Notices

Alcohol and Cortisol

Old 11-18-2019, 03:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and Cortisol

I am on Day 7 and I am still quite anxious. I have just been reading about the relationship between alcohol withdrawal and cortisol:

Drinking and being hungover causes a spike in the stress hormone cortisol in your body, which has a long list of effects.

Although we need cortisol to respond to stress, excess levels of the hormone can lead to improper stress responses, altering our mental status, metabolism, and more. Those high irregular cortisol levels can make us less able to deal with the regular stresses of life.

For heavy drinkers, it takes seven days of abstinence for cortisol levels to stabilize.

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a7504736.html
I really hope that my anxiety starts to diminish soon!
Old 11-18-2019, 04:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Really glad to hear you're on Day 7. Well done.

I would say, start using Google to give you suggestions on what to do about your anxiety. There are hundreds of thousands of blogs and medical sites that have solutions - I know because I read a lot of them.

Keep it going on the sobriety. The best thing for relief of anxiety is continuous sober Time.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Really glad to hear you're on Day 7. Well done.

I would say, start using Google to give you suggestions on what to do about your anxiety. There are hundreds of thousands of blogs and medical sites that have solutions - I know because I read a lot of them.

Keep it going on the sobriety. The best thing for relief of anxiety is continuous sober Time.
Thanks, pal.

This is even more informative about the harmful effects alcohol has on one's nervous and immune system:

Alcohol, Cortisol, Serotonin, Testosterone, ADH and GABA

Right now it feels as though I'll never escape this. I'm almost questioning my sanity and I daren't leave the house.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
Thanks, pal.

This is even more informative about the harmful effects alcohol has on one's nervous and immune system:

Here's one on neurotransmitters:
Alcohol, Cortisol, Serotonin, Testosterone, ADH and GABA

Right now it feels as though I'll never escape this. I'm almost questioning my sanity and I daren't leave the house.
Your body will heal. It takes time. Exercise and good nutrition will take you there, not locking yourself in the house and living in fear. Do research on how nutrition supports recovery and neurotransmitter and hormonal balance.

Here's one on neurotransmitters:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5986471/

Instead of feeling you'll never escape, how about being grateful that you HAVE escaped as long as you don't pick up a drink.

Dr. Google is not your friend. Look for solutions on Google, not more to worry about.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Full disclosure, I did not read that study in detail, I am already a Believer in Food as Medicine.

I didn't mean to be abrupt with you, but what you focus on increases. If you focus on the OhNoes, it's not really that productive, right?

If you focus on giving your body and nervous system the best possible support it will go much better.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Full disclosure, I did not read that study in detail, I am already a Believer in Food as Medicine.

I didn't mean to be abrupt with you, but what you focus on increases. If you focus on the OhNoes, it's not really that productive, right?

If you focus on giving your body and nervous system the best possible support it will go much better.
Thanks for your reply. Funnily enough I have just been looking for help with nutrition, and I've been taking omega 3 capsules, magnesium and l-glutamine. I know I should try to exercise and get out and about, but I've been suffering from panic attacks and even called an ambulance a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for your replies.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know, I've been following you and replying to your posts...not in a stalker kind of way.

You're gonna be okay. Early days are rough, no two ways about it. Just don't pick up a drink and you will [slowly] start feeling better. One drink and it all starts over again. Honestly, that's my main motivation for sobriety - I never want to go back to that early time of being newly sober. Thanks for the reminder, and I'm glad you're here.

You are stronger than you give yourself credit for, you've done the hard bit already!
Old 11-18-2019, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I know, I've been following you and replying to your posts...not in a stalker kind of way.

You're gonna be okay. Early days are rough, no two ways about it. Just don't pick up a drink and you will [slowly] start feeling better. One drink and it all starts over again. Honestly, that's my main motivation for sobriety - I never want to go back to that early time of being newly sober. Thanks for the reminder, and I'm glad you're here.

You are stronger than you give yourself credit for, you've done the hard bit already!
Haha! Thanks, pal. That's reassuring to read.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

A week is great Auchie

I think everyone worries they'll never feel better - its one of the things that can drive us back to drinking.

I've been anxious all my life. I won't stand here and tell you I never get anxious nowadays - but it really is the least it's ever been.

I don't know anything about cortisol but I do know things do get better...for everyone

D
Old 11-19-2019, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am already a Believer in Food as Medicine.
Me too. Supplements don't go amiss either, vitamin B is especially important for drinkers or newly sober drinkers. B1 helps prevent a Wet Brain aka Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
A week is great Auchie

I think everyone worries they'll never feel better - its one of the things that can drive us back to drinking.

