. I find it wholly impossible to drink any less than 4 beers when i drink. and stopping at 4 only happens very rarely for reasons i don't know. i usually drink 5, sometimes 6, never more. when i drink 4, i find i don't get dehydrated later, don't get up in the middle of the night to drink water, and don't feel so bad the next day. the only problem is, i cannot stop at 4 (95 percent of the time).
Old 03-04-2005, 08:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Glad you found something that works for you Kev!
Old 03-05-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Kev...
Sounds like you addressed the problem and have it under control.
Glad you are here to share it with us.