Notices

Help!

Old 01-20-2005, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Help!

Reading some of the postings, it seems today is a hard day for some of us. Must be something in the air? I've been cruising along, made it to 12 days without much struggle....then, today, I've hit a wall. I was reading the newspaper, then a magazine article and two of the articles mentioned different types of wine....dont' really know how to explain this - guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself. Wishing SO MUCH that I could just "take it or leave it" and have one.....just one.

Tonight is the first night I am going out to a public place, where I know I am going to be asked if I want a drink. I'm going for dinner with some good friends....some will have a glass of wine. I don't want to miss dinner - but I'm thinking maybe I'm not in a good space today.

Okay - gonna go get some exercise - hope to stop feeling sorry for myself. Sure glad I have this place to come to when I'm feeling like this.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think I've earned my right to give advice yet but I make sure my friends know my struggles and they seem to help me get through it. I'd be suprised if someone even drinks around you if they know you are struggling. Good luck
Old 01-20-2005, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trainee

I'm new too - wanted you to know that I'm supporting you!
Old 01-20-2005, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

It's like being a fish out of water at first.
We used or drank for such a long time, everthing seems to
trigger or reminds us of the ritual. Fight off the eurges
it gets better as we get more clean and sober time.

But a possistive attutude will help.

a new beginning
It's actually fun after a while to do things clean and sober
first time haveing sex clean and sober was a trip
first time going out of town
first time walking on the beach
first time going to the movies
first time going to work
the list goes on and on

We must be true to our selves
I usually work my annominity when out in public or social gathering.
Just becuase we're alcoholics dosen't mean that everybody else
has the disease or this problem.
An allergy keeps thing in proper spective for friends and family who asked:
"what do you mean you can't have a drink?"

Depending on how close of a friend. if that person continue to
push the issue . It's a joke, but some people just don't get it.
I just say oki,doki. If you want me to take this drink
first you have to give me the keys to your house and car.
You might as will file for divorce cause I probably screw your wife
anyways. You can keep the damn kids. Send the money monthly too.
Better yet just give me all your credit cards and bank account #.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Be strong, take your own car if possible or prepare to take a taxi in case you start buggin, we'll be here. *hugs*
Old 01-21-2005, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, How did it go for you last night??
Old 01-21-2005, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Red face I didn't go.

For a few reasons - one, I am iced in and can't leave my driveway....but, the good news is that the rest of the group did not meet - said it wouldn't be the same without me. Jason, your message was great....the women I was going to meet with are my closest friends....you are right, there is no way they would sabatoge me - they would support me! So, the dinner was postponed until next week. I'm glad it was put over until next week...I wasn't in a good frame of mind yesterday. So, I made it over day 12 and I'm now on day 13!

Thanks for reading and responding everyone! Sure helps to know there are people from EVERYWHERE sending good vibes to each other!

P.S.
Nutz - you gave new reasons to stay sober! Thanks, again!
Old 01-21-2005, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Living in Michigan I feel your pain.
I about broke my butt when I fell down the driveway yesterday while trying to throw salt down on the ice.
Glad to hear you were able to avoid the situation. Hopefully next week you'll be in better spirits and able to handle going out into public easier.
It's also gotta feel great that your friends would cancel their plans because they didn't want to do it without you.

[QUOTE=jems girl]For a few reasons - one, I am iced in and can't leave my drivewayQUOTE]
Old 01-21-2005, 07:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jems girl, congrats on 13 days.And just in case you and Jason were intrested it should hit around 60 today in Portland,Oregon.But,not to worry.I am sure it will dip back down to 45 tonight.Brrrrrrrrrrr. I might have to wear a jacket!
Old 01-21-2005, 07:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

wITHOUT SOUNDIN PREACHY, MAYBE SOMEONE IS LOOKING OUT 4 U. tAKES A LOT OF WILLPOWER TO STOP A BAD HABIT. IF THIS WAS EASY, WE WOULDN'T HAVE AA NA OA ETC.

I'M GLAD 4 U. I KNOW, HOW HARD IT WAS AT FIRST. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO GIVE UP SOME OF THE PEOPLE YOU THOUGHT WERE YOUR FRIENDS

I KIND OF WONDER, IF A PERSON FINDS OUT THEY EAT PEANUTS THEY GET SICK Y, WON'T WE DO THE SAME FOR DRINKING????

GO FIGURE
Old 01-21-2005, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks alot T2S, As I'm on the phone right now with my boat insurance company as the boat is up on concrete now. I think its about 2 degrees here.

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender
And just in case you and Jason were intrested it should hit around 60 today in Portland,Oregon.But,not to worry.I am sure it will dip back down to 45 tonight.Brrrrrrrrrrr. I might have to wear a jacket!
Old 01-21-2005, 08:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JUST FOR TODAY

I will only speak for myself here because I had to be willing to go to any lengths for my sobriety and recovery. I had heard in the halls of AA that I would have to make changes if I wanted to stay sober. A couple of those changes was to change the people I hung around with and to change the places I hung out at. I was told that if I kept going to the barbershop, then I would eventually get a haircut.

So I stopped hanging out with my old friends because they drank and did drugs. If I didn't, then I eventually would have picked up again. I stopped hanging out in places that drinks were served (the barbershop), because if I didn't then I would eventually pick up a drink (the haircut).

I was told that I would have to change the person I brought into AA or eventually that same person would go back out. So I worked on changing my attitude and my behavior.

After I got a few 24 hrs under my belt, when I was around people that drank I already had a defense with me and wasn't worried about picking up that drink. That defense is a Higher Power. I make sure I drive to these places in my own car so if I get antsy I can leave whenever I want to. And of course bringing somebody else with me that is also sober never hurt me either.

I just don't take any chances that might put me in jeopardy. Why should I? I have a good life today and I like the person I am becoming.

God bless,

Harry
Old 01-24-2005, 07:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks, everyone....that day was the worst for me. It is such a steep learning curve - staying away from alcohol, changing situations/friends....I'm still hanging in.....thanks for your words of encouragement and support.....(AND ADVICE!!).