Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Was there any one specific person in your life that was an encouragement to you?

Notices

Was there any one specific person in your life that was an encouragement to you?

Old 04-21-2023, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

I guess what I mean is, did you have a role model that was an influence to get sober, whether they knew it or not?

Last edited by steve-in-kville; 04-21-2023 at 05:00 AM. Reason: still testing
Old 04-21-2023, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The Dog

Two people actually. Number one is my wife. We were married over 28 years ago and shortly after that I realized I did not want to raise a family as an alcoholic so I quit. Then almost a year ago after over 27 years with no drinking some crap happened in my life in no way related to my wife. I began drinking again, first in moderation and then back to binges. It was Tuesday of this week I decided it is time for me to quit again and for good. I immediatly called my supervisor who himself is a recovering alcoholic. He granted me the rest of the week off with pay on one condition. I had to go to AA meetings. He could have told me "Not my problem, call HR and get on the corporate alcoholics plan but he did not."
Old 04-21-2023, 11:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know i did it for my family, but i always secretly admired a particular man in my home town.
To me a really outgoing, talkative and no fear of what others think type of guy.
I know him personally but have never said it to him. We worked together in a supermarket back in the 80s. He has gone on to be a partner in a successful restaurat and hotel business and is still the same funny guy to me. Never put a drop to his lips as didn't feel the need or want.
If i ever get the courage i must say it to him.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I first thought I had a problem with alcohol, I never considered I'd be able to quit. I was the "life of the party" it was in my identity, but deep down I knew I had to quit.

I eventually heard a friend of mine back from the "party days" who was just like me was able to quit drinking for a year. I decided to reach out because I could finally relate to someone (not that I had done much looking at that point).

He told me how he did it, and that embarked me on the journey of sobriety: while I had a few starts and stops (failure), I've finally managed to string quite a long sobriety together.

Whenever I have issues, or feelings I can't quite shake or cravings, this is still the person I call.

So in summary: seeing someone that was like me, that I could relate to encouraged me to think that I could do it too, and inspired me to continue seeing how much better their life was.
Old 04-24-2023, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My wife is certainly the hero in my situation. For more reasons than one.

There were some other influences as well. In the last several months I started listened/watching various podcasts. Some related to addiction, others not so much, but the bottom line was getting back control of your life and thriving instead of merely surviving. Those were, and continue to be, a huge influence.
Old 04-24-2023, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One specific person that was an encouragement:

Well, I think the answer would be that I was the specific person. I was a ******* mess. I had an idea of who I wanted to be and I was not living up to that idea. I was not living in my values. I wanted to be free of the mental/ physical/ emotional/ spiritual torture. So, after a good decade of having a real battle with alcohol and relapses, and all the crap that comes with that...... I got sober again and have been sober for 2 1/2 years. Its a MIRACLE! Truly a miracle.
Old 04-24-2023, 02:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
One specific person that was an encouragement:

Well, I think the answer would be that I was the specific person. I was a ******* mess. I had an idea of who I wanted to be and I was not living up to that idea. I was not living in my values. I wanted to be free of the mental/ physical/ emotional/ spiritual torture. So, after a good decade of having a real battle with alcohol and relapses, and all the crap that comes with that...... I got sober again and have been sober for 2 1/2 years. Its a MIRACLE! Truly a miracle.
Good for you! I know I had to practically re-invent myself. Sounds like Al Gore, but it's real.