Notices

Tv Ads

Old 03-04-2005, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Post Tv Ads

TV ads tempt drinkers - study
By Guyon Espiner - Broadcasting reporter

Alcohol advertising on television tempts people with alcohol problems to return to drinking, a study shows.

Auckland University research recently published in the New York journal Contemporary Drug Problems, shows that alcohol advertisements on TV make it hard for people with alcohol problems to abstain from drinking.

Some said liquor advertising on TV had caused them to start drinking again.

The university's Alcohol and Public Health Research Unit took 21 people with current or past alcohol problems and recorded their responses to TV advertisements for alcohol.
Researchers say the study, conducted in 1993, has been published after being reviewed by international experts in the field.

"Many felt that alcohol advertising made abstinence difficult for them and some could not resist the appeals in alcohol advertisements," the study said.

"The advertisements made me relapse. I relapsed without treatments. TV advertising weakened my resolve," the study quoted one participant as saying. Another said, "Alcohol ads make you thirsty, and straight away it triggers off 'well maybe I could just have one'."

Advertisements had stronger appeal if they showed the person's preferred drink, the study showed.

"It's a good ad," said one participant. "I liked Jim Beam. It was my drink."

Participants recorded feelings of anger, sadness and guilt and some felt alcohol advertisements were misleading.

"The ads show frost on a cold beer; they don't show warm beer being vomited out through your nose."

Eldene Bradley, one of the study's three authors, said the liquor industry pitched advertisements at people who over-indulged, such as the young.

That research period made me feel that [alcohol advertisements] were definitely detrimental to people that had a problem with alcohol," she said.

Co-author associate professor Sally Casswell said that about 60 percent of alcohol sales were made to about 10 percent of the drinking population, so heavy drinkers were "clearly an important segment of the market".

But Hamish Riach, executive director of liquor industry body Beer, Wine and Spirits, said the study represented a small group of people who had problems with alcohol.
"We feel for them, but to conclude that on the basis of 21 people in this country who ... have had treatment for alcoholism, that that somehow means we shouldn't have [alcohol] advertising, gets the thing out of perspective."

He said alcohol consumption had declined about 20 percent since 1989, despite TV liquor advertising being introduced in 1992. He said liquor advertising was about brand awareness rather than increasing consumption.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I totally aggree.Yesterday I was reading a magazine and looking at an ad for a New Budweiser Beer thinking "I wish I could try one of those"
Old 03-04-2005, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Captain,
Before I went into recovery, I never noticed the tv ads concerning alcohol. Now, I'm sensitive to alcohol ads, liquor store signs, etc. It's not that I judge others because there are many who can drink moderately and safely. I'm just not one of those.
It doesn't seem right to drink beer with caffeine in it. It seems like the heart would be confused. Speed up? Slow down? What does the brain want me to do?
Great post.
Val
Old 03-04-2005, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

My two bits...
Advertising can and will affect me if I let it.
I'm just as likely to crave smarties or a hamburger because of commercials on tv or print adverts.
Alcohol is a legal product, enjoyed by millions of people, without any compromizing side effects.
I'm just not one of them:sweat
Old 03-06-2005, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Agnostic with faith

Good post to make you think about how strong and/or resolute we are in maintaining our sobriety. I'm going on a diet next week to try and loose my beer gut and some other unplanned features of my body. With all the food commercials I'm bound to end up a grotesque ball of cholesterol.

People, we need to focus on what keeps up sober (Or thin), not on what reminds you of the worst moments of the past life.

Pedro
Old 03-06-2005, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well, i for one, could never understand why it was ok to take cig ads off, but not alcohol!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Some said liquor advertising on TV had caused them to start drinking again.
"Many felt that alcohol advertising made abstinence difficult for them and some could not resist the appeals in alcohol advertisements

"The advertisements made me relapse. I relapsed without treatments. TV advertising weakened my resolve," the study quoted one participant as saying. Another said, "Alcohol ads make you thirsty, and straight away it triggers off 'well maybe I could just have one'."
Yup, all the above can be used to justify any excuse for taking a drink, anytime I allow it to. When I was in my own head, listening to the above thoughts, then I could justify my drinking anytime, anywhere, and with anyone. Because thats what untreated alcoholism does.... it lied to me, and I bought the lie every single time. Thats why I came to AA, thats why I took all the suggestions, thats why I began the 12 Steps, so that I could learn to take responsibility and be accountable for me, my drinking and my thinking. Today, the only one who can make me drink....is me.

There was a time in early sobriety that those commercials bothered me, the advertisements bothered me, and liquor stores bothered me, barrooms bothered me, anything to do with booze bothered me, and I would call my sponsor and complain like hell about the media, the advertisements, the commercials, the barrooms, and all those damn liquor stores.

My sponsor wasn't one to help me to ignore my responsibility, and in fact she helped me to bring the focus right back to me and my alcoholism. She suggested that I turn off the commercial or walk away, find a street to walk down or drive by, that didn't have a liquor store, simply turn the page when I would come across a liquor advertisement in a magzine, and then she would suggest that I take the focus OFF what I had no control over, and put it on the only thing that I had any control over........me and my drinking, my thinking, my words, my actions and my deeds. Because to do anything else was simply trying to find and justify the LIE that I told myself each and everytime that I picked up a drink,..... "THEY made me drink,.... poor me, poor poor me, pour me a drink"

Ahhhhh thank God for a great sponsor who wasn't afraid to be honest with me about the disease of alcoholism, and where untreated alcoholism will take me every single time......if I allow it.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Exactly what Pats said!
Old 03-06-2005, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Alcohol is big business. Their lobby is better then the tobacco companies. Unless, it can prove to be unhelathy taken in moderation like smoking alcohol will forever remain powerful world wide.

As was mentioned, a non alcoholic doesn't give the thoughts to the ads like we do. Many a super bowl these past few year I haven't forgotten the commericals. I might not remember who won the game but, I can always rember the falcon coming back with a couple of bud bottles and a woman's bra
Old 03-06-2005, 04:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dead on Patsy...we can all find an excuse to drink...or we can choose to maintain our sobriety. Our choice. No excuses.

BubbaBob
Old 03-06-2005, 05:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Agnostic with faith

Hi Captainzing,

Tobacco comercials have been banned from Portugal over a decade ago. Their lobby here proved to be close to nothing.

As far as alcoholic drinks are concerned, it is compulsory by law to post an advice on any kind of commercial. Something like "Be responsible. Drink with moderation."

You remember the devastating effects of the Prohibition Law in the USA? that's when the Al Capone's emerged, etc... The way I see it, alcohol lobby is more powerful because of what happenned then. Unlike tobacco, alcohol has the power to alter your mind from simple relaxation to passing out in the street. This mind-altering effect caused the prohibition to fail. People would still look for something to relax, socialize or get plastered because of some problem. Alcoholism is a side-effect and we are viewed by most as people of very little will-power people who can not stop when necessary, and in doing so capable of destroying one's life and of those around. WE ARE NOT DISEASED PEOPLE!! That's why we have to keep anonimous. We are low-lifes with no self-control!!

Yes I'm angry. I should be if that's the way "normal" people see us. Anyway, banning alcohol commercials wouldn't decrease consumption and the number of "side-effects" alcoholics ever groing.

Pedro

P.S.: I might not remember the game but I sure would the woman's bra.