Notices

nerves

Old 03-05-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

nerves

I'm at 16 months sober think Im a bit depressed not sure. Im not going to drink but going through the next 30 years with this roaring in my head isn't looking like fun either I have had about 2 months of absolute misery without my nerves settling down, litterly I can't focus on anything for more than a few minutes. When is it time to start thinking about going to a head doc? I have to look back at how scared I was that i wouldn't be alive in a year if I kept drinking. Thats the only thing keeping me hanging on. it could be 10 years before i have another quit If I have another one in me. I have been researching drugs that will not show up in a 5 panel drug screen its gotten so bad thats how crazy my thinking has gotten lately, not going to take anything, but my body is screaming for relief. need some advice
Old 03-05-2019, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

some of it you learn your boundaries and limits and respect them, some of it is PAWS, and some of it is acceptance liek ya know life is always gonna have some BS thats gonna drive you nuts. Then theres tricks mindfulness, excercise, good diet etc... but you do hit a point where maybe you talk to a doctor rule out any other conditions and so on.

I wish i had a magical solution but almost 8 years sober here and just a few days ago I had a panic attack etc... becuase i didnt respect my boundaries and limits etc..

that being said overall its way btter and it does improve.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I saw a doctor. A psychiatrist and my gp. Sixteen months is a long time to be suffering from alcohol withdrawal. Seems like to me anyway.
I was put on medication and it's working great. I feel like I never want to drink again. And have felt that way since getting help. I also got counseling and that helps immensely.
Been sober ten years. And I still take the medication. Why? because without it I have little power over alcohol.
Best to you, my friend. And congratulation on sixteen months.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have had some really good months with being sober acomplished a lot and was really enjoying it. Just the just last few months have been rough. Could be I hit a year and then its now what. I never get that unwinding mental relief, probably why I took to the bottle so heavily when I first started drinking. I was 26 when I had my first drink of hard alcohol and then it was off to the races. The nearest aa is a 40 minute round trip so I haven't done that yet, probably should, always have an excuse for not going.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cruiser1911 View Post
I have had some really good months with being sober acomplished a lot and was really enjoying it. Just the just last few months have been rough. Could be I hit a year and then its now what. I never get that unwinding mental relief, probably why I took to the bottle so heavily when I first started drinking. I was 26 when I had my first drink of hard alcohol and then it was off to the races. The nearest aa is a 40 minute round trip so I haven't done that yet, probably should, always have an excuse for not going.
Have you tried heavy workouts? They help me. Lately because of my grief, I have experimented with fasting, which gave me a surprising mental cleansing effect, as well as a bit of euphoria.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have joined a gym a couple of weeks ago and have been getting down there 3 times a week I have to be careful though or I mess up my back and hurt for days . I need to start fasting again but I never felt energetic while doing it did a few 48 hour fasts and lots of 23 hour fasts . right now I would do almost anything for a bit euphoria in the early part of getting sober it was a roller coaster but I knew in a week or 2 at most I would feel better now it feels like a slog up a hill in a snow storm.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

when is it time to see a doc?
now sounds good!
16 months is quite a while without booze, and if you feel your head is not your friend at all, then yeah, i’d start with my gp and go from there.
40 minute round trip doesn’t seem insurmountable....what is really stopping you? and whatever it is, if you go and check it out it might turn out to be not what you imagined at all.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Fini. Now sounds a good time.
Recovery's not meant to be suffered cruiser

D
Old 03-05-2019, 10:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was diagnosed depressive by my shrink and put on meds to help. It keeps the depression manageable.

I'd recommend seeing your doctor. Recovery shouldn't be a burden, it should be a source of joy.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

it took me several months but I finally couldn't take it anymore and went to a doc
he put me on a couple of meds one of them was a sleeping aid, melatonin wasn't working anymore was having horrible sleep patterns. the other is a anti anxiety drug Im feeling better but it could be the placebo affect.
also Im coming up rapidly on 2 years and love being sober everything about my life is great, besides my head never being quiet lol. but I think the medicine is starting to work.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you for going for medical help. Keep going back if you have to. Sometimes a variety of drugs need to be tried before the right combo is found. Well done on hanging in there with the no drinking.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on nearly 2 years cruiser - glad things are getting a little better for you

D