Notices

Are you Sober or 'Ultra Sober'?!

Old 05-26-2021, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Are you Sober or 'Ultra Sober'?!

I had a thought! Impressive right?!

But my thought was how strict are you with not consuming alcohol? Because thinking about it alcohol can be in things like mouthwash, cosmetics (and alcohol hand sanitizer is everywhere atm), in food (like Christmas puddings) and there must be other stuff I've forgotten.

Also I know a couple of people who 'never' drink expect for Christmas.

So im curious. I don't think there is a 'right' or 'wrong' answer for this though?
Old 05-26-2021, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The alcohol in products and cooking is up to the individual. Personally i have never necked mouthwash, or slurped up a white wine sauce and they are not triggers for me to drink but for others they may be. I know people that just drink at special occasions like Christmas and Birthdays, most drinkers don't bother with alcohol unless it is an event. I can guarantee you that you will never ever be like those people, they would never be here posting or even talk about having a potential problem with drinking. Moderation is achievable for some heavy drinkers if you commit to a period of abstinence first to give you time to work on it but, for me, there is no way on this earth that i'm drinking one beer and going home and i don't know many blokes who would be happy doing that either.

Keep going you are doing well
Old 05-26-2021, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jase, you may still be in the "bargaining" stage - I don't know.

I don't buy mouthwash - it isn't really good for teeth and mouth health in general. I asked my dentist(s). There are non-alcohol ones, though. I don't buy cold and sinus meds with alcohol in them, either - like NyQuil.

I also stopped buying Vanilla extract because the smell is triggery to me. It's made with vodka. I had to get over myself with the hand sanitizer that smells like a Margarita, but I do much prefer the stuff that's flowery smelling because it doesn't remind me of my favorite drink. I never had an urge to drink the extract, mouthwash, cold medicine, perfume or hand sanitizer, but some do have that urge.

I don't cook with wine.

I don't feel like I'm in danger of drinking, I just make those choices because I don't need the aggravation.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Um, Jase, you might want to be careful. Often when us alkies start having brilliant thoughts like this, we are setting ourselves up for a planned relapse.

Personally I don't eat foods with alcohol in them because I don't like the taste of it. When I drank, it was to get hammered not because I liked the flavour.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

To me it really boils down to intent Jase. Willing/knowing consumption of any quantity of alcohol is not sobriety in my book. Accidentally taking a few bites of a food dish that was cooked with some kind of alcohol, or using alcohol based products topically are not what I would consider knowing consumption.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
Um, Jase, you might want to be careful. Often when us alkies start having brilliant thoughts like this, we are setting ourselves up for a planned relapse.

Personally I don't eat foods with alcohol in them because I don't like the taste of it. When I drank, it was to get hammered not because I liked the flavour.
No danger of me having a brilliant thought . Lol.

I did actually try drinking alcohol based mouthwash one time when I was desperate (shameful I kno) but probably fortunately it made me really nauseous and kinda acted as aversion therapy for doing it again. But I do wonder if im sober whether the slight taste of such things would make me liable to crave or relapse. In other words am I best avoiding them or am I overthinking it.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by JaseUK View Post
In other words am I best avoiding them or am I overthinking it.
I would say both ;-) It's very common to overthink things in sobriety, and in some cases it's actually our addiction that plays a part. Addiction is an obsessive condition in itself, so its probably not a surprise that the obsession continues even after the substance ( alcohol ) is removed.

As far as avoiding these types of items, if you feel more comfortable doing so then it's the right thing for you to do. As you get more time under your belt that might change, but if you have any possible inkling that it will be a problem, then just avoid them for now - there are alcohol free versions of hand-sanitizer, mouthwash, readily available.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Through experience I choose not to eat food cooked in alcohol. I ate a Guinness infused pie early on & really ‘tasted the alcohol’. It was not a pleasant experience for me.

it was then I discovered that alcohol does not cook off as much as one might think.

