Notices

Hardest Period Whilst Getting Sober

Old 03-10-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hardest Period Whilst Getting Sober

Hi all,
My last drink was on Wednesday night, I drank until I blacked out needless to say and was sick as a dog for the following couple days. Started feeling better today but God I want a drink, I just wish someone had some words of wisdom to stop me from walking down to that shop and grabbing a bottle.
I'm wondering is this the hardest time (the first week) or is there no such thing?
Old 03-10-2018, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

At the end of the day no part of it is harder than what you are describing at the moment. That regret and anguish at drinking. But the first eighteen months were particularly difficult for me given the poor sleeping, lack of appetite, dealing with rising anger. I guess it's different for all of us.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by NeverendingRose View Post
I'm wondering is this the hardest time (the first week) or is there no such thing?
There are a number of rough patches on the road to recovery, but the first few weeks are clearly the hardest.

Attaining sobriety is difficult. The struggle is real. But everyone who has any significant sober time (I have over seven 1/2 years) has gone through them.

So can you.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Recovery has ups and downs, but know that you never have to go through this part again. You've done the first few days without alcohol. That's major. Congrats to you! Stay hydrated, and try distracting yourself with chores, exercise, sleep or snacks. Keep posting. You can do this!
Old 03-10-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The hardest thing was swallowing my pride and giving up self reliance. I nearly choked on that. If you are an alcoholic of my type there are no magic words that anyone can say that will fix you. It is a tragedy how many people waste away, slipping and sliding hoping that one day someone will say just the right thing and their lives will change. Never happens.

I gave up self reliance and asked for help in AA. There I found the same answer, there was no magic bullet, I needed to work the steps to become connected to the Power that would solve my problem. And so it proved to be. I never drank again.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

I think the first month or so is the hardest. You’re breaking a bad habit as well as an addiction, it’s going to be tough.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is hard. Just remember that very few of us who accomplish it are superman or superwoman. This happiness is something you can obtain as well. I used to tell myself every morning I woke up "today is the day when I will be closer to the person I always wanted to be".GodBless!
Old 03-12-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No real words of wisdom but wishing you the best. Stay strong! And come here often, we've all got your back!
Old 03-12-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
G-Woman

For me, the first few weeks were the hardest because of the physical symptoms and the crippling anxiety. I had to wait for my nervous system to calm down.

I'm almost at 3 months, and physically I'm feeling much better. I still have lingering cognitive issues, but it's few and far between.

Remembering how I felt before is a great motivator for not picking up that drink. I never want to go through that ever again.

Rose - it DOES get better. Have faith in the healing process.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NeverendingRose View Post
Hi all,
My last drink was on Wednesday night, I drank until I blacked out needless to say and was sick as a dog for the following couple days. Started feeling better today but God I want a drink, I just wish someone had some words of wisdom to stop me from walking down to that shop and grabbing a bottle.
Hardest part physically? The first three months then on and off for most of the rest of the first year.

Emotionally and mentally? About 9 mo, and now, at 25 months.

I'm adulting and it's hard. I've chosen a wonderful life with a new husband and step daughter and this just happens to be a tough period. First world problems for sure - but their mine/ours- and I know I can only get through it by sticking close to my program. Closer, even, than I did at some points along the way.

Life has its ups and downs, and sobriety and recovery does too.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A good way to look at the uncomfortable feelings that first week whether it's drugs or alcohol, is that the pain is temporary. Depending how dependent you are, after you get through the initial detox hurdle and you start to feel better you see things from a different perspective.

This could be said too even for someone not dependent on drugs or alcohol, it still can be a hurdle to get through coming off of something.

But once you get through that hurdle, you're not at the end but the beginning. The beginning of a new way of life. But recovery is a process, it's not something that applies for the first week or two and then when you're feeling good you're good to go. Never take sobriety for granted. Do what's needed to maintain lasting sobriety.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi NeverendingRose. Congrats on making it through the first couple days, week 1 is right around the corner, you got this! I took my last drink of July 9th of 2014 and while there are always rough patches, (that's life really, am I right?) the first month is it's own kind of difficult. Stick with it and you never have to do this hard part ever again. Dorky or not, I used to think of that famous Churchill quote when I hit low moments at the beginning, "This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning". Keep your chin up and ask for help, there are so many resources out there including these forums, you're worth it!