Notices

Help having thoughts cravings

Old 06-29-2018, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Help having thoughts cravings

Help it’s on me again. I don’t want this constant battle in my head with the av just reaching out trying to take action I want sobriety emotional sobriety peace and joy go away av leave me alone. Praying n reaching out step one I’m powerless here now
Old 06-29-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The thought will pass.

Sit on your hands.

Do something. Clean out a drawer. Call a non-drinking friend. Take a walk. Do 50 jumping jacks. Eat something.

It's just a thought. I know you'd like to never have this happen - but it will. It's not the thought of a drink, but how I handle it. I usually say, "Hm. A drinking thought. I don't drink, no matter what."

Then I go do something else. It has no power. I hold the power and I choose to use my power for good.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Thanks bimbi it’s just redicilous after all I know how I feel after. Just crazy this is. Will eat then hover then o just fed up of this it’s hard
Old 06-29-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eve123 View Post
Help it’s on me again. I don’t want this constant battle in my head with the av just reaching out trying to take action I want sobriety emotional sobriety peace and joy go away av leave me alone. Praying n reaching out step one I’m powerless here now
don't allow a battle. Tell it no, that you hate drinking, you hate the high because it removes you from life, you hate being stuck, you hate the way it abuses you. You're done.

If you don't battle with the addiction it loses strength. Once it has you engaged in battle it tends to win.

Step quietly away. do something else. don't engage.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, it's hard eve..but it's very important to remember that "cravings" are just thoughts inside your head. You have 100% control over your reaction to those thoughts, and choosing to not drink is always an option.

These feelings will get less intense and farther between as time goes on. Coming here to talk through it is a very good choice and i'd recommend you keep doing it. Also checking the "HALT" status ( Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired ) and satisfying those needs by eating, calming down, talking to someone and/or resting can help soothe those thoughts as well.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You are only days sober...so it's going to be tough dealing with the constant thoughts of drinking. But everybody who is sober now has been right where you are this moment, fighting the cravings, and have gotten through it.

So can you.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by eve123 View Post
You can do it eve, keep yourself busy. I have had alot of craving the last few weeks. I find speaking about it helps and reaching out for support as your are. People are here to help us we don't have to face it alone. Yes its tough but going back is even tougher. When I feel the cravings coming on I like to take a long walk in nature, read a book, do my garden and feel connected to nature. Also aa if you haven't already tried. We can do it stay strong.
Lpg
Old 06-29-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was in rehab, one of the addiction counselors told me the average "craving" lasts between 15-30 minutes.

That's the knee jerk reaction of the brain processing that it still wants what it can't have.

I PROMISE that goes away. It does take awhile, but it WILL.

There are months and months at a time when I don't even think about what it was like when I was drinking. Except what I chose to share about here or with my therapist or at AA.

Hang in there long enough and all it becomes is like a nightmare you had years ago that you remember bits and pieces of. You know it happened, but it doesn't hold any power over you anymore.

Just hang in there.

I have this saying painted on the wall of my studio from the TV show "the walking dead that says "Just Survive Somehow. "

In a lot of ways, early recovery is just that.

It will get better. Down right amazing if you hang in there.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Just survive somehow.". Love it, still pertinent to me lately.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Eve,
Hope you are doing better today. Wishing you all the best!
Old 07-01-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you today Eve?

D
Old 07-01-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow. What great advice from all of you!!

I’ll be five weeks tomorrow. I agree with everyone here—don’t let there be a battle.

You don’t drink anymore.

Simple, but VERY difficult at first. You really have to want it .

You do really want it.....kill the beast, not yourself.

Here is an example of basic patterns that lead to a wonderful 90% statistical long term/ permanent abstinence from alcohol/other addictions :

Hope this helps

Free