Notices

Today marks 1 month sober

Old 02-05-2020, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today marks 1 month sober

Today marks 1 month sober for me!

I'm amazed at how quick that month has flown by, and even more amazed that during that month I've had zero craving for alcohol and no desire to drink. Even on days that were stressful.

Things that have changed in the last month:
  • Obviously, I feel much better and have more energy
  • Face has cleared up, slight redness on the cheeks but facial blemishes like acne has gone away.
  • Appetite has came back in full force. I CAN EAT!!!!!!! I love that part!
  • Sleep has returned. I can lay down at night and within 30 minutes be out, and I sleep through the night!
  • Saving money! This has been great, instead of blowing all my money on alcohol, I get to use that money to buy things I want or to go out and have fun!

The only one negative that I admit I still deal with is fighting boredom during the evenings. For the most part, it's almost every night of just sitting in the recliner flipping through channels on the TV just waiting for sleep to come and while that sucks, it hasn't been unbearable.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job!
Old 02-05-2020, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your first month!
Old 02-05-2020, 05:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a month, that is awesome. Especially with all the positives you noted, awesome.
Yes, it can seem a little boring to be sober at first, but soon the world will open up to you and there won't be enough time in a day to do all you want to. So just hang in there, things will fall into place.
You're sober now. The world is your oyster.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on a month Devious! I'd say your pro list far outweighs the cons, thanks for sharing that.

I'd also echo that boredom is really a state of mind that's not necessarily related to drinking or not drinking. Take a look at this thread if you haven't before, it's a great starter for finding more interesting things to do with your time.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)
Old 02-05-2020, 11:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well, DeviousOne.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice work!
Old 02-05-2020, 11:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on a month man

it's almost every night of just sitting in the recliner flipping through channels on the TV just waiting for sleep to come and while that sucks,
yeah I did that too until I realised that was pretty much what I used to do drunk.

You're not limited anymore - you can do whatever you want with your evenings DO

D
Old 02-05-2020, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Congratulations.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Sweet! That is awesome!
Old 02-05-2020, 08:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ZIP

30 days is one of the big benchmarks!
Great job.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Congratulations on a month, that is awesome. Especially with all the positives you noted, awesome.
Thanks.

I feel that focusing on the positives, and not on the negatives, is a part of what leads us to success in pretty much all aspects in life, that includes achieving sobriety. I find that focusing on the negatives is tiresome, pointless and does nothing but bring a person down.

A great friend of mine and I were talking today, and he asked if I missed drinking; and honestly the answer is no. I don't miss the hangovers, I don't miss the lack of energy, I don't miss waking up at noon or 1PM on the weekends, only to then lay around in a recliner as I continue to recover. Sure, I may find my evenings a little boring these days but I would rather deal with 3-4 hours of slight boredom than spending the entire following day recovering from a few hours of drinking the night before.

I'm happy where I am now and I look forward to the good things ahead. I consider myself blessed that this journey has been fairly easy, and I've not found myself craving or wanting to drink. Even on days where work stressed me out and I found myself wanting to murder people (just kidding), I had no desire to come home and drink. I don't know why it has come easy for me, I like to think that my mom (who passed recently) has been by myself this whole time and maybe that's why I am where I am today.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You sound like you’re doing truly amazing! And I’m glad for you that it hasn’t been too horrible of an experience. As I started to reframe “boredom” into “peace”, I began to feel better about it. I’m reading more and more, got a pet, and am going to bed earlier. All of these things have helped. I’m going to bed much earlier but also waking up earlier and having nice relaxing mornings. I’ll never get over not being hungover. Good luck to you!
Old 02-06-2020, 07:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations! That’s a great accomplishment!
Old 02-09-2020, 10:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
You sound like you’re doing truly amazing! And I’m glad for you that it hasn’t been too horrible of an experience. As I started to reframe “boredom” into “peace”, I began to feel better about it. I’m reading more and more, got a pet, and am going to bed earlier. All of these things have helped. I’m going to bed much earlier but also waking up earlier and having nice relaxing mornings. I’ll never get over not being hungover. Good luck to you!
Same here on the sleep thing, even on the weekends I find myself barely able to stay up until midnight. Use to, when I did drink, I would stay up until 3-4AM on the weekends, now I can barely made it until midnight and I'm ALWAYS up between 5-6AM, even on the weekends!

Sure, would be nice to sleep in past 7AM lol.. but I don't mind having all this time to myself now and not waking up at noon or 1PM hungover. Definitely way better and actually feel like I get a lot more done!
Old 02-09-2020, 01:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations!! Evenings are tough for me too so I sympathise.