Notices

Don't Just Stand There

Old 05-20-2023, 02:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't Just Stand There

And here I am day 22

The acute phase of withdrawal is long gone. Still have Sleep problems, energy level problems, mood regulation problems. Still have a drink problem if I was stupid enough to ingest it again. Infact have to remember I have a drink problem at all times to avoid ingesting it in the first place!

Still have money problems, still have how to fill my time problems, still have getting employment problems. Still have motivation to get off my arse and keep on top of the housework problems.
Actually think the keeping on top of things, energy problems stem from my sleep problems.

So, one thing I am making myself do today is see if I can get at least one nights sleep. I'm not even talking a full 8 hours I don't think I've slept 8 hours straight in my entire life. I know I was given phenobarbitone, a barbiturate when I was 2.
That was given because apparently I would wake everyone in the house up in the summer at 4am to listen to the birds singing. My mother said she couldn't cope with that so the doctor just drugged me instead.
When she told me this as an adult, I was outraged they would drug a kid this way. She said, in an irritated way "It didn't even work! You were still a pain in the backside" and seemed quite miffed about it!!
No shame in those days about prescribing barbiturates to 2 year old birdsong lover.

6 hours uninterrupted sleep would do me I reckon.

Today, I am being well prepared. I am at a bit of a loose end anyway because I thought I would be with my grandson.

1) Go to Holland and Barrett and get some natural sleep aid.
2) Get some sandalwood oil for my oil burner ..."Sandalwood promotes a sense of calm, can help relieve anxiety and tension, and aid in sleep."
I used to use it when I was pregnant, many moons ago.
3) Tidy up the bedroom properly, because a messy bedroom gives me nightmares when I do sleep. And put on fresh bedding.
4) Have a relaxing bath before bed. With some of my posh bath salts
5) Use a hypnotism black screen you tube video. But make sure it is a restful sleep one and not a be alert and bright one.

If I don't do anything else today. I'll do this.
Plus get some socks out of Primark because I have 5 pairs of odd socks.
That's why I got new tupperware. Lots of lids and no containers to match them

5a) Stop going off on tangents and stick to the point of what I am doing.

Alex

Old 05-20-2023, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I get up at 4AM and love birdsong.

I do go to bed at 8PM though...

Sleep is elusive in early sobriety. I found that a daily one hour walk helped a lot.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi again Bimini You found me 🙂 Thought I'd come to a quieter spot. And coming to "Alcoholism" will remind me why I am posting.

I still like bird song. Unfortunately, no song birds where I live, because no trees. Just seagulls. Horrible, horrible squawking nesting seagulls. Only silent for about 6 hours a day.

I have been walking. Doesn't matter how tired I am, I only sleep roughly two hours.

Alex
Spoiler

Old 05-20-2023, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you tried anti-blue light glasses - they come in a low cost clip-on variety. I have found them to be quite helpful; you wear them when using devices and television after dark to prevent or lessen absorption of blue light through your eyes (blue light apparently gives a signal to the brain that it is daytime - awake time - which disrupts your circadian rhythms​​​​​ and interrupts sleep patterns).
Old 05-20-2023, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Soberleigh, yes, I've just been reading about those
A couple of the young ones at the energy company would wear them for work. I will have a look online.
That blue light from screens also stops your body producing melatonin even if you watch a few hours before trying to sleep.
I do have a paperback to read in bed, but it says do not do any activity in bed except sleep or sex.
So I so that leaves me with just being able to lie looking at the ceiling in bed. I lie! sometimes I can look at the wall or the window

Got most things I wanted in town. Although the health shop Holland and Barrett , said that no one can sell melatonin in England. Which is what I wanted to try. Flogged me some Valerian root instead, buy one get one free. So got both kinds they had.
She tried to flog me some calamine teabags. But I put myself off those before. They didn't help me sleep so I put 3 in one cup of water. Then I felt sick as a dog and couldn't sleep because of that.
Got my sandalwood oils too. And some sleep flavoured Radox bath stuff.

I couldn't get my Dragons blood moisturiser though. The grandkids used to be tickled by that. It actually has in the ingredients on the box, Dragons Blood. Not sure what that is? But I told them that real dragons donated their blood for it.
It was great when they were small and they believed everything I told them. I told them aliens lived on the moon (but I really think that).
They thought I was really 21 for years. Until, one of them said, "If daddy is 35 and you are daddy's mummy how can you be 21?" Shouldn't be allowed to teach maths in schools I say!

Well turning off this laptop now. No looking at the phone either it's 20 to 5pm. Will aim to sleep for 9.

Alex

Old 05-20-2023, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

They are always precious but when they are so small and full of wonder - priceless.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hope sleep finds you soon.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 23

Yes Soberleigh, they are hysterical when they are young. My daughter who is in her 30s now, still hasn't lived down shouting (while on a swing in the park). "Push me high as.. a...a...lump" which begs the question, how high does a lump go? She put a picture of my one year old grandson in a swing on that Family Album app. Every single one of the family replied "push him high as a lump"

Hi Hawkeye, thank you, sleep did find me in the end!

