Notices

Made it through night 1

Old 03-16-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it through night 1

Can barely type. Marriage hanging by a thread. Two little kids who have no idea. My wife is fed up. Is at her wits end. We're in seperate houses. Selling, buying, and staying in my mom's basement.

My wife calls me to plan the day and talk about me seeing the girls, and meeting for dinner, and going to storage, and getting me my toothbrush, and locking the door to the house, and where to leave a key.

And I'm like, "I'm just trying to make it to breakfast."

Thank you all for being here. How do i navigate this one?
Old 03-16-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Use the Serenity Prayer..

Keep it simple and use the Serenity Prayer, frequently...
Old 03-16-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome BumpBailey. The first days are very tough - use the support here and elsewhere. Have you considered seeking out help from a local support group as well?
Old 03-16-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How do i navigate this one?
good on ya for 1 day- most of us know thats an eternity!

learning how to prioritize is a good thing. number 1 priority: dont drink even if your ass is falling off.

early recovery is rough- no way around it. i had some days all i could do was trudge- put one foot in front of the other and do the next right thing. some of them days seemed like they were a week long. it was well worth trudging.

i also highly suggest seeking help from local support groups. F2F was very crucial for me to learn how to live a life of recovery and learn about myself.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. Not really a serenity prayer, big book, AA higher power guy, Thinking of finding a meeting though. Not for the principles, but the people. Very respectful of the program and people in it.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
How do i navigate this one?
good on ya for 1 day- most of us know thats an eternity!

learning how to prioritize is a good thing. number 1 priority: dont drink even if your ass is falling off.

early recovery is rough- no way around it. i had some days all i could do was trudge- put one foot in front of the other and do the next right thing. some of them days seemed like they were a week long. it was well worth trudging.

i also highly suggest seeking help from local support groups. F2F was very crucial for me to learn how to live a life of recovery and learn about myself.
Thanks Tom. Definately need to be around people in my situation, higher power or not.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The first few days are hard and fighting the temptation even when you have months sober will be hard. Just think about your girls. Where has drinking got you? Probably nowhere and I am getting a divorce myself, I decided to quit completely after I went on a 2 week drinking binge shortly after my marriage fell apart.

It's not a fun place to be but it's worth it. I have 23 days sober right now and I am very happy with that, when you get a week in, you'll start feeling like you have a handle on things, just don't give in to drinking no matter what especially if the marriage doesn't work out. It will only make things worse.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not really a serenity prayer, big book, AA higher power guy,
Me neither but I was so desperate I went to AA anyway. I couldn't get/stay sober on my own and the support of other alcoholics carried me through the worst of it. It's called "the gift of desperation" and without it I wouldn't have remained sober.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You said it - higher power or not, get around some people who are sober or trying to be. I don't care for the higher power stuff either but being in meetings is always good.

I've pushed my family life to the breaking point as well.

What are they worth to you?

Stay strong.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BumpBailey View Post
Thank you all. Not really a serenity prayer, big book, AA higher power guy, Thinking of finding a meeting though. Not for the principles, but the people. Very respectful of the program and people in it.
I really recommend going to an AA group, and be open for all the help and advice offered. I also thought I was "Not really a serenity prayer, big book, AA higher power guy", but when I'd sunken deep enough I went to my local AA group, just to find a bit of help and understanding... after the meeting I had a cigarette on the stairs outside with the guy who led the meeting - and after a short chat I ended up asking him to sponsor me... now I am 6 months sober and having the best time of my life.. I am still not a religious person but just being a bit open minded (or rather so low I didn't reject) the simple spiritual concepts of AA - shaped in my own personal way, really was key to saving my life... I can't put into words how much difference doing the 12 steps of AA did to my life, and I am so happy I did - best thing I did in my life.

Not only did i get rid of the drinking but my life just overall improved in all ways, and I am thankful for that - and when bad things happen in my life, I get through, without sinking back into drinking - or the endelss pit of depressive thoughts spinning in my head.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The AA material may seem a bit hard to grasp at first but if you keep going, even for the fellowship of others, it will open up to you.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How's it going Bump?
Old 03-20-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How ya doing bump?