Notices

I wanna Get Drunk!

Old 12-14-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
zjw

As crappy as it is if you drink you will have that problem to contend with too isn’t just the deer thing bad enough why add to it.

That being said I get it crap happens and for some stupid reason by default we just wanna go drink it away. It sucks but it won’t fix anything.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
zjw

I’d also be more worried if ya didn’t care.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter what the issue is- divorce, death, hunting, nuclear war. Drinking NEVER makes it better. What happened has happened. A drink won't change it now.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I’m sorry. I don’t know about deer in the west; where I live, but in the northeastern US the numbers are seriously threatening biodiversity, so much that recreational hunting barely makes a dent in the problem.
While I was tracking the doe I jumped six more. I've sat and watched 10 out in the field where I hunt. I got deer tracks all the way up to my yard. I hear there are 30x the deer in North America that we had a century ago. I just want to do it right.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
zjw

there is quite a few more deer in my area these days as well in the northeast. I couldnt be happier we used to have the same heard of like 4-8 wonder around it was pathetic now i see its almost 30 in the heard.

I dont really see hunting as a need to knock down those pests deer getting into gardens. I kinda think we are the pests. we built up these concrete jungles on there habitats they where just going about there business and we came along.

I'm a vegan so I suppose it plays a little role in my view but before going vegan i went hunting and slaughtered my fair share of chickens and such for the family table. That being said another gripe i have iwth hunting is the folks that go out there and dont exactly need that meat for the family table but more or less enjoy the sport of it or the trophy. From my view killing anything isnt really a "sport" and shouldnt be given a "trophy" for it. I think if you choose to kill and eat some animaly you have to treat this animal with the up most respect as its giving up his life so you can have yours etc..

just my 2 cents and yeah i know off topic. i couldnt resist tho.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hunting is certainly a topic that has strong opinions on both sides of the fence, but let's not make this into a debate about that issue please. We are all here to help support each other as it pertains to our alcohol and addiction issues. Certainly outside factors are at play and can be discussed, but there are other more appropriate places to argue the theory/merits of those topics.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Laqbrador66 View Post
While I was tracking the doe I jumped six more. I've sat and watched 10 out in the field where I hunt. I got deer tracks all the way up to my yard. I hear there are 30x the deer in North America that we had a century ago. I just want to do it right.
I've noticed a recent upsurge in back yard deer in Montana in my visits there in recent years. I've asked a couple of people why that might be, and heard various opinions, but never talked to a game biologist.

I don't know how you can compare deer now to a century ago, and I question how reliable estimates were in 1918. 30X seems high. I'd take that with a grain of salt. I don't even know anyone who was alive in 1918 to ask what they think.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Hunting is certainly a topic that has strong opinions on both sides of the fence, but let's not make this into a debate about that issue please. We are all here to help support each other as it pertains to our alcohol and addiction issues. Certainly outside factors are at play and can be discussed, but there are other more appropriate places to argue the theory/merits of those topics.
Sorry Scott,
I was responding to Labrador, before I read your post. I'll stop now.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Sorry Scott,
I was responding to Labrador, before I read your post. I'll stop now.
It's not a problem Dri, and I'm not singling out anyone with my response - just a general reminder to all to keep the focus on getting better ( all of us ). Any posts that would have violated forum rules would have been removed and the members contacted and that was not the case at all - we are all good.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I just got back from a hunt. Big doe standing in the edge of the field 185 yards. Didn't feel confident in the shot I let her walk. I'm glad I didn't drink over this
Old 12-22-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you didn't drink either

D
Old 12-23-2018, 03:35 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

When we finally sober up, we realize that life still happens. Except now, we can't run and hide from it. That's why it's important to have strong recovery tools at our disposal. I find that talking to someone always helps me. We're all in this thing together. None of us have to suffer alone anymore.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you didn't drink today Lab. Being sober will help you regain confidence in all areas of your life and allow you to make better decisions, looks like that's already happening!
Old 12-23-2018, 03:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

You sound like a hunter with a conscience Laqbrador. That is a good thing. My former brother-in-law(he past away) loved to hunt. He used to take the elk and deer he brought down to the processors and then bring them to our house when ready. Man I miss those days. I never wasted one pack he brought over and consumed every one. he was a good man. Those were fond memories.