Notices

How do we treat alcoholism?

Old 11-16-2020, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do we treat alcoholism?

Treatment of Alcoholics

The key to treating alcoholism is to strengthen the central noradrenergic system.

Alcohol increases noradrenaline levels in the CSF.

Alcohol also takes the place of GABA at synapse.

My belief is that the nervous systems of alcoholics are lacking in a powerful way. There is some vital components or factor missing. Quite possibly from their diet.

The cause for this is not known to me. Any of a long list of reasons could be named.

But we do not necessarily need to know the true and original cause of alcoholism to treat it effectively.

The nervous system in alcoholics seems to be deficient in general. Many nutritional deficiencies are known to exist in in alcoholics, thiamine, folate and vitamin B12 being good examples. Alcoholics also have low levels of potassium, magnesium and calcium.

Diminished level of serum folic acid in 80% of alcoholics.

We can try and treat this with drugs like Baclofen and supplements, which can help people in this situation. Or we can use a new approach. Treat the problem with food.

· Fenugreek - with most meals: neuroregenerative properties. Take as hilbah poured on food.

· Milk thistle- good for liver

· Skullcap – alcohol withdrawal

· Valerian – withdrawal

· Passionflower – withdrawal

These plants taken as food and as supplements daily should help to control cravings for alcohol, combined with willpower and psychological help. This could create a huge difference for the recovering alcoholic. Always consult a doctor before trying any treatment.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My belief is that the nervous systems of alcoholics are lacking in a powerful way. There is some vital components or factor missing. Quite possibly from their diet.
Or illness and dysfunction is caused by adding a powerful neurotoxin to a previously healthy system. Poison tends to mess things up.

What is your point? Are you trying to say that herbs will fix things before someone becomes an alcoholic? Or? I'm not really following you.

Do you want to stop drinking?

People who stop drinking early enough usually heal from the effects in a few months even without taking any supplemental herbs. People who don't stop in time - well, that's another thread.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sober style

I think this guy is trying to sell us his herbs.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

don’t know who “we” are in this case. i treated my alcoholism by first stopping drinking and then implementing a way of living that incorporates ways of not manufacturing misery for myself and others and other things along those lines.
but yeah...is your new approach a sales pitch or what you have implemented to stop drinking and stay stopped?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In “seven weeks to sobriety” there is laid out a comprehensive nutritional approach to sobriety.

many doctors have called alcoholism a nutritional disease. Alcohol wastes critical nutrients impairing mood and mental stability, which furthers more craving for alcohol.

nutritional supplementation is a very real adjunct to healing from the damaging effects of alcohol and allowing decreased cravings and prolonged sobriety.

However, that memory imprint of the dopamine dump is powerful, in early sobriety it’s not easily brushed aside or forgotten, and the memory of the euphoria is there whether you feel good physically and mentally, or not. Memory is not just wiped away.

you have to brainwash yourself in the other direction no matter how good you feel. Daily meditations and repetitions of the dark side of alcohol, over and over and over again, to override the addictions rosy memories that pushed through.

it was like being in the trenches, me against the addiction, it took months of mental training to truly start to believe there was nothing left in the drinking life that would serve me or make me happy.

so there IS a psychological component that must be overcome, no matter how fit, mentally strong, physically good you feel.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not with this Spam 😅
Old 11-17-2020, 09:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't find anything (so far) that suggests this post is not genuine, so please quit it with the spam/trying to sell us stuff comments, guys.

Y'all know how to report posts.

Thanks,

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 11-18-2020, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm failing to see why this post warranted the reaction it got. It was a cogent, well written argument for a holistic approach to treating alcoholism.

People write about popping antidepressants all the time and nobody bats an eyelash.

It must be a scam...I mean seriously?
Old 11-18-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post NewApproach.

Nutrition is very important to recovery and the suggestions made are in keeping with those I have read before.

I did a lot of this when I stopped and found it helped.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by WeThinkNot View Post
I'm failing to see why this post warranted the reaction it got. It was a cogent, well written argument for a holistic approach to treating alcoholism.

People write about popping antidepressants all the time and nobody bats an eyelash.

