Notices

Mr

Old 03-22-2024, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mr

I have had enough of alcohol and I really want to stop.I can go a few days without drinking but once I start I can't stop.I binge for days I drink first thing in the morning as soon as the supermarket opens at 6 .I then go home and start drinking all day for several days in a row like 3 to 5 days.Added on top is I struggle to control myself when drink and have awfull regrets the day after with a monumental hangover and awful panic.Ive had enough I have tried for years to control my drinking and I can't. This has been like this for 17 years so I know it won't change unless I stop. Alcohol problems run in my family on my dad's side not On my mum's but I have to change.I drink because I am a nervous person and I struggle with depression and anxiety and I I would say a sensitive person and with struggling with the crazy world it's so easy for me to numb myself with alcohol but I had enough.it's not that I am completely unhappy all the time when sober because I am not I enjoye being sober and feeling healthy so I want this not the other side of feeling poorly.I want to be there for my family mum dad brother's sisters and be there for them which I am not when I can't get out of bed for days I have really had enough.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Phil - Welcome to SR.

I'm so glad you've realized you can't continue drinking the way you have been for 17 yrs.
I had to make that same decision. I never thought I could live without it. I seemed to help me cope with problems, but in the end it did the opposite. It kept me from growing and learning to live in the real world. I lost control once I had that first drink - so stopping all together was my only option. There would never be any control.

I hope you'll continue to read & post. This is an encouraging place. We all understand what you're going through.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Phil. You have found a very good resource for support.

Controlling and moderating my drinking simply didn’t work for me; I sure tried over and over again without success.

One drink and it was off to the races.

Living in sobriety and recovery is an exponentially better way.

Glad you have joined us. Stay close.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Phil

You found a great community. There’s a lot of support here.
I didn’t know if I could quit, but finding SR meant I didn’t feel alone in this anymore - and that made the difference

Hope to see you around some more

D