Notices

I'm getting fat in sobriety.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cosima11 View Post

Don't lose hope, it will take time but I think you really can get have it all back.. sassyness included lol
I hope I can find her! Sassy is buried under a bunch of candy wrappers, ice cream buckets and pizza boxes! Sassy, are you under there? It's clean up time.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I found that cutting back on the portions helps to lose a bit of weight.

I also cut out all breads and only eat 100 grams when I have spaghetti. Also I eat very few fried foods

I still have a snack once or twice a day but again not too large.

Losing weight I find difficult as my metabolism has slowed down. I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted until around the age of 50. (Now 60.)
Old 05-20-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yep. I used to fast and do paleo or keto, but in sobriety i have found the only things that work are 1. Balanced meals with no trigger foods (wheat and flour) 2. Four meals a day 3. measured portions and 4. At least four hours between meals and no more than 5.

This takes planning but it keeps you right at that point between full and hungry all the time.

It's when i think I can have a taste of something that I get in trouble.

One bite of ice cream sent me off on food binges for ten days this last time.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Do you realize the percentages of sobriety?

Put that critical thinking away and just take a step back. Look at what you've done already.

Birds fly, fish swim and alcoholics drink.

See?

Try not to over complicate this. If you feel the need to do better, do a little better every day.

I've gained and lost hundreds of pounds in my life time. I've been 165 pounds and severely underweight, I've been built like a WWE wrestler...I've also been built like I ate a WWE wrestler.

I know one thing is for sure. The more I thought about it and the semantics of it the more I felt bad and the more I drove myself crazy. This is a lot like getting sober. If you don't drink you won't get drunk. If you eat healthier then you'll feel better.

Maybe hit an Over eaters Anonymous group.

You're taking on A LOT in your first year. Take it easy Sassy. I'm not saying what is happening is OK but please don't be so hard on yourself.

I see you posting a lot about being frustrated and drained about things going on around you. This is what therapy is made for. You've also mentioned that therapy might be difficult to obtain. I feel like you need some sort of support group you can talk to and create some bonds with . AA, perhaps overeaters anonymous? I feel like maybe you're in need of some actual human contact that's recovery related.

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post

Put that critical thinking away and just take a step back. Look at what you've done already.

See?

Try not to over complicate this. If you feel the need to do better, do a little better every day.

I've gained and lost hundreds of pounds in my life time. I've been 165 pounds and severely underweight, I've been built like a WWE wrestler...I've also been built like I ate a WWE wrestler.

I know one thing is for sure. The more I thought about it and the semantics of it the more I felt bad and the more I drove myself crazy. This is a lot like getting sober. If you don't drink you won't get drunk. If you eat healthier then you'll feel better.

You're taking on A LOT in your first year. Take it easy Sassy. I'm not saying what is happening is OK but please don't be so hard on yourself.

I see you posting a lot about being frustrated and drained about things going on around you. This is what therapy is made for. You've also mentioned that therapy might be difficult to obtain. I feel like you need some sort of support group you can talk to and create some bonds with . AA, perhaps overeaters anonymous? I feel like maybe you're in need of some actual human contact that's recovery related.

.....but I'm getting therapy here and I don't have to change out of my pajamas!

So I'm posting too much... I'll be ok.

I've got one kid going from sixth grade to middle school, one transferring to a UC and one graduating from a UC all at once, working four days a week, and going to attempt cross fit again today. did I mention despite working all weekend the sink is full of dishes? Someone had three gigs over the weekend and was out of the house, and all three kids living here decided not to do them.

If i can manage to pack myself and the 12 year old a healthy lunch I have become a superstar...

Maybe I always want ice cream because there's no room for entertainment in my life...someday they will all be out of this house and I will wonder where the time went.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
.....but I'm getting therapy here and I don't have to change out of my pajamas!

So I'm posting too much... I'll be ok.
you can never post too much.

It just seemed like you may have been feeling like you were lacking some human interaction that did Sassy some good.

Believe me, i avoid most people at all costs. But eventually even I need to have some fun. Maybe take some time for that then.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

you can never post too much.

It just seemed like you may have been feeling like you were lacking some human interaction that did Sassy some good.

Believe me, i avoid most people at all costs. But eventually even I need to have some fun. Maybe take some time for that then.
You got me thinking more about going to OA this morning. I'm beginning to think I would feel supported there as this is pretty much the content for that group.

