Notices

Ashamed

Old 02-09-2020, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ashamed

Drank beer yesterday, first time in 6 months. I’m not sure why. I’m disappointed in myself.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It can happen like that.
The important thing is you came straight back walnut

Shame just keeps us drinking - we've all been there - you're among friends here

D
Old 02-09-2020, 01:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It seems like a hand grenade I carry around, I pull the pin then put it back in. Just hope not to drop it.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dust yourself off and get back on track
Old 02-09-2020, 03:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sober style

It can take awhile to get the knack of sobriety, Walnut. Thankfully it's a skill we can practice and perfect over time. 6 months is a good run, if you start right back getting each day right again that's what counts. My first serious run was 75 days, it was breaking that one that first brought me to SR for help. Then I had a 208 day one, and now I'm just past 3 years. All the best to you, post often here on SR about how you're doing! Lots of help here for the asking, good people who know what it's like. It's a huge advantage in staying sober each day, having this system in place and available 24/7.

And we'd love to have you in the counting thread of course haha!
Old 02-09-2020, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Flip it around. Don’t be ashamed, be so proud of yourself that you made six months! That means you know how to do this. Just start back up, and if you ever feel that beer need again, remind yourself of how you feel right now. It wasn’t worth it, was it? You can do this. You’ve already proven you can.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
It can take awhile to get the knack of sobriety, Walnut. Thankfully it's a skill we can practice and perfect over time. 6 months is a good run, if you start right back getting each day right again that's what counts. My first serious run was 75 days, it was breaking that one that first brought me to SR for help. Then I had a 208 day one, and now I'm just past 3 years. All the best to you, post often here on SR about how you're doing! Lots of help here for the asking, good people who know what it's like. It's a huge advantage in staying sober each day, having this system in place and available 24/7.

And we'd love to have you in the counting thread of course haha!
What a terrific post. You’re proof that hard work and determination is something which should he and actually is rewarded. So to the OP, I hope you see why you shouldn’t be ashamed. Rather, this six months sober is a TERRIFIC forecaster of a sober life to come.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 1. I had actually made it over 7 months, since July 1. Strange how a six pack can cause the regrets/thoughts of the past to come back, they haven’t bothered/haunted me for a long time.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi Walnut,
the "I don't know why" is what it came down to foer me. there were things each time that were an impetus, a trigger, or even just a "because i want!", but WHY did i want?? ultimately proved to be unknowable on some level. and not necessary to know in order to quit for good.

have you done something to support your sobriety other than not drink in those seven months? going forward, that wouod be something to strongly consider.

way to go on day 1 immediately!
Old 02-09-2020, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you're feeling so down, Walnut, but it's great that you are back and working on your recovery again.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No, I haven’t done anything other than visit this website. It’s like you guys can read my mind!
Old 02-09-2020, 09:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Walnut1 View Post
Drank beer yesterday, first time in 6 months. I’m not sure why. I’m disappointed in myself.
Don't beat yourself up over it, you're only human. At the end of the day, it's not the end of the world because you had a few beers. Just pick yourself back up, dust yourself off and continue pushing forward. It's the best we can do in this world.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm also on day one again after giving up on sobriety for quite a while. I'm also ashamed. It's a bloody hard thing to do. We just need to try again and keep trying.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 1. I had actually made it over 7 months, since July 1. Strange how a six pack can cause the regrets/thoughts of the past to come back, they haven’t bothered/haunted me for a long time.
THANK YOU for this post. I didn’t know realize that relapsing could make all those regrets/thoughts flood back and bother/haunt me again. I hadn’t thought about that. Knowing and remembering this will be yet another tool in my tool box. I really appreciate you sharing that.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Devious0ne View Post
Don't beat yourself up over it, you're only human. At the end of the day, it's not the end of the world because you had a few beers. Just pick yourself back up, dust yourself off and continue pushing forward. It's the best we can do in this world.
Yes, follow this advice. Don’t beat yourself up. Who does that help?? NO ONE. So, instead I’ll say congratulations on your six months! Can’t wait to hear of your next successes!
Old 02-09-2020, 07:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No, I haven’t done anything other than visit this website. It’s like you guys can read my mind!
that might be something to consider changing.

i had to throw myself into “recovery” by daily participation and engagement with others in order to make it “stick.
looks like what you were doing didn’t get the desired results; changing the action and/or adding to it seems like a good idea.
in your visits, you might have come across some long-sober people, so how about seeing what they have done and following one of those paths?
Old 02-09-2020, 08:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ZIP

No reason for shame, friend. It happened and it's over.
I think you can get right back to a sober lifestyle.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What were you doing during that 6-7 mo time sober? Dee just boosted his thread on Why Am I Always suggest a plan and it could be helpful to you for new/different/additional ideas.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going walnut?

D