Notices

Is there a point to move forward with sobriety?

Old 05-01-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there a point to move forward with sobriety?

54yo male who drank beer daily for many years. I chose staying home and drinking than socializing with friends or attending some school events with my family. Granted, I did not make good choices. I've been sober for 57 days.

During my drinking times, my wife never said anything about it. Maybe she didn't want an argument. She even said "Do what you want, I don't care." Then today, she tears into me what a horrible father I have been and that, even now, they come to her for advice because I would just say "ask your mother" in the past. I already know this. I can't change what I've done. I'm here now to move forward. However, what's the damn point? It's noon somewhere.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

57 daze is a great start. What were the reasons you made a decision to quit? Likely therein lies the point.

At 54 I quit, sought support here and elsewhere and started to rejoin life. That was 4 years ago. Nothing special, just sick and tired of leading a bumbling, stumbling existence. Things didn't get better, I did.

The wake I left in my path, at best by apathy or worst intolerance of others and their opinions I only started to realize in sobriety. My actions and behaviors no longer mirror my values and beliefs. That was my point. Frankly it took some sober time for my brain to start working again to comprehend that last few decades.

Keep coming back
Old 05-01-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stuart9898 View Post
However, what's the damn point? It's noon somewhere.
the point is that even now you CAN change.
you CAN have a good relationship with your children and wife.
you CAn clear away the wreckage.
you CAN have a nice life alcohol free.
you CAN love yourself.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

However, what's the damn point?
That's your addiction whispering in your ear.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

The point (among many others) is to be able to be the best person you can be.

Congratulations on 57 days, it is an achievement but keep in mind that you were drinking for years. You just cannot expect your wife to sweep everything which happened over the course of years under the rug.
It will take time to gain back the confidence of your loved ones and the best way to do it is by staying sober.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One person's point may not be another's. Possible points that may resonate in your situation?

Demonstrating the character, capability and courage needed for change.

Demonstrating that power in the present (making the right decisions) leads to hope in the future.

Having your kids teach their kids one day that one's past need not be their future- and thinking of you every time they share that lesson.

I assume you began this journey because of a compelling point. As you continue on your path, the point will resonate more and more deeply, and more points will appear.

The opportunity is to hold tightly to the reasons you choose to begin this epic quest and have faith that your future will be better than your past.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Stuart. Lots of great comments from others here. My personal "point" for staying sober is that my life is better now than it was when I was drinking. I am healthier both physically and mentally, my job performance is much better, my relationships are FAR better and in general my outlook on life is much more postive.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Stuart!

Congratulations on your sobriety!

Things can and will get better as you continue in recovery. Your relationship with your children can begin to grow and improve. It takes patience and hard work, but your life can be better.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The point is that unless you dig in with both heels to sobriety, you'll never know what your life can become. Idk about you, but when my life is drawing to the close, the last thing I want to have is regrets because I spent my life drunk and selfish when there were people who needed me and loved me, but I said "what's the point"?
Old 05-01-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

While I was a daily drinker I showed people they couldnl't rely on me. In sobriety I had to prove I was trustworthy which took a good amount of time and work on my part. It's actions, not words, that count. And, in some cases it was too late.....relationships were permanently altered. The point is to keep the focus on yourself and your own words and actions.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Stuart

as others have said, the point is it's a better way to live. No more looking at yourself in shame in the mirror, no more not being there for things, no more hiding...

We all have to take our lumps.

The people I love went through a lot - they never bothered to challenge a drunk - no point... and so there was a little residual anger there from them, and from me.

I didn't get it for a while but once I put myself in their shoes I understood a little more.

The more I worked on my recovery and the more I stayed sober the better I felt and the better people felt around me

Stick with it man - it's worth it

be the man you want to be

D
Old 05-02-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are only 54. If you live another 25-30 years, that probably means half your kids lives, half your marriage would be lived sober.
I think the bigger question is why wouldn't you want to be sober and accountable for that time.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

My son revealed he had been off alcohol for just over a year recently. It's cool how his determination to live a healthy life has been a great model for his Dad. He's one of the reasons I decided to live life without alcohol. Maybe you can be a role model for your children and not the other way.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The point is to be there for them now.

Do you want to continue things as they are? Do you want them to keep going to their mom because they can’t count on you?

You have a lot of life ahead. How do you want it to be???
Old 05-02-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don't look back. You are not going that way.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

54yo male who drank beer daily for many years. I chose staying home and drinking than socializing with friends or attending some school events with my family. Granted, I did not make good choices. I've been sober for 57 days.

During my drinking times, my wife never said anything about it. Maybe she didn't want an argument. She even said "Do what you want, I don't care." Then today, she tears into me what a horrible father I have been and that, even now, they come to her for advice because I would just say "ask your mother" in the past. I already know this. I can't change what I've done. I'm here now to move forward. However, what's the damn point? It's noon somewhere.

Speaking for myself as soon as I stopped drinking the problems associated with alcoholism immediately stopped. By this I mean my wife gave me another chance. In addition I never have been fired from a job because of drinking.

Now, having said that sobriety hasn't been a bed of roses but my life certainly is moving in the right direction.

Best of luck!
Old 05-02-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We're delighted you're here with us, Stuart.

Welcome to our group(s).

There is a point to sobriety.

That point is the ability to live a life free of active addiction.

It permits us to be 100% participants in a world we previously shunned to pursue our addictions.

My life has been quite a blessing since I got sober.

There have been bumps along the path, to be sure, but the journey has been priceless.

I suggest that you select and follow a program of recovery and not simply try to do it on your own.

For me, that has been AA, and I have now been sober almost 1/2 of my life and more than 2/3 of my adult life.

I can promise you that a better world awaits you as long as you seize the opportunity and take advantage of the help that is available for alcoholics like us.

Keep us posted as to your efforts, amigo.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
zjw

A friend of mine got sober got slim and fit THEN his wife cheats on him and they divorce... he is baffled there marriage was happier when he was an obese drunk. Sometimes life is just like this and it doesnt have much to do with drinkjing or not drinking.

But I will say the dynamic can change when one gets sober and it can rock the marriage boat. What can you do> drinking is no solution. Going through the rough waters kinda sucks but drinking isnt going to make it better. I know for me I had to ask myself again and again why am i quiting? I say it all the time quiting drinking was he most SELFISH thing i ever did. I didnt quit for NO one But me!! now did everyone else in my life reap the rewards? sure they did but i didnt do it for them. i did it for me. So when the boat got rocked which did and will continue too I just buckled down and thought i'm not gonna comprimise on my sobriety over this or that. They dont like it they can get out of the boat i'm not drinking period!
Old 05-04-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sometimes people suffer in silence because they don't want conflict. When they get pushed hard enough, they eventually break. Living with addiction for years is hard, give her time. In the mean time, your sobriety should stay on top of what is important for your family to thrive.

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Honestly, all I want to do is outlive my parents. I have no wife or children. I just don't want my parents to have to deal with my end of life.