Notices

What's a "High Functioning Alcoholic?"

Old 01-01-2020, 10:35 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I was functional. Until I wasn't. It's such a progressive disease, virtually everyone starts as high functioning, but over a sufficiently long timeline, that goes from high functioning to functioning to semi-functioning to unemployed, living in the street to dead.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:07 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk View Post
Keep in mind functioning can go to non functioning in one night!
Good point. One DUI or diagnosis.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:56 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

^^^I don't know about y'all, but I recall that "line" that I crossed....I knew it on a gut level, and it is as undefinable yet real as the moment I was DONE - but it took me a good 12 years, maybe 13, til I got from those points in time. You can't go back once you've crossed over- it's just about whether you surrender or not.

(****did you catch that O?? )
Old 01-01-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Thanks, August. lolol

I'd call you some certain kinda name, but I'm not sure if you're feeling the love enough yet to take it as it would be intended.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:50 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
it's an illusion; most alcoholics are high functioning alcoholics. The only low functioning alcoholic is an almost dead one.

We seem to have an idea that a drunk is wearing a trench coat and who carries their bottle of booze in a brown paper sack.

Sad truth is that an alcoholic looks like you and me and the Preacher and the Rabbi and the Priest and the grocery clerk and the accountant and the tv news person and the teacher and cop and...….and.....
This is so true. I know someone close to me who is a HFA. Really sad because she is successful- good job and all. I can see it in her eyes/body the toll it has taken on her. Not to mention her children. Everybody thinks things are just fine....but I know... and nothing I can really do. I think a HFA is just an A in denial. You are so right....the alcoholic looks just like anyone else.
This is an really interesting thread Obladi.