Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Getting twitchy/partial seizures etc from 1 drink?

Notices

Old 12-29-2021, 01:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm wondering what's going on with my body can some please shed some ideas and knowledge? I drank for 10 years I got drunk 3 or 4 days a week. Than one day a few years ago I woke up twitchy, panic attacks but what's weird is that even if I drink 1 beer now I get these partial seizures and tremors and spasms?? Is this something to do with low liver enzymes? I have had my kidneys and liver checked and the bloodwork says it was ok but really if I drink I start to seize and get real weak like I'm dieing and yeah.... Not good. I know the answer is to stop and I've cut back massivley. I'm just wondering what's going on with my body did I become allergic to alcohol? My eyes don't look yellow and I'm not underweight but this is really really odd.... Please I'd love to hear any ideas
Old 12-29-2021, 03:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Karthas View Post
...but this is really really odd.... Please I'd love to hear any ideas
I find it odd that you would continue to drink despite the bad side effects...oh wait, that is the definition of addiction:

"...a condition in which there is uncontrolled use of a substance despite harmful consequence."

Old 12-29-2021, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

great observation by doggonecarl... why not stop drinking altogether and see where youre at then?
Old 12-29-2021, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better late than never

Never had anything quite like that. But alcohol is basically poison that slowly over time weakens us and eventually drives us insane and kills us. Sounds like your body is trying to tell you something.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm wondering what's going on with my body can some please shed some ideas and knowledge? I drank for 10 years I got drunk 3 or 4 days a week. Than one day a few years ago I woke up twitchy, panic attacks but what's weird is that even if I drink 1 beer now I get these partial seizures and tremors and spasms?? Is this something to do with low liver enzymes? I have had my kidneys and liver checked and the bloodwork says it was ok but really if I drink I start to seize and get real weak like I'm dieing and yeah.... Not good. I know the answer is to stop and I've cut back massivley. I'm just wondering what's going on with my body did I become allergic to alcohol? My eyes don't look yellow and I'm not underweight but this is really really odd.... Please I'd love to hear any ideas
I heard from many people who got back to drinking and i never heard anyone get that kind of a reaction.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it may be time to stop. Sounds like your body is sending a very powerful message. When I tried to cut back, I went into withdrawal because my body expected more- only when I stopped completely did I get any relief. Drinking less and less made me feel worse and worse, I did eventually take myself to the ED because I was fairly sure very bad things were coming for me, and I was 100% correct. Of course, talking to your MD and being brutally honest is your best bet, but risking drinking sounds to me like a game of roulette at this point. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
nez

Why wonder why? Why not just stop? What can alcohol do for you that you can't do for yourself? If there is something, why not figure out how to do that for yourself? Freedom is the result. Freedom is not overrated, it is underappreciated. I cannot begin to express the gratitude I have for the freedom I know today. I am comfortable in my own skin. What a concept!!!
Old 12-29-2021, 03:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Triggered View Post
great observation by doggonecarl... why not stop drinking altogether and see where youre at then?
I have stopped for 5 and 8 months before and I was ok after getting drunk once or twice than same thing started happening.... And obviously anybody who keeps drinking despite know how awful and dangerous it is is drinking because? DEPRESSION, ANXIETY OR SOMETHING VERY MENTALLY DISTURBING. when I gave up drinking for 8 months yea I was beyond depressed... I've been trying. I'm on my 8th antidepressant from SSRIs to snri to Wellbutrin etc I'm trying to solve this depression.... I'm just just not finding an answer. Exercised, dieted , gave up booze tried for years multiple meds but it's not working.... So oh I know THIS IS WHY PEOPLE KEEP DOING STUPID THINGS!
Old 12-29-2021, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

No ones having a go at you Karthas.
If you're getting that effect from one glass of alcohol it makes sense to give you the advice to stop completely.

The more years I drank the more alcohol affected me - whether it was age, ill health or the effect of kindling, I'm not sure.

What Is the Kindling Effect?

