Notices

Exercise/low blood sugar

Old 04-11-2018, 11:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Exercise/low blood sugar

Not looking for medical advise, just want to see if anyone else has experienced this.
I do not have a doctor in my new city or I’d go to them.
Lately I’ve got a lot of sudden feelings of nausea, weakness, hunger and dizziness at the same time. Usually in the afternoon.
Looked the feelings up online and and described perfectly as low blood sugar!
Gave up a lot of sugar by not drinking. Also running 4 days a week now (at least 5km each time- that’s a lot for me!). When I run I obviously sweat a lot since I didn’t used to work out a lot.
Anyone else experience low blood sugar with their lifestyle change?
Old 04-12-2018, 01:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think many of us deal with low blood sugar at some point - if it is low blood sugar I find little eats/grazing/nibbling through the day help a lot.

But...I hope you'll find a Dr soon Anarock cos really the only way to know for sure is to see a professional?

D
Old 04-12-2018, 03:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
I do not have a doctor in my new city or I’d go to them.
I would give your insurance carrier a call and they can give you a list of docs you can call to setup an appointment. Simple bloodwork can show if there are any issues that need to be addressed.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Do you have urgent care clinics there?
Old 04-12-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes...I definitely have this experience. My blood sugar jumps all over the place so I "try" to keep it steady by exercise and eating low carb. If you live near a Walmart you can buy a blood sugar meter to test your blood sugar. They are relatively inexpensive and the strips are inexpensive as well. I use the Relion brand. That way you can tell what foods or exercise effect you blood sugar.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know how long you have been sober but your electrolytes and other micro nutrients are probably out of whack.

Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more. If you exercise a lot get an electrolyte powder or tablet to add to your water. Sodium Chloride, potassium and magnesium get all messed up for us and the symptoms you describe could be that.

I drink a beverage in the morning consisting of apple cider vinegar (2T) lemon juice (2T) fresh ginger (2tsp) and cinnamon (1tsp) with plain sparkling water. It hydrates and I think it helps level out my blood sugar. Its all natural so it shouldn't cause any problems.

Have you dr take bloods...look at b vits and the minerals above, also do a fasting glucose. What you are describing sounds normal. Take it easy when you need to.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You've got a lot of different things happening there Anarock ( quitting drinking, diet change, exercise ) - and while we can certainly share that blood sugar variations are common in those who have recently quit, you really need to see a doctor for the answers to your questions.

For one, you really don't even know if blood sugar is a factor in your symptoms - you just looked it up online and assumed that's what it might be. Dr. Google can help you diagnose yourself with just about anything - believe me I know as a health anxiety sufferer.

As some have suggested, check with your insurance provider and get a checkup scheduled. And if things are too bad, go to Urgent care or the walk in clinic.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I get those symptoms when my electrolytes are off or when I'm not eating enough. Low blood pressure does it for me, which can be a lack of salt.

If I eat regularly and enough, I'm good.