Notices

Phone calls to other alcoholics

Old 02-28-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Phone calls to other alcoholics

What do you do when you call other alcoholics in the program. I am starting to practice this more and it can feel awkward and nervous at times. What to talk about? I have heard something about calling 2-3 AA members a day. How does this work for you? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just tell em who it is (and from which meeting in case they go to lots ) and ask them how they're doing. And when they ask you,be honest (no 'I'm fine ' ing if you're struggling. That'd be pointless.

It hasn't always got to be a long conversation. Esp at first. As you get to know people it'll naturally get easier.

BB
Old 02-28-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nez

Talk about how it makes you feel awkward and nervous to call.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

All you need to do is call and talk about how it's going, and be honest.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can keep it brief and just make small talk about how things are going with your recovery, or just let them know it's a "practice" call.
It's a very good thing to have numbers and reliable people that will pickup for when there is an emergency situation when you are thinking about drinking.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What everyone else said. I used to say "My sponsor is making me call..." and they would chuckle and tell me they were glad I did make the call.
I called women with long term, solid sobriety (still do) and they were always very kind and encouraging to me when I spoke with them (still are).
Old 02-28-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My experience isn't very PC. I've been in and out of AA for 14 years (in for the last 2 years continuously) and when I have called people I didn't know off the lists (and I'll bet there hasn't been more than 10 attempts) no one has EVER answered, or called back. That's in 3 states, multiple meetings. What gives? Haha. I'm not saying you shouldn't call however.

What HAS worked for me is a) sponsor and getting sponsor to introduce me to people at meetings b) arriving early/staying late so I can talk to people f2f and if we connect, ask them if I can have their number and use them as support. But still, I have only 3 ladies that I know I can call and they will pick up or return the call. Maybe it's me.... haha! Just kidding...I think....

Good on ya for doing what is suggested! That in itself is awesome. That way you are more likely to call when you are really in trouble.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand your reluctance.

The person you are calling will likely be very happy to hear from you.

Kudos on raising this inquiry as a thread topic.

Reaching out and asking for help is a great topic for all of us.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Sometimes I wuld ask a question about the program, or something I heard in a meeting and didn't quite understand.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think the phone call in general is going away. We don't even answer our home phone anymore. Too many junk callers. I do call my sponsor every day. There are a few other folks I have met at meetings that I call or text occasionally.

On the other hand, we have this wonderful Soberrecovery site. It didn't exist before the internet. I'm here almost every day.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
My experience isn't very PC. I've been in and out of AA for 14 years (in for the last 2 years continuously) and when I have called people I didn't know off the lists (and I'll bet there hasn't been more than 10 attempts) no one has EVER answered, or called back. That's in 3 states, multiple meetings. What gives? Haha. I'm not saying you shouldn't call however.

What HAS worked for me is a) sponsor and getting sponsor to introduce me to people at meetings b) arriving early/staying late so I can talk to people f2f and if we connect, ask them if I can have their number and use them as support. But still, I have only 3 ladies that I know I can call and they will pick up or return the call. Maybe it's me.... haha! Just kidding...I think....

Good on ya for doing what is suggested! That in itself is awesome. That way you are more likely to call when you are really in trouble.
I've only ever called people I've met and remember who they were. I think if I was going to call a stranger I'd prefer it to be someone on telephone duty. If I've ever written my number down for someone then I've made the effort to actually go and speak to that person myself as well.

BB