Now I genuinely prefer food cooked without alcohol, even dishes traditionally made with alcohol.
The absence of the alcohol allows the other flavours to come out.

As far as mouthwash goes, and again in early recovery, I noticed I was using my alcohol based mouthwash more than when I used a non alc brand....so I knocked that on the head too.

I’ve had no triggering issues with deodorants or hand sanitizers tho, or things made with yeast like Vegemite

I know others do not go this far, and others might go further. It’s a question of personal choice/experience.

I’m not an Ultra anything or an obsessive crank. I think of it as protecting something most valuable to me - my recovery
Old 05-26-2021, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I’ve had no triggering issues with deodorants or hand sanitizers tho, or things made with yeast like Vegemite
I’m not an Ultra anything or an obsessive crank.
Vegemite?! Can tell you're one of our Australian cousins . Over here we have something similar (so I'm told) called Marmite and the big question is whether you love it or hate it (apparently there is no middle ground!).

I disagree that you're not 'Ultra anything'. Being sober since 2007 makes you ultra amazing if you ask me. I even had to do a double take when I read that thinking I must have read 2017! I'm here struggling with '7' days.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the wrap but I feel like I'm just an ordinary guy, and I like to spread the message that anyone can get to where I am ...
although I'm not a fan of Marmite

D
Old 05-27-2021, 12:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lpg

One thing I definitely need to avoid is night nurse not sure if it’s called something else in different parts of the world. I used the full bottle long after not being sick and it was hugely triggering for me. Haven’t found anything else do the same and no I wouldn’t just drink at Christmas either.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
One thing I definitely need to avoid is night nurse not sure if it’s called something else in different parts of the world. I used the full bottle long after not being sick and it was hugely triggering for me. Haven’t found anything else do the same and no I wouldn’t just drink at Christmas either.
Interestingly Night Nurse is my go to medication when I've got a cold. It's one of the few medications I've found that helps. I didn't even realise there was any alcohol in it! Might have to rethink whether I use it now.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by JaseUK View Post
Interestingly Night Nurse is my go to medication when I've got a cold. It's one of the few medications I've found that helps. I didn't even realise there was any alcohol in it! Might have to rethink whether I use it now.
I would avoid Jase, it contains the equivalent to a 75ml beer or a 30ml wine. I was shocked at the content. And it actually does have a warning for alcoholics on the leaflet inside, which I obviously bypassed.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Lpg

And that’s per dose btw
Old 05-28-2021, 04:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hand sanitiser is a big trigger for me, I literally inhale the smell and keep going back for another sniff (on my hands), it reminds me of neat vodka, so I avoid unless I am asked to use it at a hospital or something.

Also at Christmas I avoided buying mince pies with brandy, nice as they looked!

I don't use mouthwash as it kills good bacteria as well as bad.

If in doubt, leave it out.

I crave Marmite all the time, should I be worried?
Old 05-28-2021, 09:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sober style

I like to think that I'm extra-strength 5-star super-duper sober! Just adding an ultra ain't nearly enough.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
I like to think that I'm extra-strength 5-star super-duper sober! Just adding an ultra ain't nearly enough.
Lol fair enough! 😅
Old 05-28-2021, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
quat

I quit so hard I changed the tense “quat” .

I don't worry much about encountering trace amounts in food or whatnots , though I consistently avoid over the counter concoctions that have appreciable amounts. ( like Makers Mark and Bass Ale ,lol)
Old 05-28-2021, 03:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

dwtbd
Old 05-28-2021, 04:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's a good question. I am not triggered by mouth wash or hand sanitiser but I think I would be by a liquor chocolate, or a brandy mince pie or other boozy Christmas food so I will avoid them. BTW Marmite is a good source of vitamin B12 something that both alcoholics and vegetarians can be depleted of - for me it's just as well I love it - on toast, as a hot drink, on a cracker with cucumber.....