Notices

Burning Bridges

Old 12-30-2019, 01:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Burning Bridges

An old saying goes: “Don’t burn your bridges - you might need them going back.”
Us alcoholics, unfortunately, burn a lot of our bridges. We burn them while we are drunk. Some of them, we burn so badly, we can never go back; divorces, things we have said that can never be taken back, things we have done that can never be un-done, things we have lost – and I’m not just talking material stuff. Alcohol is a great fire-starter, is it not?
Fortunately, once we have chosen the sober route, although the damage has already been done, a lot of it can be repaired. People forgive, and life goes on. And every sober day – at least for me – brings with it new hope. That I can start over, and that I can succeed.
Day 19… Sober and feeling good…
Old 12-30-2019, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done on 19 days. Yes alcoholism can burn a lot of bridges. But, for me I try to live " where there is life there is hope". As long as you continue to live a sober life there remains the hope things can get better. And it does. And it will. And sometimes you will discover you have carpenter skills and can rebuild some of those bridges
Old 12-30-2019, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sober style

There's a great song called It Ain't Easy Being Me by the brilliant country singer-songwriter Chris Knight that touches on this iconic metaphor:

There ought to be a bridge somewhere they could dedicate to me
I'd probably come to the ceremony with a can of gasoline
Walk on over to the other side
Where I'd light a match
Sit and stare through the smoke and flames and wonder how I'm gonna get back

Why do I do the things I do?
Was I born this way or am I self made fool?
I shoot the lights and I curse the dark...
Old 12-30-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yip, I know those self-destruct bridges all too well. No use dwelling on that though. I do what I can today and that will do.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As far as I know, time travel doesn’t exist yet. No use dwelling on these destroyed bridges. Congrats on day 19 and continue to reinforce those bridges that are still standing.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 19 days Rockbottom. Every day we are sober is indeed one day we can use to reconstruct some of those bridges, or find new roads to travel.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In 2020 I hope to build some new bridges. They won't take me back to the people and other things I have lost, but maybe they will take me to new people and places and other things - hopefully better things...
Old 12-30-2019, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr

Congratulations on 19 days.
Your out of the worst of withdrawl etc.
New bridges will be built and sometimes peace can be made.
Keep going and posting RB
Old 12-30-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

People forgive, and life goes on

I've been sober for years, and I've discovered something else interesting.

Not only do people forgive, they also forget. They will forget a whole bunch of stuff related to your drinking. And with each additional sober day (week, month and year) you achieve, it makes the ancient past even more ancient.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rockbottom1964 View Post
An old saying goes: “Don’t burn your bridges - you might need them going back.”
Us alcoholics, unfortunately, burn a lot of our bridges. We burn them while we are drunk. Some of them, we burn so badly, we can never go back; divorces, things we have said that can never be taken back, things we have done that can never be un-done, things we have lost – and I’m not just talking material stuff. Alcohol is a great fire-starter, is it not?
Fortunately, once we have chosen the sober route, although the damage has already been done, a lot of it can be repaired. People forgive, and life goes on. And every sober day – at least for me – brings with it new hope. That I can start over, and that I can succeed.
Day 19… Sober and feeling good…
Or as Ozzie Osborne once said, "Be nice to people on your way to the top. Because you're going to see them again... on the way to the bottom."