Notices

First sober holiday... Mixed feelings

Old 02-21-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lpg

First sober holiday... Mixed feelings

Hey all

So me and my fiancé booked a last minute holiday, excited to get away for a break but also feeling slightly anxious about going away as my usual holiday would consist of day drinking having a nap then more drinking.
How does everyone manage with holidays now their sober?
I kniw it will be good as at least I won't be waking up hungover every morning on holiday so I guess I'll get the most out of my trip.
Thanks lpg
Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Make some plans ahead of time to participate in non-drinking activities. Your "usual" holiday now consists of not drinking, right? ;-)

Call ahead to the hotel/resort you are staying at and see what they have available locally, or use google to check out attractions/activities in the area. Make a schedule for each day - write it down if you have to. Not sure if you attend recovery meetings or not, but there are meetings in almost every place in the world - cruise ships, resorts, places all around the world host them. You can also put some time in your schedule to spend on SR - there will likely be internet there too so you are never away from SR or other online resources.

Bottom line, your addiction is trying to pull one over on you. You'll be the same person when you get there as you are here now - and you dont drink. Make a plan.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful sober vacation LPG!!!

My vacations are so much better now. I enjoy them and remember them now. My strategy is to make sure I am spiritually fit, have a meeting schedule ready, and I don't future trip or reminisce. I work at staying in the moment and enjoying it.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm also going away in a few weeks - to a wedding in NEW ORLEANS of all things.

I found this post to be really inspiring this morning, check it out:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...stressful.html (Being drunk is stressful)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Samantha

Sober holidays are easy!
Up early, walk, breakfast, morning swim, sun, lunch, swim, sun, aqua gym, take a long time to get ready for dinner, dancing.
Bed early and repeat.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
I'm also going away in a few weeks - to a wedding in NEW ORLEANS of all things.

I found this post to be really inspiring this morning, check it out:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...stressful.html (Being drunk is stressful)

omg. I love New Orleans. I only visited once and I drank the whole time but still remembered and loved it. Please let me know what its like to do New Orleans sober. I've often pondered that.

Lpg...keep the faith. We all have to do some sober vacations at some point. Stressing about the same thing myself a bit. But its one of those sober milestone things we just have no choice but to discover. I'm sure there is both good and bad about it.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Lpg

Hey everyone thanks for replys. Great advice on keeping busy and I'm on my second day's here and it's great so far. I haven't thought about alcohol much at all since I got here and soaking up every bit of the holiday so far, really enjoying myself and no waking up feeling groggy and hellish. Thanks lpg
Old 02-24-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In the past, I didn't care much about meals when I was away.
Now, I absolutely love taking the time to find good restaurants.
We generally eat late when we're away, so the night comes to a close when the dessert is gone- back to the hotel or apartment, read my book for a while and then beautiful sleep. Actual sleep, not an alcoholic coma.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great advice and good to hear your report so far!

I'd also add one thing from my first and second year of sobriety trips - give yourself permission to exit stage left, right away, if you start feeling any kind of squirrely. Seriously- go back to the room, go get coffee somewhere, go to a movie, whatever - if you start feeling a break from [ ] is a good idea.

Have fun- see you sober when you're back!
Old 02-25-2018, 02:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
In the past, I didn't care much about meals when I was away.
Now, I absolutely love taking the time to find good restaurants.
We generally eat late when we're away, so the night comes to a close when the dessert is gone- back to the hotel or apartment, read my book for a while and then beautiful sleep. Actual sleep, not an alcoholic coma.
Yes it's so good to eat fabulous meals and savour them that's exactly how iv spent this trip, finished off with a massive ice cream and back to the room to watch some Netflix. Truly wonderful. ☺
Old 02-25-2018, 02:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Great advice and good to hear your report so far!

I'd also add one thing from my first and second year of sobriety trips - give yourself permission to exit stage left, right away, if you start feeling any kind of squirrely. Seriously- go back to the room, go get coffee somewhere, go to a movie, whatever - if you start feeling a break from [ ] is a good idea.

Have fun- see you sober when you're back!
Yes your so correct, yesterday my fiancé wanted to watch football at a bar so I decided to count myself out and went back to sit on the balcony and drink coffee. Not point putting myself through torture when I can enjoy the quiet peaceful sun. I know bars pubs aren't for me any longer and it's nice to have some alone time. X