Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Just bought my last pint....I enter detox this evening

Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well as a few of you have read and commented on my post about "medical detox". This evening I will be entering a medical detox for alcoholism and I will follow up with a faith based inpatient rehab here in Kentucky.

I have spent the the last month since my ER visit getting everything sorted and in order so that I could leave for treatment. I have paid my bills ahead,moved my apartment to storage and also attended some memorable family gatherings (graduations,birthdays and a funeral).

So today is the day!! This evening I will be signing myself into the medical detox and starting my journey into sobriety. I am scared and nervous!! I haven't been 24hrs sober in 3yrs and 7days sober in at least 10yrs.....holy ****? Where has my life been? How have I survived? Well by the grace of God I have another chance.

This attempt is all on my own and my own decision to quit!! No one is giving me a ultimatum.....I've given myself a ultimatum. Keep drinking and die or stop drinking and have a new lease on life.

I chose sobriety!!

This forum has really helped me throughout this last month. I hope to have many more months with you guys!!

As I drink what "hopefully" is my last ever pint of liquor all I can think about is the pain that it's caused myself and everyone around me. I'm going to miss the numbness or the disease. I however am not going to miss the countless years,months and days that I've given up due to the disease.

Chris
Old 06-08-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

scared and nervous- i think i can relate to that maybe. for me it was fear of the unknown- what life without alcohol would be like.
one thing that helped give me the courage to work on recovery is the fear of the known- what life WITH alcohol still in it would be like.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear it csilvers - it is a big step but you won't regret it. Go in with an open mind and get as much info as you can about where to find help when you get out.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Best of luck csilvers.... you're prepared, you're determined and focused...you can do this!

Old 06-08-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Very proud of you! You haven't wavered an inch since you first posted about seeking inpatient detox. Sounds like your mind is made up and that's a good thing!

Like I said before...throw yourself into it. Soak it all up like a sponge. This is a wonderful gift you are giving yourself. Good luck and know that we are all cheering for you!
Old 06-08-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post

scared and nervous- i think i can relate to that maybe. for me it was fear of the unknown- what life without alcohol would be like.
one thing that helped give me the courage to work on recovery is the fear of the known- what life WITH alcohol still in it would be like.
The fear of a life without alcohol is hits close to home also. I don't know how to live without alcohol. It's been apart of my life for many years. So yea the unknown scares the **** out of me too. And the known life with alcohol scares the **** out of me even more.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rootin' tootin' for you.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

csilvers....Congratulations! Fear not my friend, embrace the moment. You are giving yourself the chance for something better. How awesome that you have managed to arrive at this moment rationally and thoughtfully. Few people I know enter detox in this organized fashion and find all sorts of excuses to leave the program they need. You have tied up all the loose ends you need, and now you go discover the amazing parts of life you have been missing. Good luck and relax. One day at a time is really important now. There is nothing to fear in one sober day at a time. If that is too much, then focus on one sober moment at a time.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of the support!! Just left Walmart with my new extended stay essentials. I'm counting down the hours and stressing out! Hoping I can sleep tonight....
Old 06-08-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by csilvers1984 View Post
As I drink what "hopefully" is my last ever pint of liquor
Don't hope, make it be. You've got this!
Old 06-08-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

We’re all behind you csilvers! You’ve got this and look forward to hearing from you again soon xx
Old 06-08-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Loomk g forward to hearing all about it.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there buddy,and give it hell!!
Let us now how your doing and just don't drink.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Great decision csilvers! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for ya
Old 06-08-2018, 08:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ok here we go!! Walking into the building as we speak!! I've waited as long as I could lol. I poured out the last 1/4 pint and I'm on my way!! Update in 5-7days if God wills it!!

Chris
Old 06-08-2018, 08:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

best of luck

D
Old 06-08-2018, 11:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sending prayers your way! I'm so happy for you, as others have mentioned go in with an open mind. Kudos to you for wanting to do this, wanting and seeking help tells me you're serious and want to make changes to your life! I found out life was so much easier living a sober. nice work!! Wishing you the best!!
Old 06-09-2018, 05:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Give us an update when you can.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This is great, great news.

We're sure glad to know that you have chosen to live a rewarding life as opposed to dying drunk.

The choices are that stark.

Please keep us posted.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thinking of you!