Notices

Healing of the body after giving up drinking

Old 01-08-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Healing of the body after giving up drinking

Today marks my 4th day sober, I'm curious about the body healing once you've given up drinking. Yesterday I went to a clinic where they took two vials of bloods to be tested, today got the results which are:

Low vitamin D, or vitamin D deficiency
Low testosterone level
High liver enzymes

They're going to take more blood tomorrow to check for infection such as hepatitis and then next Monday go back to discuss treatment of the above mention.

I'm sure that the above is attributed to the use of alcohol, and guess my question for people who've been down this path... are these things that will level out as the body heals itself from alcohol abuse?
Old 01-08-2020, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I expected my body to heal in days - I seriously underestimated the amount of years I'd been drinking and the effect that would have on me.

You will feel better in time, no doubt - but try and be patient too...as you know I had other issues as well from my detox but the first three months were challenging for me.

D
Old 01-08-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep, what Dee said. Those are three of the things most of us have damaged to some extent.

It takes staying sober, above all. I was very sick when I quit and got all my tests done then - my liver panels were all dangerously high which was the most serious problem. Around 100 days, they had normalized. I'm still amazed.

Getting the alcohol out gives us a baseline to know what's up. Then, we can take steps appropriate for our situation and heal. Our bodies can repair and be helped by drs, etc - but there are limits. It won't get better if you don't get and stay sober now. It WILL, however, get worse and harder.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In my past experience, three weeks was a turning point when my body began to stabilize. Not healed, but at a point that the healing process could begin. Granted, I also cleaned up my diet as well, and that had something to do with it.

I'm at day 17 and I think last night was the first night I didn't wake up with a soaked shirt. I also think I had some strange dreams instead of the bazaar nightmares that haunt most of us the first week or so.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notch8 View Post
I'm at day 17 and I think last night was the first night I didn't wake up with a soaked shirt. I also think I had some strange dreams instead of the bazaar nightmares that haunt most of us the first week or so.
I've sweated some in my sleep, but never drenched and somehow I've avoided the nightmares that I've heard others speak of as well. My dreams have been pretty normal, which means typically odd dreams that I wake up like "huh?" lol
Old 01-08-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm definitely focusing on my health going forward and staying away from alcohol. Day 4 today and so far it hasn't been horrible. Evenings have felt somewhat dull, but nothing like I thought it'd be. Best part is... I can tell how not drinking these past 4 days have saved money. It's actually nice not seeing my bank account shrink quick and having money to actually go out and do things!
Old 01-08-2020, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Devious0ne View Post
Best part is... I can tell how not drinking these past 4 days have saved money. It's actually nice not seeing my bank account shrink quick and having money to actually go out and do things!
Every other day I tally up what I've saved so far. I'm already over multiple day's wages! Its a good feeling!
Old 01-08-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Everyone is different and it will probably take a length of time but one things for sure: the more time you stay sober the better the chance the body has for healing. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2020, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope this isnt considered medical advice?

But soaking in a tub with epsom salts helps purge toxins through the skin.

And it helps relaxing before bed.

Everything just takes time to level off.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 4!

The duration and intensity of your alcohol consumption will have a significant impact on how long and how your body heals.

At day 4, I was just starting to feel "human" again, but it took a few weeks for me to really somewhat "good". About 4 months into recovery, at which time I had been working out for 3 months, eating well and staying hydrated, my blood levels were all normal. I shudder to think what they were a week after I quit.

The best thing that will help support physical healing is adequate nutrition, hydration, rest, and ongoing sobriety.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not to gross anyone out, but my bowels and urinary tract were an absolute train wreck before I stopped. Even after that, it took time to eve resemble anything normal. Hint: banana smoothies are your friend. Embrace them.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

^^Went thru that too
Old 01-09-2020, 06:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would estimate it took at least a few months for my GI issues to return to somewhat normal function after I quit - we are all different. Comparing the timeline for recovery is a dangerous thing, because we are all different not only physically, but also in the degree we damaged our bodies from drinking. Also remember that many times we neglected other health issues while drinking that can compound the issue.

Be honest with your doc and give it time....there are almost always solutions to every health issue.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

I would check with a doctor before the Epsom Salt bath as this can dehydrate you, and alcoholics aren't necessarily hydrated as alcohol is a dehydrator...…

Give time time, heal well and relax and enjoy the ride of sobriety!!!
Old 01-13-2020, 11:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Not drinking - 99.8%
Diet, Exercise, Vitamins, Supplements - .2%