Notices

Self reflection for positivity

Old 06-13-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self reflection for positivity

So, I helped paint a house today for a non-profit. Sobriety has opened the gates me for me to volunteer and help others. I have always had a passion for it, considering I currently work in a career that serves my community.

I just had a reflection while painting today. Would I be doing this when I wasn’t sober? It was my day off from work, and day long binges were always in store. The short answer is no.

Today was a day that I look back and give thanks. God has given me the power and strength to overcome my demons. In turn, I’m able to go out there and help those in need.

The weather was beautiful, I felt good, and I spilled a half a gallon of paint on myself. Someone took a picture, and all I could see was a huge white smile on my face. That smile was non existent in the many years of alcoholism.

It’s great day to be alive.

I hope everyone is doing well! Get out there and enjoy the summer weather.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Service work is a big part of my life. Way to go TheSoberDude
Old 06-16-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is great, SoberDude! Sobriety did the same for me!

I took a full year to focus on recovery and then realised my life was extremely self-centred. In fact, I did a full recalibration of my life and work after Year 1 of sobriety.

I have incorporated service work into my job, and now focus on projects that ultimately do good for humanity and the planet both in my professional and personal life.

For a long time after getting sober, I had a feeling that cleaning up my act was the first main obligation I had to discharge in this lifetime, and that if I managed it, I was ready to sign up to more.

We are the first generation to know our choices have lasting and global consequences. That's a responsibility. So what are we going to do about it?

Me personally .... now that I am clean from the booze, I'm reporting for duty and joining the team to save the world. Sounds grandiose but I say to people, there's a lot to do, so just start where you are. Start with your skills, your knowledge, your capability. Then stop being part of the problem and become part of the solution.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the uplifting post!
Old 06-19-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Very uplifting and encouraging post SoberDude. You are a true inspiration with your actions.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this! Love the image of the paint drenched, smiling, sober, caring and giving version of yourself. We can all aspire to that!
Old 06-20-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sober style

Love that positivity, SoberDude!