Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I'm almost 2 years sober. I didn't expect to get this far.

Notices

Old 04-18-2020, 03:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coronavirus has me bored, so I thought I'd post an update to my journey and maybe provide some encouragement for others.

Right now these are some testing times. With most of the world on lockdown life is pretty much boring for most folk. I'm agoraphobic (a side effect of quitting alcohol), so it's mostly just a regular day for me being locked in the house. It's a bit tense with the wife and kid because we're all under each others feet.

I don't want to sound like a preacher, but alcohol is not the solution. These are the testing times where you need to overcome this addiction. I've been through so many testing times during my sobriety but I've always remained strong.

It was so hard going for a family meal at a pub. It was tough walking into a shop and not heading for the beer fridge. It was near impossible to sit outside in the garden with neighbors and have to turn down every drink offered to me.

But the more you expose yourself to these situations and conquer them the easier sobriety comes. The brain forgets habbits if you stop doing them. The above situations soon became non issues and I can go anywhere and not think "I need a drink". The thought of alcohol does not cross my mind at all anymore.

I was chatting to my neighbor just the other day. We were out enjoying the sun and he was drinking. We spoke about our favorite alcoholic drinks, the times we'd been wasted, hangover cures etc.

In the past such conversations would be triggers. But today such conversations are just like a regular conversion.

Now is the perfect time to quit because there's no need to call in to work to book 2 weeks off to recover. You can spend your time in bed. Sleep it off for a bit if possible. I spent weeks in bed while I quit until I could muster up the mental energy to get out of bed and do something constructive.

I'm doing great today. I didn't think I'd make it 2 years sober. Never imagined it. But, I can honestly say there is nothing in this world that would make me drink alcohol. I've been through death, depression, anxiety, financial struggles, relationship problems ... and through all of it I've remained sober.

I'm nobody special. I'm just a dude who decided he'd had enough. I am thankful this forum helped me out and I will always pop back from time to time to offer advice to others.

Wishing you all a sober recovery. I'll raise my cup of tea to everyone going through the journey right now.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your sober time, 16YearsDrunk

D
Old 04-18-2020, 03:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations!!
Old 04-18-2020, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

Beautifully put, 16Years. I raise my mug of coffee to your tea and salute the sober life and its many blessings, and also your 2 years! Well done.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats! I'm far behind you, I celebrate 30 days today. Most I got was three months about four years ago. Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

2 yrs is wonderful, 16years....congratulations on this fabulous milestone.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well done
Old 04-18-2020, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post, and I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post man, well done. I seem to remember you 'cause my drunk career was also 16 years. Now I'm retired.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful

Nice post and congrats on 2 years 16YearsDrunk!