Notices

I ditched the super bowl party

Old 02-02-2020, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I ditched the super bowl party

I’m so over drunk fests and all the friends I used to have that are now just friends with my husband getting hammered at my house, yelling at the tv, beer cans everywhere, messy plates of food, children tearing my house apart because drunk adults are unable to watch them. I’m done babysitting all our friends punk kids because they are drunk in front of the tv.

So I left at 11:15 this morning and didn’t come back until 7:30. Pissed my husband off, but I had peace. I did a rowing workout, some bouldering, some shopping, and I had actually looked up an AA meeting for 7pm but my oldest girl (my 23 year old beauty) who was also ditching the drunk fest, wanted to meet up for dinner and gelato instead.

I’m over it. I’m over people getting ********* at parties around me no matter who it is, and at this stage in my sobriety I don’t have to try to make everyone happy.

I used to get blotto every year at this party, I’m sure they all liked me better then. Oh well.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Drunks are so annoying! I went and picked up some of my friends at bar close once and I walk in to see a bunch of sober people and one table of obnoxious drunks (my friends). I used to think everyone was drunk by bar close.

I've drifted away from the people in my life who drink because we don't enjoy the same things anymore. One of them I consider a true friend too and not a "drinking buddy".

You had a better day doing things you enjoy and getting to hang out with the daughter.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you for doing that. It sounds like you had a great day.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. It was really good for me to say no to that today. Just...
No.

I came home and they had cleaned up after themselves. I think they pictured me coming home to their chaos and made a courteous choice there, so that was good.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a good decision to me Stayingsassy

D
Old 02-02-2020, 10:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ZIP

Good for you. The longer I commit to sobriety, the less I enjoy the company of boisterous drinkers. I still shake my head when I think I used to be right there in that group...
Old 02-03-2020, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great choice on skipping the Super Bowl drunk fest at your house.

I am surprised however that they cleaned up after themselves.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am afraid of drunks. You never know when they are going to fly off the handle and turn venemous. I would rather just stay away from them
Old 02-03-2020, 06:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Like I said to SoberRican a few days ago...Superbowl...that's football, right?

Sounds like your day was far more relaxing and soothing to the soul.

I have such a completely opposite life from most of pop culture. No regular TV (only Netflix vetted carefully,) which means no commercials, no news, no politics, no sports, no gossip shows or Housewives of Whatever City-type things. No drinking, just a nice quiet existence - low stress, plenty of good home-cooked food and lots of outdoor time. I avoid drama - such as drinking events always are.

It can be Spring any time now, though. The long walks in the rain are losing their magic right about now.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sometimes because of work or family obligations I find myself in a room full of people on their way to getting hammered.

What I do is socialize and once the noise level starts to rise I take off.

Then the next day if there's gossip or hard feelings over something which happen the night before...

Well, I was gone before anything happened.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smooth move, Sassy ~

I'm in the luxurious position that can go with getting older. I don't do much of anything out of obligation. So, when the going gets tough, this Dude makes like *Donald*, and ducks out.

Well into Sobriety, I saw a Drugs/Alcohol Counselor for all of ~4 Sessions. The motivator for these Sessions was to get some new ideas - and to get heard - re: Socializing expectations. It wasn't about me, really, It was about the pressure to join in and Alcoholize. Whatever pressure a few Folks try to put on me, I just blow it off. Effortlessly. As I did yesterday. I took our Pooch to a ritzy new Dog Park down here in the Desert, and skipped all the Super Bowl TV Ads that cost a reported $5.6 Million/30 Seconds.

So, well done on spending your Day your way. As it becomes The New Normal, it feels mighty good!
Old 02-03-2020, 10:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Go Sassy, go! Your alternative day sounds absolutely wonderful, especially quality time with your daughter. What a wise decision to ditch Super Bowl, a joy of sobriety. I'm in the UK and haven't googled SB, but it sounds, ahem, 'mainstream popular' with the TV Ads costing so much!
Old 02-03-2020, 11:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Go Sassy, go! Your alternative day sounds absolutely wonderful, especially quality time with your daughter. What a wise decision to ditch Super Bowl, a joy of sobriety. I'm in the UK and haven't googled SB, but it sounds, ahem, 'mainstream popular' with the TV Ads costing so much!

Yeah, it's become mainstream with over the top halftime activities as well as flashy commercials. So even if you're not a sports fan like my wife you want to see the halftime show/commercials

The game usually starts in the late afternoon but many people begin partying around noon.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Thank you. It was really good for me to say no to that today. Just...
No.

I came home and they had cleaned up after themselves. I think they pictured me coming home to their chaos and made a courteous choice there, so that was good.

