Notices

If you could travel back in time....

Old 06-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If you could travel back in time....

..... what advice would you give yourself on your first day sober? Whether you are a week sober or ten years or more, what should you have known then that you know now?

Old 06-19-2021, 05:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That it will all be worth it, no matter how terrible it is...keep going.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would tell myself that have just made the most important decision in my life to date, and that things will get better.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jeez on my 1st day sober i would have lots of advice for myself that would save me years! Quick answer, be very careful who you listen to, keep your own council apart from a couple of trusted people, do not talk about your recovery out of a recovery audience, do not accept that feeling like crap has anything at all to do with quitting alcohol, listen to your inner self as you already know the answers etc etc etc
Old 06-20-2021, 01:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I would tell myself that my life is about to change for the better. There will be many ups and downs, but ultimately you will live a life beyond your wildest dreams!
Old 06-20-2021, 01:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Abstinence is not control.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Scd619x View Post
do not accept that feeling like crap has anything at all to do with quitting alcohol, etc
I have to remember this now.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jeez on my 1st day sober i would have lots of advice for myself that would save me years! Quick answer, be very careful who you listen to, keep your own council apart from a couple of trusted people, do not talk about your recovery out of a recovery audience, do not accept that feeling like crap has anything at all to do with quitting alcohol, listen to your inner self as you already know the answers etc etc etc
Lots of great tid-bits of advice in there!
Old 06-20-2021, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't use chocolate as a crutch, you might get addicted!
Old 06-20-2021, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Just remember, I Never Drink Now
(Seeing as it's always Now, it's a fool-proof method requiring zero counting from the past or predictions for the future. )
Old 06-20-2021, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do not talk about recovery outside of a recovery audience - is that conventional wisdom? Cos all it can do is possibly harm your reputation with folk who don't get it? Just curious as I am quite open about my attempts to quit
Old 06-20-2021, 07:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
nez

Some of the greatest gifts of recovery will involve pain, avoiding pain is what led you to alcohol in the first place. Embrace the pain and you will get better. Just like a door, the only way to the other side is through, otherwise you will remain stuck in this room... and this room is hell... with lots of pain.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I would just tell myself I am going to be Ok.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
Do not talk about recovery outside of a recovery audience - is that conventional wisdom? Cos all it can do is possibly harm your reputation with folk who don't get it? Just curious as I am quite open about my attempts to quit
I think what is meant there is.... sharing your journey through recovery to "outsiders" never ends well. They don't understand, they will be quick to pass judgement and draw conclusions and it may potentially hurt you down the road.

I often make the parallel an addict in recovery to a soldier that comes home from war. No one will/can relate to them unless its another soldier. You really can't talk about your experiences, your struggles, the pain and hardships. No one else "gets it." I learned the hard way to keep to myself about it.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Understood, Notch. Makes a lot of sense.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'd say, "I get that you're not sure about this, whether it was 'necessary' to quit ... but I can tell you, yes it was necessary, and yes it will be so worth it. And I can reassure you that all the things you're so afraid of ... fearing that you can't do life without alcohol ... have no fear, it's easier than you think. Alcohol wants you to think it's necessary, but alcohol lies. You can do this, and it will pay off beyond your dreams."
Old 06-20-2021, 12:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dont be afraid its going to be tough but so worth it. Make sure to work on it everyday as temptation is everywhere but it gets easier. Your going to feel great, lose 50lbs and family life will never be better. To be honest i dont think id have believed me🙂
Old 06-20-2021, 01:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Don't allow yourself to be pressured by others. There are many different roads to recovery and you must find what works for you. Stay true to yourself and be powerful in your resolve. You will not be defeated.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Stop thinking of sobriety as a prison sentence. Look behind you at the prison you have just left, look in front of you at your new freedom.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
I would just tell myself I am going to be Ok.
This! I was so scared about everything... It would have been such a reassurance to know I was going to be OK at the end, no matter how difficult and scary the withdrawals and prospect of an alcohol-free life were. Mind you... if I had been confronted with the 'me of the future' telling me I was going to be OK I would have totally freaked out. I would have thought it was a crazy hallucination.