When a person struggling with alcohol addiction quits and then relapses several times, they are at risk of developing alcohol kindling. This condition is a worsening of withdrawal symptoms each time the individual attempts to quit alcohol again. The body becomes increasingly sensitive to changes in neurotransmitters, as GABA floods the brain during periods of drinking too much and is suddenly stopped during periods of abstinence. Over a few cycles, the risk of developing delirium tremens, seizures, and other long-term effects of alcohol withdrawal which is unsupervised dramatically increases.

The medical framework of kindling is applied to many issues involving brain chemistry – not just alcohol use disorder, but also epilepsy, benzodiazepine abuse, and mood disorders, including depression and bipolar disorder. The phenomenon was first recorded in 1967 when neuroscientist Graham Goddard electrically stimulated various areas of rats’ brains to examine the learning process. However, as he applied these electrical stimuli daily, the rats began to have seizures in response to other stimulation that would normally be too low to cause convulsions. Eventually, the rats developed seizure disorders, experiencing convulsions that would begin without any stimuli. Goddard referred to this phenomenon as kindling because he had essentially kindled epilepsy in the brains of his rats.

Since Goddard’s publications on the phenomenon, the concept of kindling has been applied to many conditions in which the initial experience of symptoms is fairly mild, but over time, re-experiencing the symptoms will lead to heightened sensitivity. For example, people with bipolar disorder will experience emotional discomfort and mood changes but may not receive a diagnosis until after their first manic episode is kindled; after that initial episode, however, the individual is more likely to experience a manic episode triggered by stressful life events. Essentially, the individual becomes more sensitive to stress, so they are more likely to experience intense symptoms. The brain is primed with specific pathways that triggered conditions may follow.

Chronic heavy alcohol consumption changes the central nervous system. When the chemical changes caused by high-volume consumption of alcohol do not occur, the brain is not able to balance its own chemistry at first. The sudden reduction in available GABA can trigger panic, restlessness, insomnia, and potentially convulsions or seizures. The experience of kindling is not universal; not everyone who relapses back into alcohol abuse multiple times will develop this condition. However, the problem highlights the importance of getting medical help to safely detox from alcohol dependence and then enter a rehabilitation program to change your behaviors around alcohol and reduce the risk of relapse.
from alcohol org. 'Alcohol Withdrawal: The Kindling Effect'

A lot of us suffer from depression and anxiety and other mental issues - including me - it adds another layer of complexity to things, but it doesn't mean we can't get sober with the right approach and support..

I self medicated for years. It's simply not effective, man.

I had to have faith that by putting my 'medicine' down I'd find another way, and I did. I hope you can too Karthas. Don't give up on the meds or the doctors

D
Old 12-29-2021, 08:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Could be a reaction to mixing medication with alcohol.

But you may want to ponder why you are asking people on an addiction forum about how to continue drinking.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have stopped for 5 and 8 months before and I was ok after getting drunk once or twice than same thing started happening.... And obviously anybody who keeps drinking despite know how awful and dangerous it is is drinking because? DEPRESSION, ANXIETY OR SOMETHING VERY MENTALLY DISTURBING. when I gave up drinking for 8 months yea I was beyond depressed... I've been trying. I'm on my 8th antidepressant from SSRIs to snri to Wellbutrin etc I'm trying to solve this depression.... I'm just just not finding an answer. Exercised, dieted , gave up booze tried for years multiple meds but it's not working.... So oh I know THIS IS WHY PEOPLE KEEP DOING STUPID THINGS!
I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that alcohol isnt helping. You obviously have other issues that you should address........ just like every single one of us. I dont mean to seem harsh but it's clear that alcohol is not helping your healing process. In fact, it is lulling you into believing it is the answer when in reality it's a temporary 'fix' which just makes things worse in the long run. When we give up alcohol, we take away a solution that we've been used to for a long time. That's tough... and you have my empathy as I've been through the same. Take that energy and put it into finding a solution that works for you. I left no stone unturned looking for methods and solutions that worked for me when I finally realised that alcohol could never be the answer.