Notices

Do you drink N/A beer??

Old 04-10-2002, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Do you drink N/A beer??

Beer & wine were my drinks of choice in my daily drinking days.

Mostly beer; craved it, loved the taste, aura, the foam, the way a can cracked open.

Now, I probably have a few N/A beers every week. After 8 months sober I really don't think I miss the "alcohol," and really feel like I get my fix of beer taste from N/A.

But I wonder if I am lying to myself and if N/A beer might be sending me down the wrong path in early recovery?
Old 04-10-2002, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mteeglass

Red face

hi there! I just want to say that I go no where near anything that even tastes like alcohol at all. I certainly wouldnt smoke something that actually tasted like crack because sooner or later I will want the full effect to come with that taste. Is it really that important to jeapordize your sobriety. I know for me my sobriety is everything and to just drink something that might give me a craving, well for me, no way, but again, that is only me. Have you asked your sponsor about this? Do you attend aa meetings?

------------------
Kimberly McGinnis

Old 04-12-2002, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SentByGod

I don't know how to tell you this, but, non alcoholic beer really HAS alcohol in it. There is still a trace....like .05% in a single serving. I suggest you read the lable. If there is alcohol in it...you are not clean.

The other thing is you are questioning the drinking of it. Therefore, to thine own self be true. You are feeling uneasy (guilt) therefore, don't!

I loved Michelobe! I loved the taste...I loved the smell...I loved IT! However, I am a new man, I had to put off the old man.

SentByGod

Old 04-13-2002, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Yes, N/A beers and wines are actually dealcoholized, not non-alcoholic (except for legal, labelling purposes.

SentByGod......."...if there's alcohol in it...you are not clean."...and just who's program are you defining? and then you went on to say, "...to thine own self be true." and therein lies the truth....we each get to define sobriety/clean for ourselves, and to wear this program like a loose fitting garment.

I know many folks in this program (some with more, and some with, time than I) who occasionally have one of these beverages with a meal......for the taste.....remember, part of this program is looking at our motives and intentions, and Wendy, it appears that your intention is to get your fix........hmmmm.....just something to think about.

And God forbid that we all worked this program the exact same way....then we truly would be the cult some folks believe us to be.

Luv Y'all,
Noelle
DOS: 6/23/86
Old 04-14-2002, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Wendy, I tried the N/A beer at one time. In my case I drank to get drunk. Taste didn't really play a roll. Beers Like Miller Lite that I didn't like would end up being just great if nothing else was there. In my case N/A beer just awakened my thurst for the real thing. I have known people in the program that drank it. This one person told me he drank 3 caes of Odouls a week and thought there was no problem. Eveyone must decide what is good for them. Just be careful that you are not lighting a fuse that may blow up your recovery. Don W
Old 04-14-2002, 08:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
walkslow

Originally posted by Wendy:
Beer & wine were my drinks of choice in my daily drinking days.

Mostly beer; craved it, loved the taste, aura, the foam, the way a can cracked open.

Now, I probably have a few N/A beers every week. After 8 months sober I really don't think I miss the "alcohol," and really feel like I get my fix of beer taste from N/A.

But I wonder if I am lying to myself and if N/A beer might be sending me down the wrong path in early recovery?

Old 04-14-2002, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
walkslow

Wendy, remember having kiddie cocktails when you were a kid. Believe me n/a beer does have alcohol in it. To thy own self be true.
dont fool yourself first n/a and before you know it the real thing. Stay away from it.

Old 04-15-2002, 02:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

walkslow wrote: "...To thy own self be true.
dont fool yourself first n/a and before you know it the real thing. Stay away from it."

Well I give, what is it you're trying to say; she should be true to herself, or that you KNOW ALL. Number one she should be true to herself, as we all should. Number two, well I also have had N/A beers and wines, since very early in recovery......I happen to like the taste with certain foods.....I drank to get f*&%^%$d up, and with just under 16 years I have no desire to go back out........

We all work the program as it works best for us, and I try to only give suggestions, not TELL others what to do, or in this case, what not to do......we can agree to disagree on lots, and this is one of those times.

In Recovery,
Noelle
DOS:6/23/86
Old 04-15-2002, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Dear Wendy,

Go ahead prepare to get upset with me again!

If you drank March 9....how can you be eight months sober?

Darlin', you are playing Russian roulette with a beer bottle.

Love, Pickle
Old 04-15-2002, 04:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

I remember my very first Narcotics Anonymous dance. They were serving NA beer. A whole bunch of us "freaked" out... The whole area took them to task.. (the committee)... never have seen one at a function sense.

For me, when I got clean.. I asked God to take the desire from me.... I can't stand the stuff... I can't stand to smell the stuff... ughhhhhh... And this is from a guy who after 12 + years clean, still has a calouse on the inside of my forfinger and thumb towards the web from twisting longneck caps....

Personaly, I think its a relapse waiting to happen.. Just my ES&H.

