Notices

A bit blue..

Old 04-30-2020, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A bit blue..

I'm not sure how to begin with this one. I guess, firstly, I haven't had a drink in something like six months. While I am obviously happy about that, I've been having a rough time of it recently (haven't we all?) and I'm pretty sure the only reason I haven't caved is because I am pregnant. I am super grateful that I haven't been seriously tempted to drink during pregnancy- it's just absolutely not going to happen, I am 100% sure of that. However I guess I am just worried about my resolve outside of forced sobriety. There have been times I've thought to myself that if I weren't pregnant, I would probably just give in and have a drink. I am also not going to be preggers forever, and I guess I am also worried about my ability to maintain sobriety after I've finished breastfeeding. My mom is an alcoholic, and I have a lot of really negative childhood memories thanks to her drinking. I don't want to ever do that to my children. Thanks for letting me ramble, I guess I could just use a little pep talk and maybe some advice about staying the course during really big life changes.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your pregnancy Shealy
If you feel you'll struggle staying sober after you give birth why not start working on a plan to beat your addiction - right now?
D
Old 04-30-2020, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. Sorry you're feeling a bit blue. In the AA big book it mentions that we tend to be restless, irritable and discontent when we find ourselves without a drink and recovery strategies aren't in place. Perhaps that's what you're experiencing. At the moment there are lots of great online meetings you could tap into.
Another option that might be worth exploring is ACA (Adult Children of Alcoholics). I've found their literature very good for exploring my emotional state and some of the less useful strategies I seem to have developed over the years for dealing with life and feelings and my head. One of those things was running away by drinking - when I got sober I felt like I'd lost my main escape route and felt pretty trapped inside my own head, with all those new feelings, and the thoughts and memories I'd managed to run away from into alcoholic blurs were back and very overwhelming. At about 6 months I actually hit a new rock bottom and it was necessary for me to start working on my recovery in earnest to pull myself out of the darkness and see the light at the end of the tunnel.
The adult children info is here if you fancy looking at it ... https://adultchildren.org/
Anyway - hope you feel perkier soon.
Keep trudging that sober path
BB