It must be a scam...I mean seriously?
I posted to gently suggest we move on from the topic of the OPs motivation.
Let’s do that

D
Old 11-18-2020, 02:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newapproach View Post
Treatment of Alcoholics

The key to treating alcoholism is to strengthen the central noradrenergic system.

Alcohol increases noradrenaline levels in the CSF.

Alcohol also takes the place of GABA at synapse.

The cause for this is not known to me. Any of a long list of reasons could be named.

But we do not necessarily need to know the true and original cause of alcoholism to treat it effectively.

The nervous system in alcoholics seems to be deficient in general. Many nutritional deficiencies are known to exist in in alcoholics, thiamine, folate and vitamin B12 being good examples. Alcoholics also have low levels of potassium, magnesium and calcium.

Diminished level of serum folic acid in 80% of alcoholics.

We can try and treat this with drugs like Baclofen and supplements, which can help people in this situation. Or we can use a new approach. Treat the problem with food.

· Fenugreek - with most meals: neuroregenerative properties. Take as hilbah poured on food.

· Milk thistle- good for liver

· Skullcap – alcohol withdrawal

· Valerian – withdrawal

· Passionflower – withdrawal

These plants taken as food and as supplements daily should help to control cravings for alcohol, combined with willpower and psychological help. This could create a huge difference for the recovering alcoholic. Always consult a doctor before trying any treatment.
I actually believe that there is no difference in the make up of alcoholics and normal drinkers, it's just not everyone progresses to the full blown alcoholic stage. Alcoholism could affect anyone who chooses to start drinking and an alcoholic is just someone who is at an advanced stage of that disease.

​​​​​​Almost every alcoholic started out as a normal drinker imo.

Day 93 is coming for me.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by davyhay View Post
I actually believe that there is no difference in the make up of alcoholics and normal drinkers, it's just not everyone progresses to the full blown alcoholic stage. Alcoholism could affect anyone who chooses to start drinking and an alcoholic is just someone who is at an advanced stage of that disease.

Day 93 is coming for me.
I unfortunately have never in my life been a normal drinker. Does that mean stopping at 1 or 2? Just wondering how “normal drinker” is defined. Closest I’ve ever been to normal drinking is around 4-5 every time I drank, I considered that excellent drinking when it came to me, the way my friends drank only 1 looked completely impossible.

Even as a teen I had an oddly high tolerance and alcohol would wake me up, while it put my friends to sleep.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just use will power for ever
Old 11-20-2020, 01:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by davyhay View Post

Day 93 is coming for me.
You have quoted Alan Carr there. Great man he was, but maybe he didn't get everything right?
Old 11-20-2020, 09:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scottwindle View Post
Just use will power for ever
welcome, scottwindle.
most of us have found willpower alone to be strangely insufficient for long-term sobriety, as it is basically a powerstruggle. it is draining, and exhausting, and kinda torturous. of the various methods people use to achieve ongoing sobriety, eternal willpower seems the least popular, for good reasons.
if that is what you are using, or are planning to rely on for ever, i'd really encourage you to read all over this site and see if you might add to that, or change that "method" itself as an approach.
in a way, you already have: you came here, are participating and connecting with others.
how are you finding the willpower thing in day-to-day experience?
Old 11-20-2020, 09:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
welcome, scottwindle.
most of us have found willpower alone to be strangely insufficient for long-term sobriety, as it is basically a powerstruggle. it is draining, and exhausting, and kinda torturous. of the various methods people use to achieve ongoing sobriety, eternal willpower seems the least popular, for good reasons.
if that is what you are using, or are planning to rely on for ever, i'd really encourage you to read all over this site and see if you might add to that, or change that "method" itself as an approach.
in a way, you already have: you came here, are participating and connecting with others.
how are you finding the willpower thing in day-to-day experience?

Sorry I meant to a question mark on my post. I agree will power won't work.

Old 11-20-2020, 07:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

ha!
what a difference a little curvy scribble can make, eh??
glad we cleared that up!
what are you thinking might work for you?
Old 11-21-2020, 06:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Abstaining but trying to make it my choice instead of willpower
Old 11-21-2020, 09:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

you might find the AVRT threads in the Secular Recovery forums farther down of use and interest.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...iscussion.html (Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion)

Old 11-21-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Using non alcoholic beer and non alcoholic gin n tonic I find helps.