Notices

Have I screwed myself?

Old 10-28-2019, 12:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doggiema

Have I screwed myself?

As of today I’ve just begun weaning myself from alcohol after 6 whole months on heavy binge drinking (3 Natty Daddy’s per night- 8% 25oz each). I drank them fast to just pass out and I’ve been reading how women are so much more likely to do irreparable damage in a much shorter period of time. I should also mention that I’ve been an on and off drinker for about 2 years with the occasional binge. I decided to quit because I just don’t feel like myself anymore. I’m hungover at work every day, I feel groggy and unmotivated, and I just constantly feel fatigued but can’t sleep without the booze. What is the likelihood that I have permanently damaged my liver and I’m gonna die? I should also state that I’m completely anxious and paranoid.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe a trip to your doctor is in order? Tell her you're concerned about your drinking and whether it's affected you physically.

If it's any consolation, I'm female and been a heavy drinker for decades and the only physical problem I have is a fatty liver which should clear up within a few months, and high blood pressure. Of course, it's quite possible that I'll have health problems in the future because of my heavy drinking, but I won't die.

I feel a lot better not having had a drink in three weeks. It's lovely waking up clear headed. If I can't sleep, I just lie in bed and listen to an audiobook or a podcast.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Doggiema

none of us can answer your question because we're not doctors and more importantly we're not your Doctor

What I will say is I think everyone worries they they've pushed things too far, and that most of us find the prognosis is a lot better than we feared.

The only real way to get peace of mind is to make and appointment and get a full physical from your Doc

D
Old 10-28-2019, 01:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Doggiema

Originally Posted by Patcha View Post
Maybe a trip to your doctor is in order? Tell her you're concerned about your drinking and whether it's affected you physically.

If it's any consolation, I'm female and been a heavy drinker for decades and the only physical problem I have is a fatty liver which should clear up within a few months, and high blood pressure. Of course, it's quite possible that I'll have health problems in the future because of my heavy drinking, but I won't die.

I feel a lot better not having had a drink in three weeks. It's lovely waking up clear headed. If I can't sleep, I just lie in bed and listen to an audiobook or a podcast.
thank you, this definitely gives me a sense of comfort. I actually had surgery 2 months ago and everything came back normal other than my WBC because the surgery was for an umbilical abscess that was infected. A CT scan was also done and they didn’t mention anything. I think right now I’m just terrified to get myself looked at because I don’t know how much can go wrong in 2 months. I’m also ashamed. After a night of heavy drinking I’ve been feeling just overall shittier that I used to. It’s sickening that I’ve done this to myself and I still had one beer tonight. I feel like I just spend all day hungover and shaky. Not to mention, I should’ve never been browsing webmd for answers when I know drinking is the problem.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Doggiema

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome Doggiema

none of us can answer your question because we're not doctors and more importantly we're not your Doctor

What I will say is I think everyone worries they they've pushed things too far, and that most of us find the prognosis is a lot better than we feared.

The only real way to get peace of mind is to make and appointment and get a full physical from your Doc

D
thank you for the swift reply. I know in my heart that I need to go I think I may have just needed some reassurance from others. I’m only 20 and don’t want to die. I just want this part of my life to disappear. I feel like I don’t even talk to my husband anymore because all I do is drink.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're young - thats a great plus when it comes to damage done, and mind and bodies repairing themselves.

I haven't got a crystal ball but the likelihood is, if you stay sober, you have a great chance of no long term ill effects

D
Old 10-28-2019, 01:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Doggiema

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You're young - thats a great plus when it comes to damage done, and mind and bodies repairing themselves.

I haven't got a crystal ball but the likelihood is, if you stay sober, you have a great chance of no long term ill effects

D
thank you again. I’m so happy that I’m making the choice to quit now. And really, it’s for my dogs. There’s been days that I’ve been so hungover I couldn’t even walk them. I just opened the door to the backyard and let them do their business. They deserve so much more than that version of me.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep, quit now.

Web MD is not a reliable source for an individual specifically- generally, sure, we know liver damage etc happens. But you have to get real tests and info.

And quit.

And.....stay that way.

I can tell you that I drank longer and harder than you, and barely came back from the brink of cirrhosis at 39. Terrifying to face that reality with first blood panels.

And, being OK now, if you will, should not be taken as license to keep drinking (even tho right now you want to quit, that will likely return as an idea or option or...action). It won't get better.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Doggiema

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Yep, quit now.

Web MD is not a reliable source for an individual specifically- generally, sure, we know liver damage etc happens. But you have to get real tests and info.

And quit.

And.....stay that way.

I can tell you that I drank longer and harder than you, and barely came back from the brink of cirrhosis at 39. Terrifying to face that reality with first blood panels.

And, being OK now, if you will, should not be taken as license to keep drinking (even tho right now you want to quit, that will likely return as an idea or option or...action). It won't get better.
understood. I never want to be in this state of pure panic again. I bit the bullet and made an emergency appointment for today because I also have a swollen gland on my neck. But it’s reassuring that I looked back at my CT results from 2 months ago and my liver wasn’t even fatty. So I’m hoping that I didn’t deal any damage that can’t be reversed.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Binge drinking doesn’t necessarily = liver disease. Sure, the liver takes a beating but it takes a beating with everything, including over the counter and prescription medications, roundup used on wheat, pollutants in water that get in the fish and meat we eat, etc. your liver works hard just to keep you going. Eat well and get enough sleep and you’ve gone a long way toward healing your body.

Doctors have attributed a large part of alcoholic disease to the malnutrition that occurs in alcoholism. It’s what we don’t eat when we down a gallon of whisky that affects us in a big way. The whisky itself subtracts nutrients from the body, and then we aren’t putting the nutrients back either, it’s a double subtraction and it hits the liver hard.

Sleep is critical, and how much good sleep are we getting when drinking? The body cleans house without digestive work. The only time people aren’t digesting is while sleeping, unless the person is fasting. And during rem sleep that hibernating state allows the body to clean the organs.

Don’t sleep, don’t eat nutrition, always be in digesting mode: whether it’s food or alcohol we drink late at night? No housecleaning for the body takes place.

The binge drinking you’ve done has given you malnutrition and has screwed with your brain chemicals, causing anxiety. The anxiety gets better if you stay sober.

Stay sober, take good care of yourself, and you should be ok. Unless you have abdominal swelling, jaundice, dark urine, cognitive changes, severe liver pain, etc, then it might be a cause for concern.

You’re correct though, that you can die from alcoholic liver disease as a young person. I’m shocked at the rates of death in young people from drinking, especially in the UK and Ireland.

Just adapt to life without it: find your passion and follow It. The anxiety will lessen day by day.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

^^^What Sassy said! I was a slow learner that it was a lot more and besides the alcohol itself that was killing me.