Notices

worried over stress test results

Old 02-22-2022, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

worried over stress test results

okay I had echo cardio gram stress test and while it was normal for most part it said I had mild enlargement of the left ventricle cased by long term high blood pressure and border line normal global ventricular strain. I'm obsessing over this. I got results on my my chart which is online and then googled them. I can't call my cardiologist till tomorrow. they said the study was normal but also stated that i had An enlarged heart. thoughts that are going through my head do I now have heart disease, am I going to eventually develop heart failure. I can't stop thinking about it. the other is I need to change my diet but am struggling to do so. I have lost 5 pounds recently as I have been eating less. My diet is still spectacularly un healthy, no vegetables or fruit in weeks. i feel so powerless over food , food is how I calm my nerves. I'll probably obsessing over this until I can call the doctor. it seems that things go wrong every time they start to get better. I don't want to drink over this news, no desire to. I remember bad chest pain when I would be heavily under the influence.
David
Old 02-22-2022, 09:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about your stress, I would likely be feeling the same way. I hope you find a way to distract yourself so you can get some rest. Tomorrow is a new day and you can place that call and move things forward.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you’re feeling like this David. I hope the cardiologist can help you to put your mind at rest.
Maybe put together a shopping list and get yourself some fresh ingredients. Perhaps a meal plan with some healthy, tasty foods? You need to take small steps to begin with. A day at a time. I always find that doing positive things to help the medical issue, I start to feel better just because I know I’m taking some action.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

part of the problem I'm to tired to cook after work, to tired to even make sald. I go to aa every day after work and don't get home till 8 pm. I spend 3 hours at aa club every day. also am a member so get all the free sodas I want. it's hard to change.
David
Old 02-23-2022, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can make a salad in a minute David
I have salad leaves in a air tight bag in my fridge, add cherry tomatoes (packed by the punnet) a little feta cheese (in oil from a jar) combine one serve of each into a bowl, and you're done

D
Old 02-23-2022, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Eating healthily is really important. Do you like fruit David? Grapes, Bananas, Oranges, Apples, all really easy to grab and eat, even just as a snack on top of eveything else just to get into the habit of eating them, Have a banana every morning - have some grapes when you get home - just as well as your food. Little steps. You don't have to change your diet all in one go.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

A really easy and tasty way to get fruits and veggies is juicing. My recipe goes something like this:
  • 4 large apples
  • 3 red beets
  • 1 ginger root
  • 1 head of broccoli
  • TBSP Cayenne Pepper
Here's a great website. The combinations are endless. Add in a 30 minute walk everyday and you'll probably see an improvement in a short time.

LINK
Old 02-23-2022, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That’s rough David! Hang in there! Ask your Higher Power for help in dealing with this load! I would be worried too if the doctor told me about that heart situation! Hopefully it’s not too severe! Many medical situations get better with better diet and exercise! No question life can be stressful after you sober up! But we know if we were drinking it would be so much worse!
Old 02-23-2022, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I suffer from all or nothing thinking. if I can't do all I won't do anything. I can just start with fruit. apples and a little peanut butter as a replacement for sweets. I like fruit. I used to do green smoothies but it made me sick. I used to much spinach because If a little is good the whole container is better. I realize now that it addicted thinking. also I think if i stay sober I can change. it won't happen overnight. it makes me realize I'm powerless over life and so many other things. I'm an addict in general hooked on anything that feels or tastes good. I need God's help because this is a problem.
David
Old 02-23-2022, 07:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by otter View Post
A really easy and tasty way to get fruits and veggies is juicing. My recipe goes something like this:
  • 4 large apples
  • 3 red beets
  • 1 ginger root
  • 1 head of broccoli
  • TBSP Cayenne Pepper
Here's a great website. The combinations are endless. Add in a 30 minute walk everyday and you'll probably see an improvement in a short time.

LINK
"TBSP Cayenne Pepper" - you sure about that, otter?
It's a huge amount and would have a marked effect on heart-rate and blood-pressure, and be likely to irritate stomach?
Old 02-23-2022, 07:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have a friend who enjoys eats peppers and chillies SO HOT they would put me in hospital....
I'm sure you can adjust the ingredients to taste.

D
Old 02-23-2022, 09:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 100 View Post
thoughts that are going through my head do I now have heart disease, am I going to eventually develop heart failure.
When I was diagnosed with liver disease, I thought the exact same thing. However, You can have heart disease and not die from heart failure if you do the work it takes to save your life. Just like I don't have to die from liver failure if I do what it takes to stay well. I used to think so much like you. All or nothing. Life is either black or white. After almost 6 years of sobriety, I was so wrong. Life is a balance and everything is mostly grey. You'll learn this eventually. Hang in there bud.