Went to bed at 9pm. Woke up at 11pm. The room stunk of Sandelwood from the oil burner, I stunk of Radox bath salts. And I'd taken as much valerian as was safe (no more overdosing on herbal stuff after the calamine tea).
Then I heard a faint buzzing. Realised I hadn't turned the laptop off properly earlier, it was in sleep mode and right by my head on the bedside table.
The top was down so I didn't notice. I moved it into the other room. In the end I went back to sleep and slept from 12 until 5 this morning. A record.

I've been thinking. I have had trouble sleeping since I started the energy company. I was on the computer 8 hours a day there. Then a few hours messing about when I got home. I am on the computer a lot when I am off work. I only slept easily when I passed out drunk.
So I'm limiting myself with this computer and phone now.

I will read books if I'm bored I never buy paperback books, but my daughter has given me a few of her old ones. One being, How to spot a Sociopath, don't know if that's a hint or not? She says it's because every man I have ever lived with for years (that sounds terrible, been 3 in 40 years) is a nut job and I can't seem to see it.
It's a bit late now! They'll be no late life romance in my life, I'll tell you that for a poke in the eye!

This morning, went up the newsagents at 6 for some cigs (next to go, building up to it). Forgot my key. Had to go to my sons and wake everyone up (really loud doorbell ) to get my spare ones. I am in the dog house already and it's not even 8am.

Alex

Old 05-21-2023, 01:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

https://youtube.com/@TheCrochetCrowd

Old 05-21-2023, 01:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh yes, I'm doing really well keeping off this computer already, here I am again

Been up the shop again, the Spar, it wasn't open earlier. Just for some odds and ends grocery wise. Standing at the till. Three tills in horizontal line. Facing you, not 3 feet away is a wall of spirits (they have a full refrigerated room for the other drinks in other part of the shop).

All the tobacco products are hidden away in a cupboard with sliding doors. All tobacco products have the same packaging. Brown, with grotesque pictures of real people and the diseases they got from smoking. This is by law, since Big Tobacco were found guilty of hiding the harm their product caused and downright lying basically.

The wall of spirits, floor to ceiling, have very colourful and attractive packaging. The product itself, blue vodka, pink gin with sparkles in it etc.
Big Alcohol is guilty of what Big Tobacco was before the truth came out.

Why am I bringing this up again? Because of the assistant messing about with something, I stood for 5 whole minutes in front of this display waiting to be served.
The strongest flash urge for drink overtook me! Just looking at it! They don't sell alcohol in corner shops until 10am on a Sunday, but thought, I'll come back up and get some later. Then I thought, WHY do you want to drink for? What will it do for you?
Everything I have read in the past week about the myth of alcohol came rushing back. It does nothing. It's a myth. Big Alcohol are flogging poison in attractive, well researched to appear attractive, packaging.
Should have black bottles with skull and crossbones on if they told the truth.

I could actually bring to mind (which I used to have trouble doing ) every horrible step from that first drink to the horrendous withdrawals.
Then it actually started to make me feel nauseous looking at it.

I could go and get some now, if I wanted, it's almost 10. But, what for?

Alex

Old 05-21-2023, 02:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tgirl View Post
Thank you so much tgirl

Yesterday down the town, I bought some new, really nice wool. Cos the wool I have been using for the crotchet has been pulled out so many times it's gone all funny.
This will do me for the rest of the morning

Alex
Old 05-21-2023, 04:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Bottomed another great new thread! You've come on in such leaps and bounds. Just read your post on your experience of feeling free and the sense of relief. That's such a fantastic experience and something to hold onto always

The Crochet Crowd is a 'go to' for me too on you tube. Lovely easy to follow patterns and they go through the crochet diagram with you as well which is handy because it's a good thing to learn how to read them.

Just thinking now about what pictures should be put on bottles of alcohol to remind people of it's effects. It has so many detrimental effects - car accidents, people accidents, fights, murders, prison sententences for otherwise decent people, devastating losses of family, house, friends, not to mention what it does physically to the body . OMG the pictures in my mind. And they should keep it behind screens aswell, like they do with tobacco. Well, I know I won't be popping down to the corner shop for a supply
Old 05-21-2023, 04:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, the grocery store is an interesting place when you've quit drinking.

In my state they only started selling alcohol in regular stores about maybe ten or fifteen years ago. They started off in the big grocery stores having it in the rear of the store. Now it takes up a good 25% of the grocery aisles, that's not even counting the beer aisle, and it's right behind the produce which is where I spend a good amount of my time. Now all the pretty bottles are locked behind glass locking doors, and people have to get an employee to open the doors to buy it...or maybe that's only the good stuff. I dunno. But I see people standing and waiting at the doors.

Yesterday I went to the grocery really early so I could get the bread I like. It sells out fast. I was in the self-checkout lane before 8AM and the guy next to me was buying five little bottles of _ _ _ _ _ _ _ hard liquor. Not even 8AM. I had my chicken and bread and eggs and mango and I said a little prayer for him and for me.

I see people every time with lots of bottles in their carts. Ya have to wonder.

