Notices

secret drunk

Old 02-22-2005, 12:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE

I too was an "alone" drinker. My best friends dumped me because they saw where I was headed and didn't want to go "down with me". My parents were blissfully unaware of how much or how frequently I drank. My workplace knew I had a problem, after all, I always showed up drunk to work and drank while I was at work. The police knew I drank, they pulled me over 23 times (that I remember) from aged 15-17. 22 of those times I know I was drunk. My school knew I drank, they set up an intervention on me. My friends set up an intervention on me. I was the last to get honest with myself.

I spent a lot of time drinking by myself. Not because I had a good day/bad day....whatever, because I wanted to get drunk and escape life as I perceived it. I didn't feel worthy of living and I planned to drink myself to death.

Thank God, enough people got together and did a big wham-bam intervention on me and helped me to see the light (eventually). It wasn't in their time; it was in my time that I was able to get honest with myself. Before I could be honest with others, I had to get some sort of an awareness and be honest with me.

I wish you luck in your journey NinthChance. Sobriety is fabulous. I no longer worry about getting pulled over or talked to "about my drinking problem". Life is good today and I owe it to a whole bunch of people who gave a sh!t about me, AA, the fellowship of AA, and my Higher Power.

Hugs and prayers your way,
Love,
Jen
Old 02-22-2005, 12:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

yeah...my friends, my roommate, my ex...they all have a pretty good idea of how much i drink, but my parents, even though i have addressed it as a problem to them a couple of times, so badly want me to be normal that i think they are in denial that it could be a bona fide problem.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

On first read, I thought you meant 8 - 10 maintenance drinks per night and that sounded normal to me.
LOL Tracy! I read it as 8 - 10 drinks per night and didn't bat an eye!

Ninth,

If I was in my early twenties the last thing I would want to do would be to go to an AA meeting. I strongly encourage you to go, however. You will be blown away by how many people completely understand what you are going through. There are many meetings for young adults out there.

It really doesn't matter if your drinking is a secret or not; it is still taking a toll on you physically and emotionally. It's not at all surprising that your parents don't understand. Non-alcoholics usually don't understand our special version of insanity.