Notices

Ouch! Falsely accused of still drinking?

Old 06-06-2023, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Ouch! Falsely accused of still drinking?

Slowly reading through some older journal entries. Some stuff makes me laugh a bit. Others are just plain sad.

Early in my sobriety, maybe like a few weeks in, I remember my wife accusing me of problems related to my drinking. I did not make it public that I had quit, figuring she'll figure it out and be happy. At the time I was dealing with (then) undiagnosed cPTSD and the doctor prescribed me some stuff to help me sleep (hated the way it made me feel, BTW). She immediately blamed my alcohol use, which could have been partly true in the weeks past. I do not remember my reaction, nor do I have it written down. It was a kick to the face at the time, as the withdrawals were horrible up until that point, and I felt I had a victory under my belt.

Anyways, has anyone else done something similar when you were sober for a while? How did you react, if at all? No real direction for this thread, just a friendly discussion.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many people thought I was still drinking/drugging - after all, I’ve been doing it for several decades, and I denied to peoples faces that I was drunk or stoned often, when it was obvious why I was falling about the place, no doubt stinking of booze and weed.

It took time for me to rebuild that trust I’d shattered, and time to rebuild my reputation I had so thoroughly trashed.

D
Old 06-06-2023, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Happened to me at 4 months during a PAWS episode. Didn't even tell him I was done until 2 weeks sober. Told him I needed to quit because I had become an alcoholic. He still doesn't believe me.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I kept it to myself, until about two months later I got a “So, you are NEVR going to drink again?”

Sometimes hubby says dumb stuff, like,”I bet you wish you could have a drink right now…”. I say, ”I CAN drink if I want to, it I choose not to”.

Old 06-09-2023, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Sometimes its best just to let such comments roll off your back. Not worth snarky replies.