Notices

2 years and 3 months

Old 01-05-2020, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 years and 3 months

Hello to all!
I've not been on the forum for a long time, felt the need to check in.
Life has thrown a ridiculous amount of cr*p at me in the last couple of years - crippling anxiety, near breakdown of marriage and illness and subsequent death of my mum. I sometimes can't believe that I have stayed sober throughout this! My mum's death just over a year ago threw me and I've lost sight of a decent healthy eating plan but I think I'm getting to the point of addressing this! The main thing of course, I did not drink! Just revisiting this site for some support and a reminder of all things sober! :-)
Hope for a happy and sober 2020 to all!
Old 01-05-2020, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Welcome back and kudos to you for riding all that out without a drink. That's a lot of crap to pack into your first couple of years sober!

I'm glad you're here.

O
Old 01-05-2020, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi O! Way too much cr*p but I got through it! I'm still hitting the chocolate a bit too hard but I think that's ok for now... I know that I should exercise, that will help, but I am a lazy so-and-so!!
Any tips for an exercise-shy 40-something??!
Old 01-05-2020, 07:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Not from me, nope.

I signed up for the gym in a fit of "do it-ness" last fall. Then tacked on personal training in a subsequent flurry of "go all out-ness" shortly thereafter. I am now watching money pour out of my bank account month after month as I sit on my couch.

This is a fitness plan I do not recommend.

Maybe get a dog?
Old 01-05-2020, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss JJ but thrilled at your recovery time - congrats

D
Old 01-05-2020, 08:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

Tips : I found this book enormously helpful in putting together a workable plan. It's full of easy to understand info about proper eating and exercise. Lots of exercises for upper, middle and lower body for beginners, intermediary and advanced with various case studies. It's big format, thick. Lots of photos with detailed instructions. Using it I put together a plan that suits me with a couple of tweaks by a trainer at the gym. I've gone from a fat couch potato to very active 62yo in a few years. I don't go to the gym much now as having built up the strength and stamina I can now be very physical all day whereas before walking (waddling) to the front gate made me breathless.
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/banish-your-belly-the-ultimate-guide-for-achieving-a-lean-strong-body---now_mens-health-books_kenton-robinson/1371390/#isbn=0875965016&idiq=16801667
Old 01-05-2020, 11:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr

Condolences for your mum.
But way to go girl for the sobertime and getting through all that.

Happy 2020
🤘
Old 01-06-2020, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies and encouragement, definitely what I need right now.

O, I'm not sure our 3 cats would like a dog...?! I'm rubbish with gyms too. Plus the fact we're trying to cut back on spending... sigh.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I will take a look. I need some motivation. Sorry, I'm typing on my phone so can't mention anyone else by name apart from Dee who is still around, lovely to "see you" again. :-)
Old 01-06-2020, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome back, JJ.
just yesterday there was once again a bigshot doc guru on our national broadcaster extolling the benefits of walking.
for physical and mental health.
might be doable for exercise-shy, yes?
Old 01-06-2020, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes fini, walking is good. I do a small amount but could do more! My hobby is brass bands which involves sitting on my bum, not helpful for exercise but was one of the things that saved me from the alcohol - i took it back up to get out of the house to avoid booze temptation!
Old 01-06-2020, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done JJ.