Notices

No posts

Old 12-15-2020, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
All is Change

No posts

?
Strange

I refreshed and there were no posts at all so I went to parent directory and then back in here and again no posts. So I made this thread and posted it and now the forum is back..

Why. I dont know. Ok now though

Last edited by Grymt; 12-15-2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-15-2020, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

I think you have to be signed in to see posts?
Old 12-15-2020, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The owners are progressively rolling out the signup/log in requirement forum by forum.
Alcoholism is now one of those forums you have to log in to read,

Don't know if that's what happened here Grymt but glad it's ok now.

D
Old 12-15-2020, 11:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

Ok, thank you for the help. Again refreshed and posts gone so I logged in and there they are
Old 12-16-2020, 12:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The owners are progressively rolling out the signup/log in requirement forum by forum.
Alcoholism is now one of those forums you have to log in to read,

Don't know if that's what happened here Grymt but glad it's ok now.

D
This is a really positive step. I know my work colleagues have seen my posts and it's easy for them to just "check in". Now no longer...unless of course they create a login to do so and I don't think they would do that.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

so...non-members don't get access to reading the alcoholism forum?
if that is so, i'll just say that lurking on a forum is a way that i and many others first got interested in joining, in showing up, in seeing there were others who might help.
would hate to see that gone.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
so...non-members don't get access to reading the alcoholism forum?
if that is so, i'll just say that lurking on a forum is a way that i and many others first got interested in joining, in showing up, in seeing there were others who might help.
would hate to see that gone.
I agree.

I never would have joined, had I not first been able to read and see how the Forums and the support worked.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

The lurking argument was presented by me and the other mod staff - but the change is happening, eventually for all forums.

This brings SR into line with just about every other forum I’m on.

I’m not good with change - but change is not just coming: it’s here.

I know the owners want SR a vibrant busy website again, which is what I/we want too

I’m hoping it works out

D

Old 12-16-2020, 11:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks, Dee.

As Dee said, we presented the obvious argument, but this is the decision the owners made. I hope for something positive to come of this.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Thanks, Dee.

As Dee said, we presented the obvious argument, but this is the decision the owners made. I hope for something positive to come of this.
Out of curiosity, what is the reason for doing this? Privacy?
Old 12-16-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

The owners hope to encourage more traffic to the boards.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Makes sense. I had to ditch my former user name about two years ago. Nosey SIL found me here and sent links to other nosey family.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Might make the most sense to have the newcomers forum available to lurkers to gain their interest in the site, but with the other forums only accessible via sign in. I don't think I would have signed up without seeing the content first.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

too bad.
personally, i do not ever sign up for anything unless i can see if i want to be there by reading extensively on a site.
and since i’m a skeptic , i assume it all comes down to data-collecting for numbers for sale to advertisers.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ZIP

Originally Posted by fini View Post
too bad.
personally, i do not ever sign up for anything unless i can see if i want to be there by reading extensively on a site.
and since i’m a skeptic , i assume it all comes down to data-collecting for numbers for sale to advertisers.
Agree. If I'm required to create a website account to even skim content, I simply move on. There always seems to be another one available to peruse as you page down...
Just my .02 USD
Old 12-16-2020, 08:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Some of the forums are visible without login, like the Newcomers sections. Personally I like that privacy is being enforced in some of the sections, like this one, especially with the types of personal stories that one might put on here in an honest moment of fulll disclosure. Not sure why Health and Fitness is hidden though.. lol.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Some of the forums are visible without login, like the Newcomers sections. Personally I like that privacy is being enforced in some of the sections, like this one, especially with the types of personal stories that one might put on here in an honest moment of fulll disclosure. Not sure why Health and Fitness is hidden though.. lol.
Dee said eventually it will be all the forums. I guess they are just doing it gradually.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GeoGo View Post
Might make the most sense to have the newcomers forum available to lurkers to gain their interest in the site, but with the other forums only accessible via sign in. I don't think I would have signed up without seeing the content first.
I belong to a sexual assault support forum and they have a similar setup. Non registered guests see one "open" forum where they can post without registering. But they are encouraged to, though. Its not a perfect system as I see the occasional newcomer open an account and still get banned for sassin' the mods or whatever.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I got a new phone so of course wasn’t logged in, and now understand Grymt’s initial confusion.

If you’re not logged in yet and come to this subforum you only see a message that says “No Posts.”

Don’t know about anybody else, but if I were new to this place, I would move right along and not even think to get an account because “No Posts” makes it look like there are literally posts.

If the goal is to encourage participation, it might be better to have a message that says something like “Log in to Join one of the 135879 conversations.”
Old 12-19-2020, 11:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was one who had reservations about this but I dunno...I may have been wrong.

Maybe it’s the season but it’s been great to have the numbers of newcomers registering beating the pants off the number of spam bots registering,...

There are a great deal of newcomers here now - and most of them are posting at least once.

Regardless of what we think of the change, and Irrespective of our guesses on the numbers of those who may not be registering, the ones who are here wanting help deserve a welcome.

If we show them what SR support is like, maybe they’ll stick around?

D