Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Does Anyone Have Trouble Swallowing After Abusing Alcohol For A Long Time

Notices

Old 12-21-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've gotten to a point where I could only eat food if I'm drunk, or has a buzz going.

But when I'm sober, I can't swallow food without wanting to gag.

It just feels like I have food stuck in my throat all the time and I hate that feeling. The gag reflex just makes eating so uncomfortable.

I practically could feel it slowly going down my esophagus and sometime, it feels like it would stuck at the bottom of my throat.

I have purposely not want to eat in a group setting if there are no alcohol served, or if I don't have any in my system.

Lunch time at work was especially painful because I could feel my stomach growling, but I can't bring myself to eat anything.

When it comes to pills, oh my lord, It takes me a very long time to attempt to swallow one. I can't take Centrum vitamins anymore because it's just too big.

I know it isn't a condition because like I'd said, it goes away if I stopped drinking for a week.

Right now, I have relapsed back into drinking but am also going to attempt sobriety again because I look unwell since I've been drinking quite hard since coming back on the drink for three whole weeks.

I don't know what it is. My throat just seems to tighten up when I'm sober but is loose and normal when I am drunk.

Anyone ever goes through this? It is very uncomfortable.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had no experience like that but it sounds like something to check out with your Dr, if only to rule out a physical cause?

D
Old 12-21-2019, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd agree with Dee, seeing a doc might not be a bad idea at all.

Having said that, if I am reading correctly you say that the issue goes away completely after not drinking for a week? If so the solution is pretty simple, right?
Old 12-21-2019, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'd agree with Dee, seeing a doc might not be a bad idea at all.

Having said that, if I am reading correctly you say that the issue goes away completely after not drinking for a week? If so the solution is pretty simple, right?

it is and I'm working on that.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh yes. I had daily, painful and consistent versions of gagging, throwing up bile, etc. Taking very small bites was eventually the only solution and even then not 100%, and I avoided certain foods.

Our esophagus and all related throat constrictions, functions, etc are badly damaged by long term alcohol abuse. The only solution is sobriety- some people find that there is enough damage done that it doesn't complete go away, or a lingering choking kind of cough or other troublesome symptoms persist.

Def having a dr help is essential - along with everything our bodies have gone thru this is something we need professional help with- and there is hope, provided we quit drinking for good.

Hope you choose to do those things.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm taking Librium as we speak and wouldn't you know it, I am good and well on eating and swallowing. That didn't take long. Hah.

But thanks, August, for sharing.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pills became hard for me to swallow too.
Just to clarify, if you are drinking on Librium I am sure you know that's a bad idea for a number of reasons.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

i had this. felt like a lump in my throat. I also smoked so not sure if it was booze or smokes. it took about 8 months of not doing either for it to clear up. some might have said it was anxiety related too I dunno. I probably shoulda have had it checked out but i was too terrified it was cancer or something so just felt ignorance was bliss. Prolly not the best approach however.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Joybot, have you tried a calorie rich liquids? I am experiencing a similar issue. Carnations instant breakfast is a life saver. I also have been eating applesauce, bananas, and peanut butter.

My primary explained that my issue of swallowing is due to a combination of anxiety and physical trauma alcohol has done to my body. My body doesn't know how to be sober--I have to teach it by being consistent, eating regularly , et cetera.

Definitely recommend seeing your primary for medical advice.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Joy. I went through this exact thing the way you are describing it. My doctor found a cyst on thyroid. It was a "Thyral glossal duct cyst" or something close to that. I was a heavy wine drinker during this time and think it would have been worth a try to quit drinking for a while before i went to the doctor except I couldn't quit at that time. I hope this helps.
Peace Tc
Old 08-22-2021, 12:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Joybot,

I know this is an old thread but have you been to the doctor or has it gotten any better? I am experiencing the same thing. One reason I kept drinking, because it would “relax” where I could eat better and obviously didn’t think about it because of the drinking as well. I reached out to an ENT to see if I could get an appt although not sure if this is the right dr to see. Hoping it gets better as time goes on. Only 8 days sober.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jillian, I know this is an old thread too but wanted to let you know that having a dr check you out is one way to eliminate a worry. I too had the throat thing going on, which was scary for me. I got so bad with the gag thing that when I would brush my teeth -- particularly my inside teeth -- it would trigger the throw-up reflex. It stopped when I quit drinking. But definitely get a doctor check you out. Throat and esophageal cancers are sometimes a result of chronic alcohol abuse. Prayers to you for a positive outcome!