Old 05-21-2023, 05:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Worried Yeah I find crocheting so relaxing, like meditation, with the repetitive movement. But I'd actually like to have something to show for it except a mis-shaped mess!!

If they can show a gangrenous foot with toes missing on tobacco packaging. They should at least have a warning on alcohol. Even on OTC painkillers with codeine in, it warns of addiction. Why doesn't alcohol?

Yeah, I don't care how many people might poo-poo the idea, something happened the other day. As well as the relief that I felt it was all over. I was enveloped in this, can't be described as anything but comfort and love. Like I said not religious, but, felt something greater than me.

Maybe all that begging to a higher power during withdrawals was answered? You know what they say, there are no atheists in foxholes.

Need to get back into my beading too. It's the sorting out, I was messing with all the beads and findings when I was drunk, mixed them all up then spilt them everywhere behind my work top.

Alex

Old 05-21-2023, 05:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Yeah, the grocery store is an interesting place when you've quit drinking.

In my state they only started selling alcohol in regular stores about maybe ten or fifteen years ago. They started off in the big grocery stores having it in the rear of the store. Now it takes up a good 25% of the grocery aisles, that's not even counting the beer aisle, and it's right behind the produce which is where I spend a good amount of my time. Now all the pretty bottles are locked behind glass locking doors, and people have to get an employee to open the doors to buy it...or maybe that's only the good stuff. I dunno. But I see people standing and waiting at the doors.

Yesterday I went to the grocery really early so I could get the bread I like. It sells out fast. I was in the self-checkout lane before 8AM and the guy next to me was buying five little bottles of _ _ _ _ _ _ _ hard liquor. Not even 8AM. I had my chicken and bread and eggs and mango and I said a little prayer for him and for me.

I see people every time with lots of bottles in their carts. Ya have to wonder.

Hi Bimini 🙂 Good for you saying him (and you) a prayer. I think I'm a convert to the power of prayer now

Even the smallest of shops sell drink where I am. The strangest place I saw selling it, was a greengrocers

I hate going up that Spar for things, but all the local grocery shops have it on shelves behind the tills. Like they have the sweets to set the kids off in front of the tills, at kid height while their parents are trapped waiting to pay!

It has helped me immensely, to find out that over 70% of people who use alcohol, drink far too much. And William Porters book states that usually people who can make the recommended dose of one or two, last all night, either don't like the taste or don't like the effect it has on them (my mother).
I always held out the hope, I could become a "normal" drinker, very rarely such a thing. And one or two at a time, never did anything for me even at 18, just gave me a headache and made me tired an hour later.

Alex

Old 05-21-2023, 05:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yup.

You really did have some sort of conversion (not the AA conversion, maybe, but a complete 180 in your thinking) and I believe that's a necessary part of complete abstinence.

When I "got it" I got it.

The day I decided Never Again I had just woken up from yet another night of too many cocktails. I went to get out of bed and fell out instead and landed on my knees. In desperation I cried out, "Help me!!" to no one in particular...

I am of the belief that I was helped. I do not think I did it on my own. I can't explain it.
Old 05-21-2023, 05:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I submit that there is at least one alternative universe wherein the solution to your problem turns out to be fully committing to the recovery program of Alcoholics Anonymous (as illogical as that may sound). Perhaps it's this universe, perhaps not.
Old 05-21-2023, 05:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah Bimini wasn't actually praying to anyone or anything. Just a "If there is anything out there" thing.

I'm not really into that much of AAs thinking, never ever believed you needed a spiritual conversion to kick drink. And I disagree with a lot of their stuff. But was handy in the middle of the night when I was drinking or coming down.
Although I met Moira through the AA zoom meetings, she's not exactly what you would call conventional in her beliefs. She's a Pagan. She got married in a forest jumping over a broom (don't ask)

And I don't think I did have any spiritual conversion. I just connected with "something" don't even know what it was.
But I feel different. What's it they say? "The scales have fallen from my eyes"
Just going to look up what that means

said to mean that someone suddenly realizes the truth about something after a long period of not understanding it or of being deceived about it
The scales have finally fallen from his eyes and he realises that he's made a dreadful mistake.
Easy Learning Idioms Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers

Yes, got that right!!

Alex
Old 05-21-2023, 06:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by novips View Post
I submit that there is at least one alternative universe wherein the solution to your problem turns out to be fully committing to the recovery program of Alcoholics Anonymous (as illogical as that may sound). Perhaps it's this universe, perhaps not.
Hi novips,
Maybe my alternative self in an alternative universe has full committed? The more I read about "what is our reality" the more I realise that materialistic science does not have a clue. They started out with a wrong assumption and have been chasing that lame duck to try to prove their point ever since (taken from Science for Heretics, written by a quantum mechanics physicist)

Alex
Old 05-21-2023, 08:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Love the story about your daughter and the swing, Alex. Glad you finally found sleep, too.

I agree that you gave definitely experienced a conversion; that is a strong plus in the sobriety column.

I’ve seen many people with grocery carts filled with far more liquor than food and I get a pit in my stomach when I see it. The idea of praying for them is nice.