Notices

Getting rid of the bottles

Old 04-29-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting rid of the bottles

Dozens of empty malt beverage bottles I am throwing away today. One thought was what would my children think when they found them in my apartment if something happened to me. Not the first time doing this but let me make it my last. I got pretty sick...hiding my bottles even though I live alone. More of a housekeeping and symbolic sober chore. Of course, I don't want my neighbors to notice so I'm putting them in a black plastic bag and grocery cart and taking them all the way outside to the dumpster. A good feeling, but silly...grown man still maturing. Anyone else with bottles to dispose of?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Wisc. I hid my drinking in many ways, not just the empties. How about making a pledge today to not buy any more full ones?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

At the end of my drinking days, I was drinking entirely canned beer in large quantities, because it was easily available at the corner 7/11 and because I figured I'd probably wind up killing myself if I drank hard liquor - it's harder to get alcohol poisoning with beer. My recycle bin wasn't large enough, and I wasn't enough on top of it enough, to keep up with the empties, so I amassed a huge collection of empty beer cans, mostly in empty cardboard cases stacked high in my garage. The whole garage stank of stale beer. Once I quit drinking, I gradually got rid of the collection, but it still took a couple weeks of full recycle bins to do it.

It's really nice to never have to worry it again.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done, wiscsober
Old 04-29-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

When I was drinking I would wake up at 3am to dispose of my empties in the neighborhood church recycling bin so my neighbors would not see that I had a drinking problem. I am glad I can enjoy full night sleep these days.
I hope this is your last booze recycling chore ever.

You can do it ��
Old 04-29-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MrBrad

I noticed so many liquor bottles around Chicago Ave. in Minneapolis. Makes me so glad I don't drink anymore.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OMG the hiding and rehiding and finding and the being found out....on and on....I remember exactly what you are talking about. Like others said, such a relief not to do that ever again.

Good luck on your sober journey.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chore done! 3 weeks sober. My goodness the unmanageability simply taking out the trash and housekeeping.