Notices

Why Alcohol is also called spirits

Old 02-05-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why Alcohol is also called spirits

"Feeling Negative Energy of Spirits
Negative or lower energies can feel like depression, anxiety or other mood disorders and mental illnesses, including suicidality and addiction. As such, these energies negatively alter mood and behavior quite rapidly and feed off any resulting fears or increased negativity. Eventually, they destroy our ability to stay connected to ourselves and loved ones and our pursuit of achieving our dreams. For instance, intoxicated individuals often experience a rapid shift in behavior. People who aren’t usually reckless with their own safety or that of others become so under the influence of alcohol. This is one reason alcoholism (and addiction of any kind) was at one time seen as demonic possession.
Though it isn’t true that someone struggling with alcoholism is actually in need of an exorcism, the notion that alcoholism comes with a host of dark attachments is not a far fetched one. After all, they don’t call alcohol spirits for nothing."

This article was in the SR news letter I get. It really hit home with me on looking back to when I was drinking and also a friend is going thru this right now.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My understanding is that hard liquor is referred to as "spirits" because of the essence of whichever fruit, vegetable, or plant the liquor is made of.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeThinkNot View Post
My understanding is that hard liquor is referred to as "spirits" because of the essence of whichever fruit, vegetable, or plant the liquor is made of.
I always heard it's called spirits because when drunk you act possessed or you open yourself up for possession of evil or mischievous spirits.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good point, Ladybug. I've had enough experience to realize that alcohol really alters my brain chemistry. It's to the point where it truly alters my thoughts, even in the most subtle of ways.

It makes me wonder just how much drinking affected me (all of us) even when I was a normal "3 beers on the weekend" sort of guy.