Sassy,
You have been SUCH a success and source of inspiration over the years. You said you were going to stay sober no matter what, and you did it. And I know parts of the recovery process you and I see the same way, according to your post the other day. So, I hope you take this is in the kind way I mean it. You just seem very, very angry. Even innocent children are incurring you’re wrath (“punk kids”...that made me sad), and your husband and guests don’t even get the credit for cleaning up bc you’re sure “they pictured you coming home...” Maybe they cleaned up bc it was the right thing to do at someone else’s house, especially when the wife was gone all day since she doesn’t drink anymore? It almost seems like you’re angry that they cleaned up after themselves. And if they didn’t clean up after themselves, you would’ve been angry about that. You just seem so, so mad at the world, particularly when you say you’re “over trying to make any one else happy.” Did anyone ask you to make them happy? They seemed like they were having a pretty good time together as is, right? I think what you’ve accomplished becoming sober is one of the most amazing things anyone can accomplish. But I just wish that you would be able to enjoy it more. It doesn’t seem from most of your posts that you do. I think that should be the part of the recovery process you really work on. After all your hard work, you deserve to enjoy it. We can’t change anyone else. No one could stop me when I was drinking. I think we just have to be fair to those around us and if they still get joy from it, it’s their lives. I figure in the same way they supported me when I was not my best self, I still have to support all of them even if they aren’t their best selves. It’s the least I can do. I just wish you could be happier in your sobriety. That would be the best model those drinking folks could have that it’s the way to go, right? I think you’re doing awesome. I just want you to enjoy it.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Nice
Old 02-03-2020, 07:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post

Sassy,
You have been SUCH a success and source of inspiration over the years. You said you were going to stay sober no matter what, and you did it. And I know parts of the recovery process you and I see the same way, according to your post the other day. So, I hope you take this is in the kind way I mean it. You just seem very, very angry. Even innocent children are incurring you’re wrath (“punk kids”...that made me sad), and your husband and guests don’t even get the credit for cleaning up bc you’re sure “they pictured you coming home...” Maybe they cleaned up bc it was the right thing to do at someone else’s house, especially when the wife was gone all day since she doesn’t drink anymore? It almost seems like you’re angry that they cleaned up after themselves. And if they didn’t clean up after themselves, you would’ve been angry about that. You just seem so, so mad at the world, particularly when you say you’re “over trying to make any one else happy.” Did anyone ask you to make them happy? They seemed like they were having a pretty good time together as is, right? I think what you’ve accomplished becoming sober is one of the most amazing things anyone can accomplish. But I just wish that you would be able to enjoy it more. It doesn’t seem from most of your posts that you do. I think that should be the part of the recovery process you really work on. After all your hard work, you deserve to enjoy it. We can’t change anyone else. No one could stop me when I was drinking. I think we just have to be fair to those around us and if they still get joy from it, it’s their lives. I figure in the same way they supported me when I was not my best self, I still have to support all of them even if they aren’t their best selves. It’s the least I can do. I just wish you could be happier in your sobriety. That would be the best model those drinking folks could have that it’s the way to go, right? I think you’re doing awesome. I just want you to enjoy it.

That was super passive-aggressive, but I respect your right to make your point.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's great, hopefully you set a precedent and whenever they congregate to get drunk they will know it's your time to shine and do exactly what you want to do! I used to say to everyone 'of course I don't mind you drinking, please don't feel awkward drinking around me', but now I feel I don't want to be around it, at all. Not because I'm tempted, I just find it gross. So we can let them get on with it and enjoy what we want to do, win win!
Old 02-04-2020, 03:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well I won't be passive aggressive at all and I am not sure this was the intent.

Perhaps Sassy is just a bit worn out with her living situation? For many of us with long drinking careers the decisions we made years ago like who we became friends with and who we married were tainted by the booze. Then we have children, plus other responsibilities and commitments and we stop drinking. But everyone else around us is still drinking. Now what?
Old 02-04-2020, 03:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
That was super passive-aggressive, but I respect your right to make your point.
I don’t think there was anything passive or aggressive about it. Just my my honest thoughts after reading all of your posts. I’m sincerely sorry you read it that way, though. But I guess that’s sort of my point - I wish you wouldn’t see it in that negative way. I wish you’d see it the positive way. Your family had a great day. And so did you. You put up a thread, and I told you another way/perspective to view it as which might alter how you see things. No aggression meant.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
Well I won't be passive aggressive at all and I am not sure this was the intent.

Perhaps Sassy is just a bit worn out with her living situation? For many of us with long drinking careers the decisions we made years ago like who we became friends with and who we married were tainted by the booze. Then we have children, plus other responsibilities and commitments and we stop drinking. But everyone else around us is still drinking. Now what?

well, she ended with “I’m sure they all liked me better...”. If you’re asking what the intent was, it was clearly to vent, right. Which I completely understand her wanting to do. She’s every right to do and it completely makes sense. But I could be another poster that said oh that sucks or I could say what I really feel, which is that she seems very angry and I would work on that if I would her. Of course Sassy is 100% understandably “worn out”, as you said. But not recognizing she’s starting to lash out unfairly or be bitter doesn’t help anyone. This is something I’ve noticed in the post with multiple posts, that’s concerned me, so I decided to bring up in the hope that it helps. And I hope that it does.