Notices

The stuff that mattered in the first few days...

Old 12-01-2021, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The stuff that mattered in the first few days...

I went back and read some of my journals when I got sober. I found I recorded my sleep patterns, the nightmares, night tremors, the sweating, appetite (or lack of one!) Drinking gallon after gallon of water and sports drinks and rarely having to pee... wow. I think I was weighing myself every morning just to document weight loss or gain.

Did anyone go into this much detail?
Old 12-01-2021, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, just lying there waiting for day 5 to arrive.
It is sheer hell.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there man. I just got home from detox, so day 6 for me and feeling pretty good
Old 12-01-2021, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The awful anxiety the first week or so. I'd be so desperate to calm down I'd take a benedryl just to relax a bit. The w/d anxiety was the worst of the effects of w/d for me. Glad I'll never have to go thru that again.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

The first few days, I went to a lot of meetings. They got me out of self. Confirmed my commitment to do this. Bolstered my hope. Gave me strength. But in the back of my mind, I also knew this was one hour out of 24 that I was guaranteed not to drink.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Early days for me was a bunch of obsessing over every symptom, clinging to SR and documenting. I'd say that faded out pretty much in the first week, then I started to feel a bit more normal, but those first three-four days were a doozy. Never, ever, ever again.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was a wreck. Unfortunately, I did that same, horrible anxious detox routine several times before I finally did the last one. The worst were at the height of my addiction when I’d become too sick to drink (from drinking) and had no choice but to take off work and dry out/taper back to “functional” drinking levels. No sleep, throwing up bile constantly, anxiety, mortal terror, nightmares, heart palpitations.

I will never go through all that again.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
The awful anxiety the first week or so. I'd be so desperate to calm down I'd take a benedryl just to relax a bit. The w/d anxiety was the worst of the effects of w/d for me. Glad I'll never have to go thru that again.
I also took Benadryl the first week just to knock myself out of it and “sleep it off” sort of. Days 3 thru 5 were the WORST. Day 26 today and Im feeling 100 times better, maybe 500 times better.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, I was hyper-documenting and dwelling on every tiny detail the first few weeks. Probably good and bad - in once sense I spent a lot of time here learning while doing so, but also over-obsessed about some things too. My anxiety also certainly played a part, but I didn't really realize it at the time.