I've been anxious all my life. I won't stand here and tell you I never get anxious nowadays - but it really is the least it's ever been.

I don't know anything about cortisol but I do know things do get better...for everyone

D
Thanks Dee!

It's funny because I stopped drinking on Armistice Day, and I really hope for me that the battle with alcohol is finally over. I have started counting my sobriety from the time my body definitely would have metabolised all the alcohol (assuming one hour for one UK unit). So I will be ten days sober in just over eleven hours!

I'm feeling a lot better, and haven't taken any valium for four days either. I'm still agoraphobic, but I'm confident it will pass.

Originally Posted by harriet11 View Post
Me too. Supplements don't go amiss either, vitamin B is especially important for drinkers or newly sober drinkers. B1 helps prevent a Wet Brain aka Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome.
I'll be sure to get some good quality b vitamins, then. I understand yeast flakes are actually very good.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ten days sounds awesome, great progress keep it up.

I turned agoraphobic in check out lines, and suffered the most terror and torment from random panic attacks (not anxiety IMO) that literally won't drop me to my knees.

I slowly realized after 7 days or so (I believe) I was more in fear of having a panic attack than actually at risk for having panic attack since I was sober. Sure enough I was scared went minor food shopping but didn't have a panic attack nor the very obvious shakes when I went through the check out line.

I was happy yet almost in tears when I got into my car, I didn't suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, complete terror until my end stage. I can't believe I altered my brain chemistry with alcohol to that extent.

Again ten days is awesome keep it up, I'm confident your agoraphobia will pass!
Old 11-20-2019, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joe801 View Post
Ten days sounds awesome, great progress keep it up.

I turned agoraphobic in check out lines, and suffered the most terror and torment from random panic attacks (not anxiety IMO) that literally won't drop me to my knees.

I slowly realized after 7 days or so (I believe) I was more in fear of having a panic attack than actually at risk for having panic attack since I was sober. Sure enough I was scared went minor food shopping but didn't have a panic attack nor the very obvious shakes when I went through the check out line.

I was happy yet almost in tears when I got into my car, I didn't suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, complete terror until my end stage. I can't believe I altered my brain chemistry with alcohol to that extent.

Again ten days is awesome keep it up, I'm confident your agoraphobia will pass!
I'm certainly frightened of having a panic attack, which I worry could lead to heart failure. However, I seem to be a little less anxious with each passing day.

It is altered brain chemistry! It's a wicked, nasty drug. Glad to hear you recovered.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

It has taken all this time for me to normalize.

I am still feeling growth.

Thankfully, I felt growth from day 1. But, now over 4 years clean, I still feel stress etc. that I believe is dissappating.

I remember when I wasn't so kindled, I felt this good after only a month. If I relapse again it might take the rest of my life to normalize to where I am today.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
It has taken all this time for me to normalize.

I am still feeling growth.

Thankfully, I felt growth from day 1. But, now over 4 years clean, I still feel stress etc. that I believe is dissappating.

I remember when I wasn't so kindled, I felt this good after only a month. If I relapse again it might take the rest of my life to normalize to where I am today.

Thanks.
A terrifying prospect.

I had a moderate panic attack today (6/10). I fled hope before it subsided and now wish I'd waited it out. But at the time I was too frightened and scared it would get worse.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hate to hear that you had a panic attack today, don't let today set you back I believe you will overcome this burden.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joe801 View Post
I hate to hear that you had a panic attack today, don't let today set you back I believe you will overcome this burden.
Thank you, Joe! It's nice of you to write that. God bless you.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I had daily panic attacks. Actually, several a day for many months. But. They must have been small ones because nobody but me know I was having them.

Heart racing, palms sweaty, overwhelming desire to collapse into a ball, pull my car off the road and whimper.

Yep. That ******* is gone gone gone. Thank you baby Jesus!

Booze is poison.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2019, 07:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
I had daily panic attacks. Actually, several a day for many months. But. They must have been small ones because nobody but me know I was having them.

Heart racing, palms sweaty, overwhelming desire to collapse into a ball, pull my car off the road and whimper.

Yep. That ****** is gone gone gone. Thank you baby Jesus!

Booze is poison.

Thanks
Difficulty breathing, fear of dying or going insane? They sound pretty bad. Glad to hear you got through them. Thanks for taking the time to reply.