Notices

So confused, where to turn?

Old 02-23-2020, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So confused, where to turn?

I manage to stop for a few days, only to go on a tear for the weekend. Can't stand to be alone with myself, in my own head, if that makes sense. I took up new hobbies since I last have sobriety a serious try, and I should pour myself into that instead.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have a plan in place? Support mechanisms, steps in place for reaching out when you’re triggered? I’ve had so many Day 1s that I lost count. Until I had a solid plan in place, I wasn’t able to do this.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You will find a very supportive community of people here on SR almost 24/7. You could search for local support groups as well. It’s a lot easier to learn a sober way of life with others vs alone.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Support was a game changer for me notch8.
I credit SR will keeping me sober in those first few months.

Face to face support helps many too - recovery groups like AA or SMART recovery, doctors counselling, inpatient or outpatient rehab.

Throw as many things at this as you can

D
Old 02-24-2020, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I looked up these "recovery plans" and its not something I explored before. Are there any threads here on SR that could act as a template?

If I were to take a swing at my main failing point, it would be commitment. I seem to go into sobriety with an attitude of "lets see how it works out this time."
Old 02-24-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Notch8 View Post
If I were to take a swing at my main failing point, it would be commitment. I seem to go into sobriety with an attitude of "lets see how it works out this time."
"Let's see how it works out," is just taking a swing at recovery and not a very strong one at that. You have to go at it FULL BORE.
  • Accept you are an alcoholic. I don't mean just say it. Accept it.
  • Accept you can't be a normal drinker. Ever
  • Accept you can never drink again. Ever
  • Be willing to do everything in your power to get sober and stay sober. By everything, I mean reconsider those things you might have been rejecting. AA comes to mind, but it could be counseling, rehab, whatever. This is your list not mine.
  • Then, implement and work a solid recovery plan, because whatever you are doing now, it isn't working.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
"Let's see how it works out," is just taking a swing at recovery and not a very strong one at that. You have to go at it FULL BORE.
  • Accept you are an alcoholic. I don't mean just say it. Accept it.
  • Accept you can't be a normal drinker. Ever
  • Accept you can never drink again. Ever
  • Be willing to do everything in your power to get sober and stay sober. By everything, I mean reconsider those things you might have been rejecting. AA comes to mind, but it could be counseling, rehab, whatever. This is your list not mine.
  • Then, implement and work a solid recovery plan, because whatever you are doing now, it isn't working.
Yes, it’s total commitment, every minute of every day, every single day of the week. So that when Friday rolls around, it feels strange and wrong to consider the bar or the liquor store. Total commitment.

It’s too fierce a foe for anything less.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Notch8 View Post
I looked up these "recovery plans" and its not something I explored before. Are there any threads here on SR that could act as a template?

The whole idea is its your plan, built by you, structured for your life - its not meant to be an exam or anything

I'll see if I can dredge up a thread where someone laid out their plan.
here's two

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (My Recovery Plan)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ck-please.html (My Recovery Plan: Feedback Please)

the part a lot of people baulk at what to do if you want to drink, what to do if you have an opportunity to drink etc so I recommend especially thinking about that part.

What would your strategies look like?

D
Old 02-24-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lots of very wise words. Hobby's are good- but they are distractions. I need to make recovery my prime focus- every day (including logging into SR first thing, with a coffee). If I lose my recovery, I lose everything- hobbies, health, everything.

I hope you read and learn from the above posts.

My support to you.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nez

Make honest in depth self reflection your new hobby.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Notch, it doesn’t just “work out” or “not work out”, this time or next time or any time.
YOU are the one who has to “work it”, whatever route and plan you decide to follow. it’s an inside thing.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My sobriety plan was weekly sessions with my addiction counselor, and coming here, to SR, many times a day. Then when I wasn't 'feeling it' in sobriety, it was suggested that I start to practice gratitude every day. Now gratitude is a major part of my continuing sobriety plan.

I no longer see the counselor but still come here every day and read/post. SR is my family on the desk. My family who lives in my computer.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I printed out something from another site and I will work at putting something together throughout the day.

I've been tapering off the past few days, so this will be day one.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hi Notch,
how is it going with you today?
Old 03-03-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
hi Notch,
how is it going with you today?
Wrappin' up day two. Trying to keep myself busy. I write a lot and so I make lists of stuff that needs done. I'm designing an exercise program for myself as that helped tons in the past. Also my diet was obviously trash.

Trying to stay in touch with the here and now, praying, meditating. Also trying to reconnect with my older children and never loose touch with my youngest ones.

Last night I didn't sleep all that bad. The sweets are annoying as well remember. May start a new thread to act as an accountability blog of sorts. If I can past tomorrow, I won a small battle in this war.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

having daily “sobriety-do” made a huge difference for me. that , for me, was/is specifically sobriety-related, such as reading about it, participating on a forum, talking with a sober alcoholic. keeping busy and distractions have their place, for sure. but putting focus on the “recovery-thing” has been invaluable for me.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hope you’re doing better, Friend,

In my experience breaking the cycle was always the hardest thing. I still do it just day at a time but when I was sick it was a minute at a time..

Not sure if you have any sober friends, if so I’d be hanging out with them a lot. When I first got sober I spent the day at AA and just to get my mind off things I’d go see an afternoon movie.. sounds corny but it was 1.5 I could get my mind off everything..

Wishing you the best.. You can do this!!! Please stay in touch here!! I’ve been an active member since the 44th was Re-elected and hit my bottom.. nov 2012

Keep coming back, please! It gets easier and a lot better.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
sober style

Hang in there, Notch. It can be brutal early on, we've all been there. Ask for help when things seem to start going sideways, as they always seem to, and you start feeling like you have to drink. You never have to drink again, you really don't.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words! Still hanging in there... day three was always the make-it or break-it point for me.