Notices

Drink as medicine? The AV is sneaky!

Old 05-09-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drink as medicine? The AV is sneaky!

I’m posting this primarily as a reminder to myself and to others around my stage of sobriety (just over 100 days) that you have to stay on your guard with sobriety in the early days. I’ve been feeling pretty ropey since Sunday in one way and another and the thought has popped into my head more than once that a drink would make me feel better, almost as if it were a medicine. (White wine, the wonder drug.) I know full well that it won’t and I’m taking extra care to eat properly, exercise and sleep until I start to feel a bit brighter, but still: it’s been a worthwhile reminder to me that I’m by no means out of the woods yet. Sobriety takes work, I’m learning fast, and the penny has dropped that it’s about an awful lot more than just the act of not drinking.

Happy Wednesday all.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post. Yes, living sober takes a lot of work and support.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good reminder wynwrighs, the AV is a sneaky one. Writing it down/getting it out there can be very helpful as well, and sounds like you have some good plans in place with your sleep/exercise/diet too.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ha, I hear you.

Beast was literally telling me "How sad, your wife won't be able to order you Negronis the next special trip you guys take together". As if my wife would prefer over-paying for booze to make our trip "special" rather than have me not lie, drink, ruin her trust and be a general drunk POS.

Screw off, Beast.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcoholic beverages are classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as a Group 1 carcinogen (carcinogenic to humans). IARC classifies alcoholic beverage consumption as a cause of female breast, colorectum, larynx, liver, esophagus, oral cavity, and pharynx cancers; and as a probable cause of pancreatic cancer.[2] Wikepedia

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (Centre International de Recherche sur le Cancer) of the World Health Organization has classified alcohol as a Group 1 carcinogen, similar to arsenic, benzene and asbestos. Its evaluation states, "There is sufficient evidence for the carcinogenicity of alcoholic beverages in humans. …Alcoholic beverages at any quantity are carcinogenic to humans (Group 1)."[7] Wikepedia

Acetaldehyde is produced by the liver as it breaks down ethanol. The liver then normally eliminates 99% of the acetaldehyde. An average liver can process 7 grams of ethanol per hour. For example, it takes 12 hours to eliminate the ethanol in a bottle of wine, giving 12 hours or more of acetaldehyde exposure. A study of 818 heavy drinkers found that those who are exposed to more acetaldehyde than normal through a defect in the gene for alcohol dehydrogenase are at greater risk of developing cancers of the upper gastrointestinal tract and liver.[8] There are many associations between alcohol drinking and different types of cancer. Data from 2009 indicated 3.5 percent of cancer deaths in the U.S. were due to consumption of alcohol.[9]
Wikededia

So, a good reminder that our AV's are morons
Old 05-09-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it’s been a worthwhile reminder to me that I’m by no means out of the woods yet.
I'm sober 26 years and don't consider myself out of the woods yet. It's a "cunning, baffling and powerful" disease characterized by denial and rationalization. I keep going to meetings because while I know I have another drunk in me I don't think I have another recovery.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Alcoholic beverages are classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as a Group 1 carcinogen (carcinogenic to humans). IARC classifies alcoholic beverage consumption as a cause of female breast, colorectum, larynx, liver, esophagus, oral cavity, and pharynx cancers; and as a probable cause of pancreatic cancer.[2] Wikepedia

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (Centre International de Recherche sur le Cancer) of the World Health Organization has classified alcohol as a Group 1 carcinogen, similar to arsenic, benzene and asbestos. Its evaluation states, "There is sufficient evidence for the carcinogenicity of alcoholic beverages in humans. …Alcoholic beverages at any quantity are carcinogenic to humans (Group 1)."[7] Wikepedia

Acetaldehyde is produced by the liver as it breaks down ethanol. The liver then normally eliminates 99% of the acetaldehyde. An average liver can process 7 grams of ethanol per hour. For example, it takes 12 hours to eliminate the ethanol in a bottle of wine, giving 12 hours or more of acetaldehyde exposure. A study of 818 heavy drinkers found that those who are exposed to more acetaldehyde than normal through a defect in the gene for alcohol dehydrogenase are at greater risk of developing cancers of the upper gastrointestinal tract and liver.[8] There are many associations between alcohol drinking and different types of cancer. Data from 2009 indicated 3.5 percent of cancer deaths in the U.S. were due to consumption of alcohol.[9]
Wikededia

So, a good reminder that our AV's are morons
I remember at school they passed around a pice of a smokers lung to scare us out of smoking. A while later I became a smoker. The future was too far away to have any deterent effect.

The alcoholic mind plays the same tricks. That’s never going to happen to me, I’m different (read deluded). I have been around aa long enough to lose quite a few friends, dying sober. I can only think or one or two that were not cancer related.

I am grateful to have been able to stop at a young age. Never the less I have regular check ups just in case.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to think hot toddies was a great idea when I was ill.

I don't even know exactly what a hot toddy is, so I'd buy my usual beer.
Crazy.

I'm glad you ratted those thoughts our Wynwrights.

D
Old 05-10-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hear ya, wynwrights. I once came home from a painful dental visit, opened the frig, and saw a beer belonging to my husband (light drinker). My AV said, "you can have a beer because of the pain you're in, it's like a medicine"! Fortunately with AVRT i knew that voice could ONLY be my AV, because i'm a non-drinker. Shut the frig, took a tylenol, and a nap.