God Bless

Den
------------------
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace amid the storm

[This message has been edited by Roven_Rev (edited April 15, 2002).]

Old 04-16-2002, 09:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you to everyone. To clarify it has been 8 month since my initial sobriety where I stopped daily drinking and stopped all kinds of stupif stuff. I have had a few relapses since then.

I agree that everyone needs to define how they get sober/stay sober for themselves and I am in that phase now. Do I think drinking N/A beer is a good idea -- of absolutely course not but I do think it is a good idea if it keeps me away from real beer and helps me manage myself while I am going through this process.

Thanks again,

Wendy
Old 04-17-2002, 01:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SentByGod

"..but I do think it is a good idea if it keeps me away from real beer and helps me manage myself while I am going through this process."

I never needed any help keeping me away from real beer. I was done drinking. Are you?

SentByGod

Old 04-28-2002, 11:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
muffininabadmood

Lightbulb

If we're talking about 0.05% alcohol, then most fruit juices have it too.

I think we're all smart enough to recognize WHY we drink N/A beer, and if it's because we want the real thing, then we can decide for ourselves whether it's a good idea to keep drinking it or not.

N/A beer works fine for me, especially when I want something fizzy and am sick of all the sweet sodas and want something with a little more flavor than sparkling water.

Old 04-30-2002, 06:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can just imagine someone snorting near cocaine or an addict shooting a syringe full of near heroin. LOL

It's like having a date with your ex but without the sex content? I'd have to say no thanks! But I can't speak for everyone else.

Old 06-03-2002, 04:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile

My sponsor told me that if I chose to drink N/A beer, I alone would have to decide whether it is a slip. I didn't personally. Contrary to what others have said I've never caught a buzz on it after drinking quite a few in one sitting on several occasions. It never made me what to drink regular beer after drinking it. I've been in bars to watch Bruins games and the Sox and listen to Rock bands. Since I have acid-reflux, fruit juices and sodas N/A bother it. I'm in a no win situation.
N/A beer is sort of teasing yourself. I only go into bars occasionally, but I have absolutely no desire to drink. Plus seeing all these people in bars making buttholes of themselves gives me the incentive not to drink. Remember the first drink gets you drunk thats of regular beer I'm totally sold on that
Old 06-04-2002, 08:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by nico:
<strong>I can just imagine someone snorting near cocaine or an addict shooting a syringe full of near heroin. LOL

It's like having a date with your ex but without the sex content? I'd have to say no thanks! But I can't speak for everyone else.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have a broken drinker dont know about anyone else...I can not count the people I have seen go back out on Near Beer.....amazing to me that this is even a given.

I think the person who said "To Thy Own Self Be True" hit it on the head, and it is a suggestion do not understand the distention in that person saying that. Fruit juice has what?
Sorry. I worked at a antibuse center and that is just not true. N/A beer contains alcohol the labeling is just a legal way to get it out there...as more and more people are not drinking. Just like Winston Cigarettes say 100% tobacco no additives...while the nicotine level is triples and all the additives are in the paper.

To me if you stil have to put alcohol in any form into you body be it adding it to deserts...(I will not even use it cooked out of foods because of the taste), you have not conceded to your inner most self that you are alcoholic, and are not serious about it leading you back to your drug of choice. Maybe read about the phenomnia of craving...as long as the drug is in your body, your body still have not stopped the craving...a process that we need to go through, just as the opioid addict can not have any type of opoiods , in any form to get their bodies out of the stage of craving.

And to the quote above...I think I have had some of the near heroin...LOL....many times ...Gee was I having fun or what????
Old 06-04-2002, 04:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi

The way I've been taught it's quite simple. I have a physical and mental obsession. If I try to replace alcohol with something else I may not get drunk but I'm not tackling the root of the problem.
Nothing else tasted like beer, whisky, gin, vodka, wine or any of the other forms of alcohol I used to drink, so I don't drink anything in their place. I drink what I want when I want, it's just that the options are more limited now.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I recall how at 6 months sober and 4th of July I sat outside of my home watching the fireworks. I had purchased a six pack of O'Douls because I liked the taste. I drank a couple and got a headache. But not long after that I couldn't sleep and remembered the times when I drank a pint or more of Tequila at a time to deliberately pass out. I fugured, well, if I guzzle these remaining 4 O'Douls perhaps I'll fall asleep. Some alcohol is better than none.

Wrong. Wrong motive. I no longer drink near beer. Alcohol is not my problem. I am my problem. I am allergic to alcohol. I break out in stupidity.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I do not drink near beer... because I do not want to be near sober

Patsy
Old 06-25-2002, 01:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Paused

Thumbs down

It really isn't a good idea after all because although there is little alcohol in it your too close to the real thing. You have to go to a liquor store to purchase it.Psychologically your just trying to replace what your missing Still sober 6 months and I've stopped drinking N/A Beer