Notices

The right place?

Old 02-25-2019, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The right place?

Hi everyone. Wondering if I'm in the right place. I drink too much, no question, but I haven't hit 'rock bottom' or anything like that. I don't drink in the morning, and I don't drink at work. Just checking - is this the right place for me? I don't want to throw anyone off their recovery rhythm or anything.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Bandersnatch. You are most definitely in the right place if you are looking for support and fellowship in your quest for sobriety.

For many years I didn't drink in the morning nor at work. It took awhile but I eventually got to the point where my drinking was around the clock, interrupted only when I was passed out. It is much better to quit before it gets to that point.

I wish you much luck on your journey.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
Hi everyone. Wondering if I'm in the right place. I drink too much, no question, but I haven't hit 'rock bottom' or anything like that. I don't drink in the morning, and I don't drink at work. Just checking - is this the right place for me? I don't want to throw anyone off their recovery rhythm or anything.
No points are deducted from your total score if you accidentally start a thread in the wrong section. Well, not the first time, anyway. And the mods can move stuff around if they get bothered.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful

You're in the right place Bandersnatch. It sounds like you are at the crossroads, and while you aren't drinking in the morning or at work could you see yourself doing so if your drinking kept progressing? I quit drinking for several years back in the 90's and I wasn't drinking in the morning or at work, but alcohol was causing me some problems. I was missing too much work from hangovers and my relationship with my girlfriend was getting rocky. I ended up going back to drinking and at the end I was drinking around the clock and had no job (or girlfriend).

I'd suggest you try going without drinking for a few months, hang around here and see what happens. If you find it difficult or impossible to do then I think you'll have your answer for sure on whether or not you are in the right place.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Welcome, Bandersnatch.

I couldn't picture myself drinking at work or in the morning... until I did. The slope is more than slipper; , it's graded so well that you hardly notice you're headed down until you're there. I think you're noticing, though, and that's a good thing.

You are in the right place. Post away!

O
Old 02-25-2019, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bandersnatch

There's a lot of people here..some are alcoholics, some are other kinds of addicts...some are family and friends of alcoholic or addicts looking for support...some of us drank all day, some of us drank once a week...some of us ended up in jail or under a bridge others never had a record or lost a job...

If you want to stop drinking, this is the right place for you - welcome

D
Old 02-25-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

if you’re concerned about your drinking, its consequences or associated miseries, and want to quit, you are in the right place.
and about your worry re throwing others off their recovery rhythm....we are responsible for our own. no matter what.
you can be, too.
if you want.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Bandersnatch, I joined when I was in a similar position to you. I didn't drink in the morning, or want to, and certainly not at work. I did drink every night after work, a bottle of wine a night. It was way too much, but I couldn't stop no matter how much I tried to discipline myself. Lot's of attempts to drink less, or stop for a while.

It only worked for me when I gave up completely. I miss drinking, but I would never go back to how I was. It was bad for my health and morale. Nearly 7 years now; imagine how I'd be if I'd kept it up?
Old 02-26-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you are here!

And I'd put the word yet at the end of the examples you gave, bc many of us didn't drink in the morning - yet...until we did. we didn't drink and drive - yet. ...until we did. And so on - if we have a drinking problem and keep drinking, it never gets better. That's what we each discover along our path of figuring out where we are on the spectrum of this progressive disease of addiction.

For me, the concept of "rock bottom" is misleading - bc the only real rock bottom is death. Anything else, a good alcoholic like me could and did keep passing as I found yet another version of hell.

There's lots of info here about what alcoholism, problem drinking, etc is and ISN'T and I hope you learn and ask questions and make good decisions for you - most of us found that once we started wondering if our drinking was ok or too much - we had a problem.