As for fun, that's kind of a sticking point. Husband tried to get me to attend one of his gigs this weekend and I couldn't go anyway because I was seeing patients but I wonder if I would have gone otherwise. I don't like leaving my 12 year old alone and I don't drink, and I'm not into live music so there's not much motivation, but maybe I'm supposed to be getting out more.

Another invite was my reunion. Also at a bar. That one's in august.

Bars bars bars. This is why I generally choose to stay in. My best friends from high school want me to attend that reunion so I did give them a maybe.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

See?

I've been reading this over and over because there's a lot of wisdom in this post, even apart from the recommendation of therapy.

Taking a step back and letting it just hit me that I have quit drinking and racked up the better part of a year is helpful.

the rumination and striving and worry may just be a part of my personality, this kind of thinking is not unfamiliar.

the eating disorder has been there since day one, I think dealing with the full force of that in sobriety has been so difficult that I appreciate an anonymous place to put my thoughts down, even if I know I should find an hour to go get more help...somewhere in my day, maybe even just once a week.

Thanks for that!
Old 05-22-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm not sure if you would be interested, but Caroline Knapp, who wrote "Drinking: A Love Story" was first and foremost a food addict. She wrote an amazing book called "Appetites: Why Women Want".

I added the Geneen Roth book to our Book List.
This is one of my favorite books of all time.

I forgot about her food issues.

She was taken way too soon.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yes she was. She smoked nearly all the time and died young of lung cancer.
Not sure if the cigarettes caused it though, when people die of cancer in their 30's it isn't usually an environmental cause, her mother died young also, I'm guessing it was genetic.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I was shocked by how much more I ate. Not only that but I developed a sweet tooth I never knew I had. Ben & Jerry have become new friends as of late.

As a result I weigh just as much, if not a pound or two more than when I was drinking.

I feel your frustration. I'm left wondering if the implicit message is "just make sure to never have any fun again or else you're screwed".

Thanks, life! Happy to get to know you :\
Old 05-23-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
I was shocked by how much more I ate. Not only that but I developed a sweet tooth I never knew I had. Ben & Jerry have become new friends as of late.

As a result I weigh just as much, if not a pound or two more than when I was drinking.

I feel your frustration. I'm left wondering if the implicit message is "just make sure to never have any fun again or else you're screwed".

Thanks, life! Happy to get to know you :\
Haha! That exactly.
don't drink! don't eat fun things! Don't go out!

It's definitely a different paradigm. How to look at "fun," what is fun? Honestly lately at my age and my situation as a sober alcoholic it's the better I care for myself because it seems to be what makes fun possible.

Cross fit is actually fun again this week, after nearly an entire week of good nutrition without sugar and processed carbs.

slowly and painfully figuring out the pitfalls.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Haha! ... It's definitely a different paradigm. How to look at "fun," what is fun?.
Sassy, so sorry to see your ongoing struggle! First off, like others have already said, you’ve knocked it out of the ballpark, you’ve been off the booze for what now, 8 months?

Shake it up, do something outrageous: You’ve said that you’re a Central Valley girl from California, so Yosemite is at your doorstep. Why not take up climbing? It’s a wonderful sport for the whole family! Get into it and set a goal to climb Royal Arches - I can tell you, when you’re dangling on a rope, looking down at the Ahwahnee 30 stories below you, the last thing on your mind will be how much chocolate you ate the day before, lol!
Or, if that seems too ambitious, why not take the family white water rafting? The season to do it is around the corner - go do it and then tell me you’re not having ‘fun’. Rooting for ya to get out of your funk!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mac4711 View Post
Sassy, so sorry to see your ongoing struggle! First off, like others have already said, you’ve knocked it out of the ballpark, you’ve been off the booze for what now, 8 months?

Shake it up, do something outrageous: You’ve said that you’re a Central Valley girl from California, so Yosemite is at your doorstep. Why not take up climbing? It’s a wonderful sport for the whole family! Get into it and set a goal to climb Royal Arches - I can tell you, when you’re dangling on a rope, looking down at the Ahwahnee 30 stories below you, the last thing on your mind will be how much chocolate you ate the day before, lol!
Or, if that seems too ambitious, why not take the family white water rafting? The season to do it is around the corner - go do it and then tell me you’re not having ‘fun’. Rooting for ya to get out of your funk!
How funny you mention that, my gym is actually a climbing gym with a Cross fit box in the back, 12 and I were bored this evening so we just got back from climbing walls! I can't imagine actual climbing though, the thought terrifies me but it's been ages since I went to yosemite. and i love hiking.

Thanks for the pat on the back about my sobriety, though! Made me smile for a moment.